SASS Wire Forum

Buckles / Trophies ... or shooting in YOUR category.

So, EOT is chopping away at categories this year to "save $". Ok, they're actually just enforcing a policy (10 shooters/men, 5 shooter's/women)that they have had in place for a while. And part of me can understand it...

BUT, for a FCGF it's a Major deal. We don't simply move to a different age bracket, we are Cut.

Our choices are;

A. Shoot Duelist/Double Duelist (sorry, I'm a Gunfighter).

B. Shoot Gunfighter (sorry, I've tuned a rifle to run dirty, I've tuned my eyes to "switch to Sonar" on command, I've learned to shoot a double pretty good, not fast enogh to keep up with the Racer '97's... but pretty good, and I have Black Powder loads that I am used to.

C. Stay Home.

So, since I'm not happy with the "Ten shooter's or Stay Home" situation, I've been thinkin about what some alternatives might be.

I figure the two reasons for the "minimum policy" are;

1. COST - Small clubs do not want to buy awards for 15 categories when only 7 of them have ten or more shooters.

2. STATUS - Only 9 shooter's sign up for a category, what's the "status" of having won a "Top Ten" award? Who wants to be awarded for being last, or next to last?

My (question) POLL is this; what means more to you, the Award, or the Experience of Competing In Category?

Sure, we can all show-up and shoot whatever we want, but "Competing" against your buddies who shoot like you is what makes this fun. How long would you keep shooting if you were the only one who showed-up at the range each month? Friends make it better, Friendly Competition makes it betterer!

SASS assures me that based on past experiements, if they don't hand out big/expensive awards then people raise hell. I'd like to know how many feel that way.

Given a choice, would you rather;

A. Current Policy.

- Must be (10 men/or 5 women) shooter's for a category to happen.

- Buckle for First, Top Ten buckles or a Plaque/Statue for the next 9 shooters.

B. Prorated Policy *if you have more than 9, see "A" above*

- Must have 5 (but less than 10) shooter's for a category to happen.

- Buckle for First, Plaque/Statue/Ribbon for the next 4 shooters.

C. El-Cheep-O Policy *if you have more than 9, see "A" above*

- Must have 5 (but less than 10) shooter's for a category to happen.

- Scores tallied, Places Posted, Bragging rights fairly earned, Beers bought...

- For those who live for the hardware, SASS has a "Winner's Buckle" system set up, there is an order form in every Chronicle, you earned the right to wear the buckle, go buy yorself one!

I know some people figure that if SASS is getting 300-500 people to pitch-in $250 each, then SASS can afford to buy some hardware. That is a valid point.

I also know some people (me for example) would rather shoot in-category/with competition.

Sure, I can show up in a polka-dot shirt and say I was the fastest polka-dot shirt wearing FC Gunfighter. Thats no fun. Get 5 or more of us wearing silly matching shirts, and you just made it a Race! Isn't that why we have so many rules/timer's/spotters, to make it a Race?

Hell NO, I'm no Gamer/Competitor. Thats not why I shoot. But, when I hear the beep, I give it my best. And if I can raz a buddy I beat (who usually kills me), then all the better.

Ok, rambling is over.

What would you prefer;

A.

B.

or C?

As always,

I'm just sayin...

Bones.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know you are going to get Options D, E and F!

Here are mine:

D. Have all sanctioned categories at EOT no matter how few people are in them. BUT, any category that doesn't have 5 or 10 (or whatever number they want) at EOT gets put on probation. Any category that failed to meet the number two years in a row gets deleted.

E. Revise the category system to reduce the number of categories, basing them on Shooting Style, Propellant, Dress/Accoutrements and then use a flexible subdivision by age that can be expanded and contracted based on the number of shooters. This would allow shooters to ALWAYS sign up and stay in their category. There should be no question that the category exists and will be available at a shoot. The only adjustment that would be made would be how many age-based sub divisions of each category would be created.

I will leave F to someone else!

I will never have to think about winning a buckles or trophies.I try to shoot SGF,I shoot faster shooting two-handed.,I shoot better and faster double dualist ,but I have more fun shooting old man gunfighter.If they done have my category ,I would still shoot gunfighter.Put me in with the fast ones,I just want to shoot.I will never get to go to EOT but I just want to shoot and have fun.I hope that ever Categories have all they need.

This is the World Championship. If it is an approved category, then there should be a World Champion buckle for every approved category that has shooters. No ifs, ands or but about it.

CS

This is the World Championship. If it is an approved category, then there should be a World Champion buckle for every approved category that has shooters. No ifs, ands or but about it.

CS

I agree.

You can CUT it any way you want; I really do not care about wood or a buckle, but as I have stated in other posts, AT LEAST recognize the category winner. I have enough wood on the wall and more buckles than I need, just recognize the category winner. If a match wants to adjust the 'winner' stuff based on numbers entered, fine...... but recognize the category. :wacko: IJAFG!

It all comes down to the bucks. Its not only EOT, but many large clubs are also putting disclaimers on their applications, minimum requirement to have a category recognized. What this will eventually do, is eliminate the low numbered categories at large matches, and eventually monthlies.

