SASS Wire Forum

You Make the Call -

Major Forsyth

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

However, standing on home plate and facing the pitcher, the left most base is not 1st base.

true...but the base 90 feet down the right field line has always been called First Base. That is where the left handed baseman usually resides. (Advantage there goes to the left handed baseman's glove on his right hand.)

NOT an answer :mellow::unsure::mellow::unsure:

My point is that it depends on the match venue.

There are those who are insistent that "anything goes" barring instructions to the contrary VS the literalists who say that "#1" means the ONE on the left/top/front (i.e. "as written").

Same as the previous discussion regarding where a Nevada Sweep starts...on the left? either end? in the middle??

Various clubs have their "conventions" re: target engagement orders...the issue is what happens when a shooter goes to a match/club with a different viewpoint than his/her home club as to what is/is not allowed.

Bottom line...stage instructions SHOULD BE CLEAR as to shooter's options.

OR

Announce any universal defaults during the shooter meeting (or publish it in the match book) so there are no misunderstandings during the event.

My point is that it depends on the match venue.

There are those who are insistent that "anything goes" barring instructions to the contrary VS the literalists who say that "#1" means the ONE on the left/top/front (i.e. "as written").

Same as the previous discussion regarding where a Nevada Sweep starts...on the left? either end? in the middle??

Various clubs have their "conventions" re: target engagement orders...the issue is what happens when a shooter goes to a match/club with a different viewpoint than his/her home club as to what is/is not allowed.

Bottom line...stage instructions SHOULD BE CLEAR as to shooter's options.

OR

Announce any universal defaults during the shooter meeting (or publish it in the match book) so there are no misunderstandings during the event.

OK, kinda' what I've been saying all along...it's up to the Club or if it doesn't say which you should be able to start on either end! I always ask first.

OK, kinda' what I've been saying all along...it's up to the Club or if it doesn't say which you should be able to start on either end! I always ask first.

You just reinforced my position...that's how YOU see it...not necessarily right or wrong...but others may have a different default in lieu of specific direction.

true...but the base 90 feet down the right field line has always been called First Base. That is where the left handed baseman usually resides. (Advantage there goes to the left handed baseman's glove on his right hand.)

Also true.

Right hand batter runs in a forward direction from home plate to 1st base,,,, 'left" to 'right'... advantage to right hand hitter which usually is a right handed person. :D Lefties have to start off running backwards and then somehow get twisted around to run forwards. :) Just like in SASS. LOL.

Also true.

Right hand batter runs in a forward direction from home plate to 1st base,,,, 'left" to 'right'... advantage to right hand hitter which usually is a right handed person. :D Lefties have to start off running backwards and then somehow get twisted around to run forwards. :) Just like in SASS. LOL.

I always heard switch hitters could get to first base faster hitting left handed?? A step or two closer.

I always heard switch hitters could get to first base faster hitting left handed?? A step or two closer.

Proper follow-through post-swing/hit will point a lefty in the "right" direction to head for first.

Switching from right-handed to left between pitches will often leave far right field basically unattended.

BTDT (Pony League many years ago). ;)

The new definition of insanity....insanity is when a question is posed on the wire as a 'you make the call'

and everyone has a different answer.

Two questions that haven't been asked. What did the stage instructions show? Did they number the targets in a diagram?

And when reading the stage description did the person point at the targets to explain the sequence? In other words to help the explanation did they point at the target on the left and call it 1 and so on.

Ike

The new definition of insanity.

...insanity is when a question is posed on the wire as a 'you make the call' and everyone has a different answer.

C'mon, Ike, don't act so surprised. ;)

How long have you been hangin' around the Wire anyways?

Two questions that haven't been asked. What did the stage instructions show? Did they number the targets in a diagram?

And when reading the stage description did the person point at the targets to explain the sequence? In other words to help the explanation did they point at the target on the left and call it 1 and so on.

I'm sure that if that had happened, the OP would have stated so. ;)

You just reinforced my position...that's how YOU see it...not necessarily right or wrong...but others may have a different default in lieu of specific direction.

OH, I get it now.....you are running for Office :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wacko::rolleyes:

Give it a try. Run backwards for the first three to four steps then turn and run normally. I'll give you one (1) step advantage (difference between one side of Home Plate and the other side that is closer to 1st Base). OR,,,, start off running as you normally would, straight away.

Simple Solution: PUT IT IN THE STAGE DESCRIPTION!

If you want the shooter starting with the left target say so.

This is supposed to be fun, between all of those that get their tighty whities in a knot over what target is number one to the ones screaming for rigid unbending rules, I am starting to see a problem and it isn't the stages!

Gee people this is starting to sound like a bunch of range lawyers arguing over a foot fault in the "other" game

Hey Pale Wolf

Thats one of the reasons why I read the wire. Especially 'You make the call" posts. It is always very interesting how these things spin out. What is really funny is people waiting for you to render an answer and then they still go on with opinions that don't match the answer. Oh well. It's fun.

Ike

Archived