SASS Wire Forum

Posse for non-smokers

As sheriff of the Coyote Valley Cowboys, I was asked by one of our members if I would consider having a designated posse for non-smokers. I'm not a smoker myself and am not overly annal about those who do, but I do think it is a valid request. These same shooters I'm sure would also consider black powder shooters a threat to their health. Lets face it, we consider smoke a natural part of cowboy action shooting, but do we know or even care about the health consequences especially for our younger shooters. What does the SASS wire think? Are there SASS clubs out there that have a policy regarding smoke, black powder and/or tobacco?

Thanks, Bad Eye Bobolu

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had a pretty severe drought last year in Texas. We were told by our landowner that there would be no smoking on the range, save for some designated areas with fire buckets. It went over well, and people did understand. We have extended the smoking ban to include any of the buildings on the firing line. 7 of our 10 full time stages are in buildings, and we try to shoot them most of the time. I don't feel that BP smoke is the worry that cigarette/cigar smoke is.

Goody (what smoked for 30 years but quit in 2001)

I seriously doubt that it is feasable. Even if you have a non smoker posse to avoid cigarette smoke or blackpowder, smoke from adjacent stage will be coming your way. It is unavoidable. One way to avoid any kind of smoke is not to shoot at all and not be at a cowboy shoot. What fun is that. Or another option is to wear gas mask while you are shooting. Or one more yet option is to hold your breath during a match. You would also look funny when your face start to turn blue. It ain't cowboy. Only my opinion and I'm sure some one will chime in and put their .02 cents worth. Just my .02 cents worth. Adios. BTW, I don't smoke. I just let my guns do the smoking for me. Adios.

Actually there are far fewer carcinogens in BP and smokeless powder than tobacco.

What does the SASS wire think?

All posse members required not to smoke tobacco at the matches when their is a fire hazard due to the weather is an absolute correct call.

Segregation of posses between tobacco smokers and non smokers IMHO is PURE UNADULTERATED BS based on those that believe x parts of tobacco smoke per y thousand feet of cubic air is detrimental to their health when a tobacco smoker is standing by their cart away from the firing line! In fact, I deem them to be Wackos!

* Black powder smoke is primarily potassium bicarbonate and potassium sulfide

* Triple based (Nitroguanidine) smokeless powder derivatives are used as insecticides, having a comparable effect to nicotine. Derivatives include clothianidin, dinotefuran, imidacloprid, and thiamethoxam. Do these whiners wear a breathing respirator when they shoot 25 rounds per stage at the firing line breathing in their smokeless powder smoke when it is blowing back in their face?

it's bad enuff that some city and county officials have deemed it necessary to ban smoking in OUTDOOR PARKS !!! :(

Banning it at a match,or thinking that being on a non smoking possee OUTSIDE is going to help much..if at all..is just pure wishfull thinking.

Now,if ur bays are covered to the point that you are not 'outside',then I agrree,no smoking in the bays,.

I have never smoked,don't hold it against those that do,but smoking inside IS a bother to me and LOTS of non-smokers. please keep it outside. thanks !

Oh fer gawds sake...aren't we shooting outside???

What in the hell is going on in this world?????

Oy!

+1

If you're going to have a non-smoker posse, then you'll need a smoker posse. and then one for the black powder only and of course, one without black powder. Of course, even smokeless powder SMOKES so maybe you could issue Scott Airpacks to the non-smokers just so's they can breathe nice, fresh and clean air. (If you've ever worn one of those contraptions then you know the air in them bottles ain't zactly fresh and clean smelling!!!) Perhaps you could have a smoke free posse where the contestants only shoot airsoft or paintballs or something. Of course, the smoke from posse A would, depending on the wind, probably infect said smoke-free posse necessitating the use of baffles, big fans or a force field to keep all that nasty smoke out.

On the other hand, if you have such demographics that would support the numbers of 'non-smokers' on a posse, I say go for it. (But you can bet ol' Dubious thinks this is a STUPID idea and it would serve certain people right if they ended up on the me-myself-and I posse...)

Oy!

+1

Durn it Phantom, either you are making more sense lately or I'm weakening in my older age :o .

I thought this one should be over in the Saloon with the other jokes and parodies. :P

Good luck at EOT!

Black powder Smoke don't seem to bother me much,,,, Pipe smoke the same ,,,, Most cigars no problem outdoors.....

But a good dose of Cigirette smoke is hard on my lungs even outdoors .... So please don't smoke while ROing where the shooter can't escape your smoke ...

Or where the smoke is filling the loading or un-loading table area...

Jabez Cowboy

A non-smoking posse probably will not save someone's life, but it won't hurt anything, so go ahead and designate one.

Once we get that established, we can use it as a precident to establish the Baptist posse.

Duffield

Not very practical.

It would be easier to form a smokers posse as there are far fewer smokers these days.

But, eventually you still need to balance posse sizes. What do you tell the few that can't get in?

Registration at monthly matches is a headache already. Adding another qualifier to a posse structure is making it more difficult. Thinking the posse should not have to many new shooters, include a balance of people that can function as a posse, friends with friends, seperate those that may not play well together, black powder folks together, put kids with other kids, folks sharing equipment, family with family, gamers with each other....you get the idea?

I read the post and thought, gee this guy must be from California. Whoops, I was right. They must be getting to ya! :rolleyes:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Are you serious about actually forming smoking and non-smoking possees? Or are you joshing?

