Courteous and being real doesn't seem to compute with society these days :P

GG ~ :FlagAm:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty simple:

Smokers, be courteous.

Non-smokers, be real.

I have the "RIGHT" to impose my beliefs on everyone around me whether you like it or not! That is the new

politically correct way! Or is that the new Democratic way?

Last year at a large match, awards were handed out under pavilion. 2 smokers outside of pavilion, more then 20 feet away from pavilion, but could hear the announcements. From the middle, yes middle of pavilion a shooter approached the 2 smokers and asked if they would not smoke because his wife was allergic to smoke. She could smell it over 75 feet away. True Story! MT

I am also allergic to cigarette smoke and it gives me a terrible headache.......but not outside or from 75 feet away........even inside the stages there is enough fresh air that I don't mind the smoke.

Hi Folks,

We've had discussions about smoking before. They were never nice.

Once again, I am shocked at the ridicule and contempt heaped on non-smokers.

This would be a non-issue if smokers would use care to keep their smoke away from non-smokers. Is that too much to ask. IMHO, no!

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

As an ex-smoker, I avoid it as much as I can.

But shooting outdoors with gunsmoke present, it's one of the few places where I feel smokers still feel welcome.

I would ask that they not smoke at the loading or unloading tables, where I am compelled to stand, and just to be aware of their smoke everywhere else (especially if there is no breeze).

Most smokers are now pretty discreet about it anyway, and pards are more polite than average folk.

Hi Folks,

We've had discussions about smoking before. They were never nice.

Once again, I am shocked at the ridicule and contempt heaped on non-smokers.

This would be a non-issue if smokers would use care to keep their smoke away from non-smokers. Is that too much to ask. IMHO, no!

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

It would be nice if folks didn't have to deal with it at the LT, ULT, or from the TO.

Fillmore

It's pretty simple:

Smokers, be courteous.

Non-smokers, be real.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. We just finished our annual match at Black River, and some of the guys love to pull out cigars. I don't smoke except for the rare cigar, and I never noticed their cigar smoke. Simple courtesy goes a long way in this world.

Amen to the LT and TO comment!

At a recent match, I had to follow a cigar smoker (we used a shooting order that day). He smoked his cigar at the LT, during the stage, and at the ULT.

I should have said something to him. I did vent to another non-smoker on the posse. She told me another story about him. You see, when the range was first built some of the ladies designated one of the porta potties as "Women Only," with a sign. It is really annoying to get your jeans and skirts in the urine that is on the floor of the portas used by men! :blush::( Anyway, she waited and waited outside the "Women Only" porta, when who should emerge with his lit cigar... Needless to say, going in was nauseating for her (for more reasons than smoking... :blush: ).

Now, about the TO. My first year shooting, I needed coaching (new shooter syndrome ;) ). On one stage, I had a brain fade and had to ask the TO the shooting order of the next gun. Oh, wait, he was busy getting his cigarette pack back from one of the counters. :rolleyes:

Like Buck said "be courteous" and us non-smokers will "be real!"

Just saying!

Allie Mo

I am a non-smoker and always have been. When I am at a match and two of my good friends, Wyatt and Cypress Sun light up I simply move upwind. I've even handed off the spotters stick if I have too but I would never ask them to put it out. They have a right to do it and that's fine with me. I'll make do, I always have.

Being around cigarette smoke all my life has been a challenge. My parents smoked (and died from it) and I still remember watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show standing in the hallway, the door cracked and a cloth over my face while my parents sat in the living room smoking with my two brothers (who later smoked for many years). Or riding in the family car with my head out the window so I could breathe, even when it was raining. As for sensitivity, I can detect smoke from the car in front of me going down a highway. I have to close my window and vents. It's a pain but I'm used to it.

As for the unloading/loading table I hold my breathe and unload/load as quick as I can and step away to catch another breathe, but that doesn't really happen too often.

It's what I've done for 58 years, no big deal anymore. If it becomes too much of a problem I'll just put my guns up and hang back and watch or set steel or whatever. I'll still enjoy the company of all my SASS friends whether they smoke or not.

