SASS Wire Forum

OT single-stage press

Oddnews SASS# 24779

To the fire:

I use a Dillon for progressive reloading, and for about 15 years I've used an RCBS Reloader Special 3 press for my single stage needs.

As a result of a complex trade with my brother, I ended trading off my RS 3. I still have a Lee full-size single stage press, but I'm thinking of investing in something a little heavier in the name of bench stability and precision.

I have some ideas of my own, but I'd appreciate input on what you'd buy in the same situation. There are good deals out there for Lyman and RCBS starter kits that come with a ton of accessories -- that I don't need, I'm already a reloader and don't need the accessories.

Interested in hearing your ideas/reasons.

Thanks in advance.

I have been considering a Lyman T-Mag.

Go for it. After I got a T-Mag for rifle loading (things I don't want to run through a Dillon progressive), I've not screwed a die set into my single stage press again. The old Lyman single stage now just gets used for busting bulged bases off of 45 auto cases.

Good luck, GJ

Lee Turret. Simple and effective imho.

In a single stage press, the RCBS Rock Chucker is the press all others are judged by. Still the best press of it's type anywhere in the World.

RBK

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Lyman Crusher. The RCBS is a better press because it has had no problem in the 15 years I have used it. The Lymann has a hinge pin that keeps drifting out of place causing lockups (I just pound it back in and move on) Plus it is getting a little wobbly as a result.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Lyman Crusher. The RCBS is a better press because it has had no problem in the 15 years I have used it. The Lymann has a hinge pin that keeps drifting out of place causing lockups (I just pound it back in and move on) Plus it is getting a little wobbly as a result.

If you take a large center punch and peen a couple of dings into the edge of the hinge pin on each end, it will probably quit backing out.

Good luck, GJ

I bought my Rockchucker over 40 years ago and is still loading fine. There is no better single stage press

in my opinion. Like Lefty Dude said it will be loading ammo way after I am gone. You do not need a no BS

guarantee with the RCBS! Come to think about it I have a bunch of 44/40's in the basement to load tonight.

My first press was a RockChucker. I had to dismount it because there was no room on the bench that is now occupied by a MEC Sizemaster and Hornady LNL-AP, but I would not sell it. Maybe I can turn this into a "reason" to buy a cowboy long range rifle, since I already have a press to make the ammo.

Another vote for the Rock Chucker. I bought mine new over 30 years ago. No complaints. I did upgrade the handle to a Dillon round ball handle I had laying around.

My progressive presses are Dillon.

My 50 BMG press is a LEE. For the amount I reload, I could not justify the cost of the RCBS or Dillon equipment. If I owned a Ma Deuce or Barrett my press would be Blue for sure!

...I use a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme...

Bought my rockchucker in 1971. The primer catcher was aluminum instead of the plastic they came out with later. I use it for the heavy duty work only. I have a Lee press mounted under the gazebo on my dock. Spend too much time on the dock anyway. Might as well do something useful out there.

Lee Classic Turret Four-Hole Press. Love mine and use it for pistols and rifle.

...I use a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme...

...and did I mention that I love my single stage press and load Ms. Mary Matilda's and my revolver and rifle bullets on it... ...2 matches per month for both of us, more than 480 rds. per month... ...and yes, each of the rounds is loaded with Schuetzen Ffg...

Archived