It wouldn't work at a local match where we only have enough Pards to make up one posse.

Now I'm recollecting a scene from Quigley Down Under. Matthew was trying to roll his own smoke and was having a hell of a time doing it in the wind. :lol:

Mustang

Last year at a large match, awards were handed out under pavilion. 2 smokers outside of pavilion, more then 20 feet away from pavilion, but could hear the announcements. From the middle, yes middle of pavilion a shooter approached the 2 smokers and asked if they would not smoke because his wife was allergic to smoke. She could smell it over 75 feet away. True Story! MT

Oy!

My feelings exactly. And I smoke as much as a chimney in a Wisconsin winter.

As sheriff of the Coyote Valley Cowboys, I was asked by one of our members if I would consider having a designated posse for non-smokers. I'm not a smoker myself and am not overly annal about those who do, but I do think it is a valid request. These same shooters I'm sure would also consider black powder shooters a threat to their health. Lets face it, we consider smoke a natural part of cowboy action shooting, but do we know or even care about the health consequences especially for our younger shooters. What does the SASS wire think? Are there SASS clubs out there that have a policy regarding smoke, black powder and/or tobacco?

Thanks, Bad Eye Bobolu

Please tell me they wear a hazmat siut and respirator when handling the lead bullets as they reload too! Give me a break, I can see if it poses a fire danger, otherwise I say stay home on the porch. I'm not a smoker and never have been, but as others have said, we are outdoors.

last Sat we had 6 shooters total which is twice as many as we had in May. This is in Pampa not the Canadian R. Regulators down in Clarendon. I only smoked away from the other 5 shooters. Would hate to have to shoot on a posse of 1. Even down in Clarendon on the 3rd Sat shoot we only have enuff folks for one posse. Usually on the 2nd Sat we will have enuff for two posses but here lately it is like 8 or 9 per. If we split it by smoking and non smoking, I would be on a posse of one and 17 would be on the other one.

I shot down there at Goody's place and it wouldn't be so bad if the smoking pavilion wasn't 900 yards away from the firing line. Kinda cut into my brass shaggin' but at least I got my exercise. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I say go for it. Set up a posse that is non-smoking each month and see how many sign up. I am willing to bet there wouldn't be enough to make an adequate size posse and that's fine. Don't fold them into any other posse and see how long it lasts.

Wyatt........stopped smoking 10 mos ago

A variation of this subject came up about a year ago. The majority didn't seem to mind if there was smokers on the posse, but there was a few that were bothered by cigarette/cigar smoke. I suggest that rather than ask people that you don't shoot with (the Wire), to ask the folks you do shoot with. Do it at the shooters meeting where it all of your customers can be privy to the suggestion.

For the record, I'm a smoker. I try to be respectful of non-smokers. If the match is an open air match, I think the segregation of smokers/non-smokers to be completely inane. There is (IMO) far more health risk from the gun smoke, black powder smoke, wind borne dust from the berms/lead impacts than there ever will be with tobacco smoke in an open air scenario. To test this theory, blow your nose after the match. Do you think that all of that black snot is tobacco smoke? It's not, it's the vaporized lead, dirt, dust and all of the other crap that was inhaled during the match.

I firmly believe that in order to accommodate a few, dissention will be created among others.......kind of a damned if you do, damned it you don't situation.

Your mileage may vary, CS

Those that are opposed to people smoking outside should have the forsite to bring their own gas mask.

At our gun club, we ask the smokers to step to the front of the bay to smoke. That way they are away from the firing line. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

You have every right to be offended. Of course, I also have every right not to care.

Now fer a complete change up...

OK!!

Stage #3...

Say yer line..

Listen for the Beep..

On the clock.. light up a cigarette and blow a perfect smoke ring..

Can't put yer first round downrange til the T/RO says "That's a good one"

That would cause a bottleneck wouldn't it...

and.. all the smokers would be complainin'

"Look at them folks.. they can't blow a smoke ring fer nuthin'.. We'll be here all day.."

That wouldn't be fair either...would it?

Rance <_<

Thinkin' I had to light one up & think a little about it before posting..

and nope.. I can't blow a smoke ring either :lol:

Had a match quite a few years back..

Had to go through the mine shaft... Light the stick of dynamite (fire cracker) and throw it into the shaft..

They furnished a few books of paper matches and the fire crackers.. kind of a damp dewey morning..

About 4-5 non smokin' cowboys asked me.. "Hey Rance.. can I bum a cigarette fer this stage?" "Yep.. go fer it"

They're all still alive and well :) thanks God fer cowpokes that are period correct..

Just funnin' a little folks. :)

Those that are opposed to people smoking outside should have the forsite to bring their own gas mask.

At our gun club, we ask the smokers to step to the front of the bay to smoke. That way they are away from the firing line. Doesn't seem to be a problem.

You have every right to be offended. Of course, I also have every right not to care.

+1

I agree with Wyatt, if you have folks making an issue out of it give them their own posse. If there are enough of them to get all the posse duties done more power to em. If not they can put up with the smokers or go home.

If non-smokers wish to have a posse that is non-smoking that's fine. I know of several who are trying to break the habit and it's really hard for them. Maybe being around other non-smokers is good for them. ...but not allowing BP in said posse is going overboard IMHO.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Guest Texas Jack Black

Oh I can see it now, the SINGLE ACTION SISSY SHOOTERS SOCIETY what a slide :wacko: :wacko:

Archived