There's a big difference in gunsmoke, even BP gunsmoke and tobacco smoke. For some reason tobacco smoke causes my bronchial tubes to seize up and I go into a coughing spasm. I don't care if someone smokes or not, just please don't smoke where I have to inhale it.

Back in the day when I used to chew tobacco, I had some cards printed up that said:

I see you smoke

Well I chew

If you don't smoke on me

I won't spit on you

For you serious guys, I really didn't ever spit on anyone. This was all in jest!

Amen to the LT and TO comment!

At a recent match, I had to follow a cigar smoker (we used a shooting order that day). He smoked his cigar at the LT, during the stage, and at the ULT.

I should have said something to him. I did vent to another non-smoker on the posse. She told me another story about him. You see, when the range was first built some of the ladies designated one of the porta potties as "Women Only," with a sign. It is really annoying to get your jeans and skirts in the urine that is on the floor of the portas used by men! :blush::( Anyway, she waited and waited outside the "Women Only" porta, when who should emerge with his lit cigar... Needless to say, going in was nauseating for her (for more reasons than smoking... :blush: ).

Now, about the TO. My first year shooting, I needed coaching (new shooter syndrome ;) ). On one stage, I had a brain fade and had to ask the TO the shooting order of the next gun. Oh, wait, he was busy getting his cigarette pack back from one of the counters. :rolleyes:

Like Buck said "be courteous" and us non-smokers will "be real!"

Just saying!

Allie Mo

Morning Ma'am -

Agree with both your posts!

As someone who struggled for years to finally quit the habit - I know exactly how addicting it is.

It's the manners, or lack there-of in when and where, and likewise the inability to aim, that's

problematic.

Still - you can't blame them for reacting so vitriolic, most of the world is making the case how

bad a habit it really is, and is closing down the few places where one can go smoke in piece. Pretty

soon it will be like the old opium dens in California.

FWIW - it's a self correcting problem, it just takes patience . . .

Take care -

Shadow Catcher

Oh fer gawds sake...aren't we shooting outside???

What in the hell is going on in this world?????

Oy!

Vey!!

Guest jeweler jim

I'm a non-smoker. Use primarily Clay Dot, Bullseye, Unique and a few others...

Oh you mean the other stuff!?

Then that would be Partagas, Romero Y Julieta and a few of the cheaper sticks. Yesterday at the St. Jude match I managed to suck down three before noon. If'n I pi$$ed off some I apologize. Just tell me to move down wind. One of the few places I still get to fire up a stick or two during the matches and if'n it's a problem you can speak up, but if I'm a ways off and I see the fake coughing and other crap start you'll be asking me to make it a point to get closer. Just saying...

Told by my kids not to post this as "I'm too much of a smart a$$."

I don't have a problem with posse members smoking outside. Their health, their choice.

What does piss me off though is smokers leaving the cigarette butts all over the ground, props, ground out on the loading table, etc.

If you are going to smoke, at least pick up after yourself.

I'm a non-smoker. Use primarily Clay Dot, Bullseye, Unique and a few others...

Oh you mean the other stuff!?

Then that would be Partagas, Romero Y Julieta and a few of the cheaper sticks. Yesterday at the St. Jude match I managed to suck down three before noon. If'n I pi$ed off some I apologize. Just tell me to move down wind. One of the few places I still get to fire up a stick or two during the matches and if'n it's a problem you can speak up, but if I'm a ways off and I see the fake coughing and other crap start you'll be asking me to make it a point to get closer. Just saying...

Told by my kids not to post this as "I'm too much of a smart a$."

Yup! ....kinda ridiculous :lol:

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Well, ok as an ex-smoker let me jump out on this limb.......what urks be about smokers is the fact that they believe they have some kind of special right to smoke in public......you only have rights when they don't tread on someone else's rights.........

Some peoples let say "lifestyle" makes me uncomfortable. I get nauseated and shake and my blood pressure rises affecting my health and stress levels. Is it ok for me to demand that they change their "lifestyle". Afterall it does affect me. What a load of PC crap. Truth is folks that preach tolerance has zero for anything that they don't like. How on earth did all our grandparents live to be so old with all those terrible smokers in restaraunts,stores and work environments.