But its sad that the parents of SASS will no longer recognize categories which are approved, and endorsed, are now at the mercy of attendance numbers.

Why is it that mostly the small clubs, that hold annuals, with over 100 to 150 shooters can have application fees so low, sometimes 20 to 40% lower, recognize all categories, even if only 1, with a buckle, thropies, plaques. Have a delicious meal afterwards, many times catered.

Myself, starting this year, I'll be more carefull with my bucks on what large matches away from home I'll be attending, and recognizing my category will be a criteria, along with entry fees, sidematch fees, and extra meal fee, (wish they would make Banquet fees a seperate fee, if the shooter wants to attend). MT

Marshal Troop, I am with you on a lot of your thoughts. We travel to have fun and be recognized. I used to care about going to a 'SASS Santioned Match', but no more. It is all abut the fun. Many of the matches I go to have total time vs. Rank Points and they recognize all classes, plus 'Outlaw' and other fun stuff. Starting 2013, SASS is charging $5 per shooter entry for 'sanctioning' of that match. This is going to put even a higher crimp in SASS 'sanctioned' matches. Really........ we can all have fun with a cowboy shooting match on our own when it gets too expensive to support a national organization. REALLY...... are we going to win points, $$, a Cadillac?? No. We are going to have FUN! And most of us in our local 'markets'! I have a batch of fun shooting with my 30+ friends every weekend in S. Florida, and the older I get, the less important it is to TRAVEL all over to compete! So be it....... :)

Reconize all catagories, no matter if there is only one shooter.

Only give 1st(Gold), 2nd (Silver), 3rd (Bronze) place awards in each catagory. A token award at best. Ribbons would be fine for top three places also.

Skip Top Gun, Top Cowboy, Top Cowgirl, Top Whatever and so forth awards. OK, give a ribbon if you must.

I come to shoot and as of now, would be competing against Buckaroos class to Silver Seniors class and everyone in between.

Just let me shoot two handed & smokeless powder. Don't care what catagory you want to put me into.

View from my saddle.

Blastmaster

Great replys Pards, it's nice to hear how other's are feeling.

But... not one of you picked an "A,B or C". Makes a little hard to "tally" the votes. : )

I think what SASS is missing is that 5% wins 95% of the time. If you cater the organization to the 5%, you're gonna go broke pretty quick as the 95% will wonder off and do their own thing.

I know FCGF isn't a SASS Official category yet, but lets be realistic, it's got a lot more potential of becoming a category than "Cattle Baron (75+)" or "Grand Patron (80+)" When the heck are you gonna get 10 or more 80+ together for a shoot? No offense intended!

Offer the Category.

Recognize the shooter's...

... and they will come back, with friends!

It's "Build it, and they will come", Not "Offer it, then take it back because it's slow at first..."

Again, just my $.02...

Sorry, not A, not B, not C.

The British Open Golf Tournament recognizes the winner with his name engraved on the Claret Jug.

Establish a permanent trophy for each category and engrave each year's winner's name on it. Give each of the top 5 or 10 winners in each category a framed photo the group surrounding the winner who is holding his category's trophy. Put each category's winning group photo in the Chronicle.

Worldwide recognition for not much money. A photo that each person who places high in a category can take home and pass down to his kids.

How hard is it??

Using cost of trophies as an excuse not to recognize each category is simply disgusting.

Don't feel like the lone wolf. Back when I first got involved, I loved shooting my cap 'n ball revolvers in the Black Powder category. I like shooting two-handed. And cap 'n ball revolvers have a very well documented failing that cartridge guns don't have. Yet, if I wanted to compete with my 1851s, I had to shoot in and against Frontier Cartridge competitors. Cowboy Shooting lost some of it's sparkle and shine in that transistion.

When Frontiersman made it's entrance, only ½ the magic came back. But, I also recognize that one person, swimming against the tide, has little hope of anything except being tired at the end of the day. Each of us has to make a decision on HOW we're going to enjoy this experience we call life. We can rail, flail, or swim against the tide, and end up tired, frustrated and ultimately, disappointed and bitter. Or we can find what is at the essence of what we do that really makes us happy and immerse ourselves in the joy of doing what we love!

So... sometimes I shoot my 1851s duelist style, some days I shoot them in Frontier Cartridge. and others in Gunfighter! Sometimes, just for a change of pace (or when the range owner sez "no black powder"), I shoot my SAAs with that heathen propellant!

You can complain... but... mostly the only thing that happens is you get labeled a "complainer." Been there, done that, I advise against it!

Great replys Pards, it's nice to hear how other's are feeling.

But... not one of you picked an "A,B or C". Makes a little hard to "tally" the votes. : )

I think what SASS is missing is that 5% wins 95% of the time. If you cater the organization to the 5%, you're gonna go broke pretty quick as the 95% will wonder off and do their own thing.

I know FCGF isn't a SASS Official category yet, but lets be realistic, it's got a lot more potential of becoming a category than "Cattle Baron (75+)" or "Grand Patron (80+)" When the heck are you gonna get 10 or more 80+ together for a shoot? No offense intended!

Offer the Category.

