SASS Wire Forum

No Brag, Just Fact....

Yesterday was my son's graduation day from college.

Absolutely perfect day. Sunny, seabreeze from Boston Harbor, great setting in a giant amphitheater/tent on the waterfront. Decent speech from the US Ambassador to Spain.

But my mind and my heart were with one graduate. During the long lead up to the start of the ceremony, I had time to think about my son's life and growth. Somewhere along the path of his life, my prayers were heard and answered. He believes in God. Not because I hauled him to Sunday School every week, but because he gave it serious thought, said his own prayers, and found a relationship with the Almighty that I envy. He loves sports. Again, not due to any heritage from me, but from his own joy in hockey, football, swimming and golf. He loves to read. This one I will take credit for - and it was a hard fight to get him to the point where he actually loves books. He is respectful...thank you, Mom. He understands and believes in the Constitution. And he shoots.

But then I thought about all of the close calls, the things that almost went wrong, and the things that DID go wrong, I'm amazed that we made it to this day. But we did. He did. And I sat in the crowd, busting my buttons, holding his Mom's hand, and realizing that this is the culmination of 22 years of sweat and love and work and disappointment and joy, all scrambled together into one young life. And we love him dearly.

Well done, son. We are very proud.

Graduation Day:

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l386/Loophole-LaRue/Karl/?action=view&current=KAB05202012Grad001.jpg

Oh...he finished his classes early (Last January) and started right to work. He has an intriguing boss:

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l386/Loophole-LaRue/Karl/?action=view&current=KarlMitt.jpg

LL

You have good reasons to be proud, both you and Mom.

He looks like a great person to be around. You gave him some

very sharp tools to make his way in life. I love a great story and

a good ending. I suspect that this one will have a great ending.

Congratulations! ....and what a great post!

My oldest begins HS next year.....and I'm not sure I'm ready. :o So much to look forward to.....so many landmines to dodge....I look forward to standing in your shoes (hopefully) in a few years.

Chick

Well done, Dad... Congratulations to the lad and his parents.

And after seeing the pictures I'm sitting here wearing a HUGE grin!

Miss Mo - Thank you kindly, ma'am.

GG - I couldn't agree more!

BMC: I share the suspicion.

CC: You'll make it; none of us were ready, and surprises will follow; but you'll look back in a few years and feel as I did.

HC: Big grin here, too...especially when I consider the alternative if he had chosen the other Party!!!

Thanks all...and pardon my parental pride.

LL

I just love good stories with happy endings. :D

Congrats to you and Ms. Larue......and, of course, your son.

Actually, Bama, this is a wonderful beginning to a story only just unfolding.

Congrats to the graduate and to a pair of supportive and giving parents. :FlagAm:

Two thumbs up!

Archived