Well, ok as an ex-smoker let me jump out on this limb.......what urks be about smokers is the fact that they believe they have some kind of special right to smoke in public......you only have rights when they don't tread on someone else's rights.........

Very true. Here's the rub, who get's to define where my rights stop and yours begin? 75 feet? 100 ft? I don't smoke, but if I did and the smoke from my cig just happens to waft down to my neighbor four houses down did I infringe on his rights? Is he infringing on mine if he expects me to stop? Hence Buck's 'be real' comment.

From my perspective smoking and non smoking posses is 'not real'. Just the view from my saddle, YMMV. ;)

Very true. Here's the rub, who get's to define where my rights stop and yours begin? 75 feet? 100 ft? I don't smoke, but if I did and the smoke from my cig just happens to waft down to my neighbor four houses down did I infringe on his rights? Is he infringing on mine if he expects me to stop? Hence Buck's 'be real' comment.

From my perspective smoking and non smoking posses is 'not real'. Just the view from my saddle, YMMV. ;)

Dear Captain,

Most of us who don't appreciate the smoke would just like the smokers to keep a few feet back from the action. By action I mean the areas like LT, ULT, shooting line. I have no problem with smokers if they step back. It only seems like courtesy. Is that too :wacko: to understand?

Regards,

Allie Mo

Some peoples let say "lifestyle" makes me uncomfortable. I get nauseated and shake and my blood pressure rises affecting my health and stress levels. Is it ok for me to demand that they change their "lifestyle". Afterall it does affect me. What a load of PC crap. Truth is folks that preach tolerance has zero for anything that they don't like. How on earth did all our grandparents live to be so old with all those terrible smokers in restaraunts,stores and work environments.

Thank you for posting!

Please let me know where you shoot so I can request to not posse with you. I wouldn't want to subject you with my idea of courtesy.

Oh wait, you don't want us to know who you are.

I've encountered that type of person before and if you are afraid to reveal information about yourself, you are a .... sorry, I can't really say what I think or I might be banned from the Wire.

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS What a load of self-centered crap!

I can see, Cowboy Camaraderie, Courtesy, respect, etc. ends when a CAS meets another CAS, one smokes, the other doesn't, even though the smoker stays uphill, in the open and tries to show respect to those that don't. I guess we're not one happy family as led to believe.

Reading some attitudes I never expected to read. MT

Allie, nothing you've ever posted that I read was hard to understand, or controversial. You seem to be inherently 'real' to me in your interactions with others. I was responding to Billy's post about smokers thinking they have a special right to smoke in public. I'm no expert, and I certainly don't have a corner on the 'truth' whatever that is. But from my viewpoint the right to smoke lies somewhere between the extremes of: not in public or where any rabid antismoker just might get a whiff, and, right next to you and blowing it in your face. I don't care about people smoking on a posse with me, but I don't want the TO puffing away while he runs the timer for me.

It just seems that there are more people who are currently on the first extreme than the second. Years ago it was the other way around, you might get stuck in an enclosed space with a bunch of smokers who couldn't care less if they were choking you. Trust me, I served for years on a submarine with lots of smokers, if that isn't the definition of infringing on my right not to choke I don't know what is.

I'm inherently inclined to err on the side of letting people do as they please absent some compelling, proven reason to the contrary. Other people are inclined to err on the side of making rules prohibiting things they don't like. I don't like to be told what I can and can't do and I figure other people feel the same way.

Smokers don't need special rights to light up in public. If ya are in the cafe and the person at the table next to ya lights one up, ya have the right to move if it bothers ya. No different than if the baby at the next table is crying nonstop and throwing a hissy fit. Or maybe someone at the other table passes gas real bad and it offends ya. JUst get up and leave, if ya feel uncomfortable. Don't blame everything on a smoker. Refried bean eaters are worse than smokers anyday. :lol: :lol:

It's pretty simple:

Smokers, be courteous.

Non-smokers, be real.

