SASS Wire Forum

HAT RESTORATION IN THE SACRAMENTO AREA?

Hi Guys,

Anyone know of a place that refurbishes/restores hats in the greater Sacramento, CA area? I have a fine old 4x Stetson of 1950s vintage that needs a new leather sweatband. The old one is dried up hard and falling apart, with swatches missing.

Thanks for your time.

Check with Major Debacale (sp) at Golden Gate (SF and Redmond area...but close by)

curley

correction, they are in Plesant hill and Richmond.

Unfortunately, they don't do sweatbands, but thanks for the thought. Anyone else?

Sarge,

Thanks for starting this thread. My wife has a number of hats that she had aquired over the years that just don't fit quite right. For some hats, the band is too tight others it's too stiff, etc. In the past, I have taken these to various major shoots (including the SASS Las Vegas convention) where there are lots of "hat makers".

Interesting enough I have not found ONE that is interested in replacing a sweat band for me.

So here is what I've decided to do. You can buy sweat bands from "hat parts suppliers" on line". I am going to purchase a couple of quality sweat bands on line in my wife's size (size 7). Then I am going to have a local tailor stich the sweat band on. I have discovered that all the quality hats have the sweat band stiched and NOT glued.

Lastly, my wife has a number of good quality hats but she has a cute hat that is wool felt (not very good quality). I love the style of that wool hat but it won't hold it's shape for long. I have used hairspray to "stiffen" the hat but was asking around from the various "hat makers" about a product that I could spray on that would stiffen the hat. Most denied that they used stiffeners. However, I finally had a couple of guys admit that they used liquid stiffener. When I ask if I could purchase a bottle of stiffener solution I was told that it was "special purchase" only OR they didn't have any extra supply. It turns out that you can purchase this stuff on line as well. I haven't purchased it yet but plan to do so in the near future. It is a hazardous material so it is a little pricy. Lastly, I have purchased a "hat steamer" and it works much better than doing the tea kettle thing over the stove.

I would really like to know how this turns out AND I would like to hear from other Cowboys/Cowgirls about their advice and adventurers in working with hats.

Conejo.

Archived