SASS Wire Forum

Speakin' of beer....

Comments about Olympia Beer have me reminiscing about cheap beverages enjoyed in my younger days. Beers that are no longer. :(

Anyone remember Lucky Lager - with the puzzles in the cap? If you drank enough to not be able to solve the puzzles you'd had too much. And that was REALLY hard to do, the stuff was so light! ^_^"It's Lucky When You live in the West!"

College age - spent many an enjoyable evening "helping" in the hospitality room at the Burgermeister brewery in San Francisco. "Burgie Man" was such a dweeb! :lol: The brewery was just down the road from Hamms... "Roll out the Burgie...!"

Oh, Hamms! And the bear... Every kid loved the commercials! When the SF Hamms brewery closed, the vats were converted into rock recording studios. :huh:"From the Land of Sky Blue Waters..."

Hamm's was established in 1865 when Theodore Hamm, a German immigrant, inherited the Excelsior Brewery from his friend and business associate, A. F. Keller. Keller had constructed his brewery over artesian wells in a section of the Phalen Creek valley in St. Paul, Minnesota known as Swede Hollow. Hamm hired Christopher Figg to be his masterbrewer, and by the 1880s the Theo. Hamm Brewing Company was reckoned the second largest in Minnesota.

His son, William, and grandson, William Jr. inherited the operation in 1903. During Prohibition, the company survived by producing soft drinks and other food products, enabling it to expand rapidly through acquisitions after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933. In 1968 the company was acquired by Heublein, which sold it to Olympia Brewing Company. Pabst then purchased Olympia along with Hamm's in 1983. Miller Brewing acquired the brand in 1999. Miller was later purchased by South African Breweries and the name changed to SABMiller. Subsequently, SABMiller formed a joint venture combining their US and Puerto Rican assets with those of MolsonCoors to form MillerCoors, the current owner and brewer of the Hamm's Brand.[1] MillerCoors now produces three Hamm's Beers, Premium, Golden Draft, and Special Light.[2]

The Hamm's brewery in San Francisco opened in 1954 at 1550 Bryant Street and closed in 1972. Its 20-by-80 foot sign, with a 3-dimensional 13-foot beer chalice on top, appeared in the first Dirty Harry film and was a local landmark.[3] In the early 1980s, the beer vats were rented out to punk rock bands, and it was a used as music studios until the building was renovated in the mid 1980s and converted into offices and showroom space.[4][3]

Just a For what it's worth kinds thing!

Ned

(who's had more than a few Hamm's in his past!)

There used to be a small chain of discount groceries in Florida called Pic N' Save. The PNC in Gainesville, FL (home of the University of Florida) had a loss leader sale one weekend in 1975 of Old Milwaukee by the case. The beer was in deposit bottles, and once you paid the deposit, the beer was dirt cheap. Now, college students being the beer experts they are (just ask them, they'll tell you) would turn their collective noses up at "Old Millwater." But it's funny how economics wins out over status symbols. That sale was so successful, it was continued for three years!

Old Milwaukee, yuck

Growing up here in Colorado, Coors was commonplace and generally not your first choice. I was amazed a few years ago when relatives from out of state wanted to take several cases home with them.

Ballantine Ale!

Wasn't much of a beer drinker till my Uncle sent me to Germany.

Wow! a whole 'nother ball game.:wub:

Then when I got back to the States I became not much of a beer drinker again. :lol:

There used to be a small chain of discount groceries in Florida called Pic N' Save. The PNC in Gainesville, FL (home of the University of Florida) had a loss leader sale one weekend in 1975 of Old Milwaukee by the case. The beer was in deposit bottles, and once you paid the deposit, the beer was dirt cheap. Now, college students being the beer experts they are (just ask them, they'll tell you) would turn their collective noses up at "Old Millwater." But it's funny how economics wins out over status symbols. That sale was so successful, it was continued for three years!

Old Mo....had plenty of that while fishing in the marsh.

How about Jax beer? Brewed in New Orleans...or should I say "mixed" in New Orleans. It a little known fact that the recipe for Jax is 4 parts mule pee and 1 part New Orleans City Water :)

Anybody remember Goetz beer. That is all my dad drank and he drank a lot of it. The cans were real good for target shooting as the logo was an "O" with the letter e in the middle it made a dandy bulls eye. Don't know who made it but they should have got rich from my dad's purchases.