+1

I'm a non-smoker. If someone smokes, so what? They have a right to smoke if they want. I don't care. If it starts to bother me (seldom does), I just move away or upwind. Just so long as they don't blow it in my face :)

+1 BDL

Two thoughts:

1) Please refrain from smoking aournd someone loading their cap-n-ball revolvers. That kind of excitement is not desired.

2) Let's have a non-smoking posse who all shoot in the same category, wear frilly clothes and shoot limp wristed. This response is very polictically incorrect, but even this non-smoker (and horn player who is somewhat sensitive) knows that we are outside and that the gunsmoke, smokeless and BP, are ever present. I shoot in tobacco country (central NC) where many, many people smoke, but this has never come up as a problem on a stage.

What Buck D. Law said.

Years ago, I worked with folks with a variety of addictions - not just smoking but coffee and even chocolate!!

Many of the folks found they were allergic to what they were addicted to. So they had to keep using to avoid the sypmtoms of withdrawal. It could be painful for them to say the least. Extreme headaches, etc. I know because I had that problme with coffee. I drank a few cups every morning and maybe some at night. On Sundays, after not having coffee - I got severe head aches!

One of the key symptoms of addictions is the fear and sensitivity about the addition. So it is natural to expect that folks that are addicted to smoking may be very defensive about it. Especially since society is restricting it more and more. So being courteous is difficult for them as you can see from some posts.

Another problem for many smokers is that they too do like the smoke, so they naturally get upwind of their smoke. I used to see that a lot at restaurants. The problem is that the non-smoker is then much more likely to be down stream. I've been to a few awards where the smokers were trying to be helpful, but they probably didn't realize that they were up stream just on the edge of the crowd while all the smoke went into the enclosure and was sorta trapped in their, just as the rest of the folks were. That is one reason, some complain.

They often forget that some folks have respiratory problems such as asthma. Sometimes black powder doesn't both them, but smoke often does. And, yes it can even be fatal in rare cases. I've seen a few folks get caught by surprise from smoke and cough until they turned blue. And I know they may have problems for a few days following that.

Now, many are just not polite about smoke because it "bothers" them. Such folks need to be as polite as they would as of the smokers. Don't make a big deal, just get up wind as soon as possible.

But those who enjoy a good smoke, please take a deep breath and realize that there are more of us old folks who have health issues that are bothered by smoke.

I smoke outdoors, except when in the few southern states where ash trays are still on tables. Even when sitting around camp I note the direction of the breeze and position myself on the downwind side of the group. Beyond that, fer crissakes, we eat meat grilled on charcoal (known by the state of commiefornia to cause cancer, reload lead bullets (ibid), and inhale primer dust and powder smoke (same). WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE, and my smoking in your presence likely presents LESS hazard than the deisel truck that passed ya on the way to the range, or his brakes and rubber dust when he stopped in front of ya. Ya all wanna eat, so nobody bellyaches about trucks (asthma from inhaled rubber dust on interstate highways kills kids) get a grip on some perspective.

A lot of emotion stirred up by a simple and forthright question. I don't smoke. Call me one a "Sissy" I guess. :rolleyes:

Smoking killed both my parents. I prefer not to be in close proximity of smokers. Even outside. It's a shame that the addiction will not let people refrain for a few hours. It's a very powerful thing unfortunately.

But... that said, I realize the difficulty of non-smoking posses administratively. Especially for small clubs. It's just not practical usually. I think simple courtesy on the part of both smokers and non-smokers will resolve most issues. But some folks would rather be confrontational than courteous, and that's on both sides.

A lot of emotion stirred up by a simple and forthright question. I don't smoke. Call me one a "Sissy" I guess. :rolleyes:

Smoking killed both my parents. I prefer not to be in close proximity of smokers. Even outside. It's a shame that the addiction will not let people refrain for a few hours. It's a very powerful thing unfortunately.

But... that said, I realize the difficulty of non-smoking posses administratively. Especially for small clubs. It's just not practical usually. I think simple courtesy on the part of both smokers and non-smokers will resolve most issues. But some folks would rather be confrontational than courteous, and that's on both sides.

+1 on both counts!

Archived