SASS Wire Forum

Ruger .32 mag springs

Go West

What weight hammer spring is optimum for a .32 mag single six? What about clipping a few coils as an alternative or temporary solution? Will be using Winchester primers. Thanks in advance.

Here ya go!

http://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SINGLE%20ACTION%20SERIES/cID3/mID52/dID228

I would recommend their reduced power Trigger Return spring and their 17 lb. Mainsprings, (Hammer Springs).

RBK

Hi Go!!!

It seems to me I asked you this same question a couple of years back at a match.

At that time, I was having trouble with a Single Six where the hammer was binding as it fell from full cock. Because of this binding, the gun wouldn't run with any less than the factory 17 pound spring. The problem was the clearance for the hammer in the channel created by the grip frame and the cylinder frame. Those two parts have to line up very well to allow the hammer to fall without interference from one, or both of the frame parts.

I suppose that's why some noted 'smiths start out by reducing the thickness of the hammer before proceeding with the rest of an action job.

I recently got a pair of new SASS Rugers and they turned out to be some of the best finished Vaqueros I've handled. Ruger really got the hammer channel lined up perfectly with the two frame halves. The hammers run without much interference from the frame, except for a little bit of bouncing off the side walls because of play in the hammer pin. But, that bouncing doesn't really impede their travel to the transfer bar and firing pin.

So, as you can see, the answer to your question depends on how smoothly the hammer travels from full cocked to home. I'm convinced that Ruger uses extra heavy springs so that assembly tolerances can be less precise.

On this recent pair of Rugers I was able to use a Wolff 14 pound spring and cut three coils off of it. It sets off winchester and remington primers with no problems. And, of course, Federal primers are 100% in the gun.

It takes four pounds of force to cock the hammers, and that hump when the hammer first cams over the strut is gone -- thank goodness. The trigger pulls ended up matched between the two guns with some polishing to the sears. Both guns break at a consistent 1 1/2 pounds. A tad heavy, but any lighter would invite ADs with my lack of dexterity.

So, in summary, if the hammer runs clean in the frame(s), you can probably go down to a twelve pound spring and set off all available primers. (naturally, Wolff doesn't make Ruger mainsprings that light, so you'll have to get the lightest available and either sand them down, or shorten them) If the hammer doesn't run smoothly in the channel, best send the gun back to Ruger before investing in smoothing up the action and lightening the springs.

Hope this helps. Hope to see you soon. Hi to Aimee.

Archived