Marlin(Who wonders who made Goetz beer)Buckhorn

I used to drink a LOT of beer, in college there was a Pabst distributor in town, we used get a 6 pack for 99 cents, now it's cool again. For cheap beer growing up in high school

Blatz--you had to chew it as you drank it

Buckhorn, 4 bucks a case, brewed through the horse

Rhinelander--4 bucks a case

Weidemans --Pure swill, under 4 bucks a case

Drewry's $1.99 for 12

If ya had a few extra pennies

Stroh's Case of half quart returnables 6 bucks

Hamms's you gotta love the commercials

Schmidt--used to get it WI, a case would have 24 different cans featuring outdoors, i..e fishin, hunting, etc.

I mostly drink Guinness if I'm drinking beer, I'm usually into red wine or good whiskey now

Any one have any experience with Robin Hood Ale? 16 oz. bottles, had to be bought by the case. My first wife's Uncle drank that, about a case or more a week.

Another I remember that didn't last long was Fife and Drum.

today, I'm a Leinenkugel's guy now, at least when I drink a beer :blush:

My Maternal Grandfather drank Stag Beer out of St. Louis (Bellevue, Illinois) . Ole St. Louie made some good beer and some not so good beer. I cut my teeth on Falstaff. At one time, both were owned by Griesedieck Brothers Beer

Bulldog, Colt 45, and Schlitz malt liquor!

Dixie beer hasn't been mentioned but it ranked right down there with Jax and Falstaff.

Hey...Dixie is still being brewed. Now if you want to go low you've got to include Pearl.

funny all the x military people around here no one but me remember the hawaii beer. the brewery was in pearl city.does any one remember the name of that stuff

Primo...? :huh:

How bout Walters beer, made in Pueblo, Colo...

Bless your heart, I was born and raised in Pueblo, Colorado! I was raised in a family of teetotalers. I thought lightning from on high would knock me off my bar stool after I turned 18 and my buddy took me out for my first beer, a Walter's.

The lightning missed.

For a brief time I dated the daughter of the Walter's plant manager. Their family had a keg permanently installed in their recreation room. If I hadn't had to move away to college...

Arkansas River water never tasted better!! :lol:

Brew 102.

Since they used real Los Angeles river water, the 102 refers to the fever that some overindulgers got after a binge.

Truly awful stuff. One sip, and I didn't touch beer for 10 years.

There's a big conference of beer producers. At the end of the day, the presidents of all beer companies decide to have a drink in a bar.

The president of 'Budweiser' orders a Bud, the president of 'Miller' orders a Miller Lite, Adolph Coors orders a Coors, and the list goes on. Then the waitress asks Arthur Guinness what he wants to drink, and much to everybody's amazement, Mr. Guinness orders a Coke!

"Why don't you order a Guinness?" his colleagues ask.

"Naah. If you guys won't drink beer, then neither will I."

GG

after a fifth of Jack black , who cared ?

Seen lots of them white cans at Ft Riley Ks :blink:

That was long ago , in a far away land :lol:

CB

Sounds like you got the good stuff :D

GG

Don't forget Goebbels, or Genesee.

They still make Genesee, now in the original white can with red logo, and the short 'stubby' bottles as well. They've also brought back 12 Horse Ale. Can't drink anything Genesee - it makes my brain,(or what's left of it) slosh around inside my head and gives me the worst cottonmouth. Besides - I figure there's a reason they call it '12-Horse Ale'.... :o

Old Milwaukee, yuck

Growing up here in Colorado, Coors was commonplace and generally not your first choice. I was amazed a few years ago when relatives from out of state wanted to take several cases home with them.

When I went to college in St Louis in 71-74 we made regular runs to Colorado to stock up on Coors, for some reason it wasn't available in Missouri. Was introduced to Dixie then too.

When I went to college in St Louis in 71-74 we made regular runs to Colorado to stock up on Coors, for some reason it wasn't available in Missouri. Was introduced to Dixie then too.

Coors used to restrict distribution because of temperature control considerations.

...this was the basis for the movie, "Smokey and the Bandit."

Well, one of the bases... :ph34r:

Archived