Recognize the shooter's...

... and they will come back, with friends!

It's "Build it, and they will come", Not "Offer it, then take it back because it's slow at first..."

Again, just my $.02...

I understand your frustration but don't pick on other categories, not the Cowboy way and by the way Cattle Baron has 11 already, the 80+ maybe a little tougher give it another few years and they will fill up.

KK

Until all the cosmic tumblers fall into place and your perfect catagory is offered with enough people to make it fun and interesting, shoot gunfighter class with your black powder.....and pray for a stiff breeze! Unless it is really calm all three days of shooting, you shouldn't be that far back from where you would finish with smokeless, and you have the fun of FCGF. :D

How about getting a plaque for each catagory winner. Then give the others that placed a generic EOT 2012 belt buckle. That way the buckles are not place or catagory specific and you have some felxability. The applicaitons have to be in by June 1st so you have a couple of weeks to gets to figure out how deep your going to go. It should eliminate the plaques not given away and you would probably only end up with 5 or 6 buckles left over.

How about getting a plaque for each catagory winner. Then give the others that placed a generic EOT 2012 belt buckle. That way the buckles are not place or catagory specific and you have some felxability. The applicaitons have to be in by June 1st so you have a couple of weeks to gets to figure out how deep your going to go. It should eliminate the plaques not given away and you would probably only end up with 5 or 6 buckles left over.

That's the way it is now, except the Championship buckle and maybe a statue none of which cost that much anyway!

I shot Senior Gunfighter at EOT 2008 with BP and signed up for FCGF this year. If it doesn't happen I will be disappointed but I'll just shoot BP in Senior Gunfighter. Been there. Done that. Not much chance of winning unless no one else shows but I'll still have a good time. :) My choice would be to honor any category with 5 or more but only award a first and second for those categories with less than 10.

CS

I absolutely agree!

You mean there's no Cadillac for the winner? Did I not get the memo? I've already signed up in Buckarette and got my .410 shotgun, got all the .22s, got the cutest little dress...man, who knew?

Wolf Bane

SASS13557

I don't think all the brain bleach in the world can wash that image out of my brain.

AAHAHAHAHHDSHDHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHGHGHAHAHGHAHAHAHGHAAA!!!!

Come on pards knock it off with the this class and that class. We do not shoot in classes we shoot in categories.

There should only be two categories. Men and Ladies.

Only two awards Top Overall Man.

Top Overall Lady.

Nothing for the rest of us.

And we should all be allowed to shoot gunfighter style at will, like we are allowed to do duelist style at anytime now.

Hell just stay in your category . Don't forget you can buy the same buckle they give away to the champions. All you have to do is show them the score sheet that you finished first in your category and put it on your visa.. That's cheaper than practicing anyway.

Practicing for a major match, thousands!

Buying a championship buckle on your visa, PRICLESS!

A or B. Either one. Flip a coin.

Me??? I would shot FCD and shoot it DD style.

But if you REALLY want to shoot GFer. You only have one choice here.

Sign up GFer and go ahead and shoot the smokey stuff and don't worry about where you place.

Those top ten buckles anit worth much anyway.

But I know some that could shoot BP in GFer and still make top 10.

CS

I fully ageee.

CB

Once there are Qualifiers to make it to the World Championships, then yes, all categories...until then...nope.

Tell ya what, get a list of folks shooting Gunfighter using BP and then y'all can see how ya placed overall. Then, with the results, go to one of them fancy buckle makers and buy a fancy buckle for about $125.

There ya go!

Cheers!!

:FlagAm:

Once there are Qualifiers to make it to the World Championships, then yes, all categories...until then...nope.

Tell ya what, get a list of folks shooting Gunfighter using BP and then y'all can see how ya placed overall. Then, with the results, go to one of them fancy buckle makers and buy a fancy buckle for about $125.

There ya go!

Cheers!!

:FlagAm:

That's a better buckle than the one you will win anyway. :o

But I agree with the rest of what you said.

I know some people that signed up as Duelist at EOT couple of years ago. Shot it Outlaw style.

They just did there own scores and winner.

Until all the cosmic tumblers fall into place and your perfect catagory is offered with enough people to make it fun and interesting, shoot gunfighter class with your black powder.....and pray for a stiff breeze! Unless it is really calm all three days of shooting, you shouldn't be that far back from where you would finish with smokeless, and you have the fun of FCGF. :D

+1

Buckles for all categories, Buckles will state world champion of whatever category out of X amount of shooters and also have your overall finish. Betcha X category with 1 shooter who places at the bottom of the overall wont want that buckle unless he needs it for his belt to hold up his pants.

Buckles for all categories, Buckles will state world champion of whatever category out of X amount of shooters and also have your overall finish. Betcha X category with 1 shooter who places at the bottom of the overall wont want that buckle unless he needs it for his belt to hold up his pants.

You're way off target. I see it at state and regional matches all the time. People jumping catigories so they are guarenteed a plaque. So I know they'd do it for a buckle and or one of those little wire trophies they hand out.

CS

Well if you are gonna use logic, good old common sense and just what's fair then I have to agree.

Wyatt

Archived