SASS Wire Forum

Speakin' of beer....

My Maternal Grandfather drank Stag Beer out of St. Louis (Bellevue, Illinois) . Ole St. Louie made some good beer and some not so good beer. I cut my teeth on Falstaff. At one time, both were owned by Griesedieck Brothers Beer

Badger, we might have been neighbors! :lol:

On a side note, my great-grandfather was the VP of the Benoist Aircraft Co. of St. Louis. He learned to fly from the Wright Bros. and came up a with publicity stunt to fly a case of Griesedieck (Falstaff) beer to New Orleans.

Rhinegold - "My beer is Rhinegold the dry beer." Schultz and Dooley mug characters. B I think Bad beer but fun ads. And I think Ballantine Ale was made out of pinecones. :lol:

You must have lived in or near NYC. I drank that stuff when I lived there.

Then there was Piels and Schaffer ("when you're having more than one"). Dreadful stuff.

The first couple years of college it was Pabst. Then I went cheap to Fox Deluxe. $3.99 a case in returnable bottles. It was so bad but it was cheap. I remember Carling's Black Lable, Heilman's Special Export, Schmidt, Buckhorn, Red White and Blue, and Point which now is supposed to be some pretty good stuff. What was the green clover on the can beer?

There are only two major beer makers in the US anymore. Anheiser Busch and SAB. Many of the beers we think of anymore, Pabst, Old Style, Old Milwaukee, etc, etc, are brewed by SAB other than the craft beers. Even Sam Adams is brewed by SAB. There isn't any money in facilities and equipment so everyone contracts with SAB to make it because they have the capacity. AB won't do contract manufacturing.

I like the German purity laws. It makes for a better beer. Can't stomach rice beer.

Coors regional sales. Yep, I remember after moving from Lubbock, TX to Mississippi you couldn't buy Coors there. Sooooooooooo, my gas was pretty much paid for hauling Coors back to MS. Did you know you a 69 Camaro will hold two adults, a five year old, all the clothes and 10+ cases of Colorady Coolaid in cans :)

Coors used to restrict distribution because of temperature control considerations.

...this was the basis for the movie, "Smokey and the Bandit."

Well, one of the bases... :ph34r:

Coors regional sales. Yep, I remember after moving from Lubbock, TX to Mississippi you couldn't buy Coors there. Sooooooooooo, my gas was pretty much paid for hauling Coors back to MS. Did you know you a 69 Camaro will hold two adults, a five year old, all the clothes and 10+ cases of Colorady Coolaid in cans :)

The reason Coors beer was regional was because it was Homogenized, like MILK and shipped Cold. If left out to get warm it would go bad. Back in the late 70's-early 80's my wife worked at K-Mart and they would get shipments of Coors on Pallets. they would put it out in the middle of an Isle and it would all be gone in less than an hour. Look at Coors trucks, they are refrigerated. Just sayin'

Jake

I remember Black Label, they used to sponsor the Indians games. Carling also had an ale called Red Cap. The tribe was also sponsored later by Duquesne(SP?), pronounced Du-Kane, referred to as Duke. :blush:

Genny usually gives me a bad case of the back-door trots :rolleyes::wacko:<_<:blush:

Wasn't much of a beer drinker till my Uncle sent me to Germany.

Wow! a whole 'nother ball game.:wub:

Then when I got back to the States I became not much of a beer drinker again. :lol:

I love beer but haven't had a good one since 1966 when I left Germany. Bamberger Hofbrau would deliver a case of 1/2 liter bottles every Friday to my apartment door and pick up the empties.

Lovely stuff. Better than the "big" boys.

A local restaurant had a wheat beer that looked like soapy water but tasted so good.

A little restaurant in Oberammergau that served a "dunkle" beer. Double dark. When the bubbles broke they left a ring on the glass.

Don't mind me. I'm going to go whimper over my younger days.

Oh, my. Street corner vendors selling bratwurst and brochen.

Schnitzels, mit case.

Saurbraten.

I used to drink a LOT of beer, in college there was a Pabst distributor in town, we used get a 6 pack for 99 cents, now it's cool again. For cheap beer growing up in high school

Blatz--you had to chew it as you drank it

Buckhorn, 4 bucks a case, brewed through the horse

Rhinelander--4 bucks a case

Weidemans --Pure swill, under 4 bucks a case

Drewry's $1.99 for 12

If ya had a few extra pennies

Stroh's Case of half quart returnables 6 bucks

Hamms's you gotta love the commercials

Schmidt--used to get it WI, a case would have 24 different cans featuring outdoors, i..e fishin, hunting, etc.

I mostly drink Guinness if I'm drinking beer, I'm usually into red wine or good whiskey now

The only beer I have ever poured out. Nasty!

I love beer but haven't had a good one since 1966 when I left Germany. Bamberger Hofbrau would deliver a case of 1/2 liter bottles every Friday to my apartment door and pick up the empties.

Lovely stuff. Better than the "big" boys.

A local restaurant had a wheat beer that looked like soapy water but tasted so good.

A little restaurant in Oberammergau that served a "dunkle" beer. Double dark. When the bubbles broke they left a ring on the glass.

Don't mind me. I'm going to go whimper over my younger days.

Oh, my. Street corner vendors selling bratwurst and brochen.

Schnitzels, mit case.

Saurbraten.

I was a "few" :P years behind you, but I have similar memories.

But if'n ya haven't looked in the larger liquor stores lately (I go to Spec's locally here in SE TX), many of those great beers are avaiable here now. I have a lot of favorites, but Franzikaner Hefe-Weizen (looks like soapy water...) is readily available (as are several other wheat beers), dunkles, double bock's, etc. They are pricey (a couple of bucks/.5 liter bottle), but when you're drinkin' for taste vs. drinking for volume, it's not all that bad. I usually go drop $25 at Spec's and that'll last me a month....sometimes two.....but I do have a "good" beer in the fridge when I have the hankerin'. ;)

Chick

I was a "few" :P years behind you, but I have similar memories.

But if'n ya haven't looked in the larger liquor stores lately (I go to Spec's locally here in SE TX), many of those great beers are avaiable here now. I have a lot of favorites, but Franzikaner Hefe-Weizen (looks like soapy water...) is readily available (as are several other wheat beers), dunkles, double bock's, etc. They are pricey (a couple of bucks/.5 liter bottle), but when you're drinkin' for taste vs. drinking for volume, it's not all that bad. I usually go drop $25 at Spec's and that'll last me a month....sometimes two.....but I do have a "good" beer in the fridge when I have the hankerin'. ;)

Chick

Franziskaner Dunkel is my favorite all time beer.

Bet not many of you have tried Choc Beer either. Some like it I guess but it ranks down there with Jax far as I'm concerned. Has a neat history though Choc beer

I worked at a Drug store in High School, was fortunate to have access to a number of fine products...

Red, White, and Blue... the cheap version of Pabst

Buckhorn..... cheap, but nasty

Blatz....eww

Mickey's Wide Mouth... a fine malt liquor that would make you chuck your toenails out.

Old Milwaukee and its evil twin, Old Milwaukee Light.....

We did have Strohs, brewed in Detroit that was pretty good stuff... just too expensive to buy often.

Jeez how did I forget Molson?

And yet none of the current generation even mentioned the great testosterone enhancer!!!!!!

KEYSTONE! Gotta be the stupidest and most annoying beer commercial of all time. Ranks right there with Enzyte. Where the heck is Spanish Bit Bobb anyway?????

Jeez how did I forget Molson?

And yet none of the current generation even mentioned the great testosterone enhancer!!!!!!

KEYSTONE! Gotta be the stupidest and most annoying beer commercial of all time. Ranks right there with Enzyte. Where the heck is Spanish Bit Bobb anyway?????

:lol::lol::lol:^_^

'Round these parts the boys just refer to it as "'Stones..."

"Gonna mosey on down to the market for some cold Stones.." (not to be confused with the Cold Stone ice cream shops!)

Comments about Olympia Beer have me reminiscing about cheap beverages enjoyed in my younger days. Beers that are no longer. :(

Anyone remember Lucky Lager - with the puzzles in the cap? If you drank enough to not be able to solve the puzzles you'd had too much. And that was REALLY hard to do, the stuff was so light! ^_^"It's Lucky When You live in the West!"

College age - spent many an enjoyable evening "helping" in the hospitality room at the Burgermeister brewery in San Francisco. "Burgie Man" was such a dweeb! :lol: The brewery was just down the road from Hamms... "Roll out the Burgie...!"

Oh, Hamms! And the bear... Every kid loved the commercials! When the SF Hamms brewery closed, the vats were converted into rock recording studios. :huh:"From the Land of Sky Blue Waters..."

Hardpan My Grandpa use to buy lucky logger so he could drink beer all day and not get drunk, he use to live on Bethal Island and there was a store there that sold lucky logger for 99 cents a case

Heidelburg, brewed in Tacoma; they were bought by Carling, but continued production, along with Black Label and Red Cap Ale.

Rainier, and their budget brand, Rhinelander. It was 4 bucks for a case of quarts. Brew 66 was their keg-only brand; had this at my first kegger.

Hardpan My Grandpa use to buy lucky logger so he could drink beer all day and not get drunk, he use to live on Bethal Island and there was a store there that sold lucky logger for 99 cents a case

Eggzackley, Shoer~!! :lol::lol::lol:

Archived