SASS Wire Forum

Whats the Call?

As they should!!! Answering you® phone on the firing line while you're shooting is downright STUPID!

Rye

Read the OP again. He didn't answer a call... just read a "text". Maybe someone was just making sure he had the correct target order? :ph34r:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rye, Rye lighten up man. The boy was perfectly safe. Whatchoo tawkin' 'bout unsafe, huh? The Judge hisownself has been known to stop and light his cigar during a stage, back when he was still allowed to light 'em.

I myself have been known to stop and serenade the posse or spin a yarn. Everyone doesn't have to abide by the "what are you doin? you're on the clock!!!" mantra.

My intial reaction on reading the first post was “Stage DQ.” And I think you could even articulate a Match DQ. The firing line is a place to shoot, and shooting is mighty serious business. Even loaded down to ‘gamer’ velocities, firearms are by thier very nature (and original intent) inherently dangerous. A shooter’s focus on the line should be the task at hand, period. Distractions can and regularly do kill on a daily basis, and to opine that the matter was a text not a call, or that the weapons were holstered in between is to miss the point behind a smokescreen of word games. That shooter was distracted, i.e. his prime focus and mindset was not on the firearms but on the electronic device. If it were not so, the phone would not have taken precedence over shooting the stage.

Rye, I wholeheartedly agree with you, this is neither funny nor cute and sends the wrong message that this is appropriate and acceptable range behavior, but we are deep in the minority on this one.

Life is what happens when you're busy trying to survive. Don't get yer drawers all in a wad trying to control every little aspect of Life. You're still going to die, but maybe, just maybe it won't be from the Stress!

24 shot stage........

Timer starts, Shooter engages & hits 10 pistol targets, phone in his right hip pocket rings,

Shooter safely holsters pistols, digs phone out of his pocket and reads text message,

puts phone back into pocket, picks up rifle engages & hits 10 rifle targets,

then picks up shotgun and knocks down all 4 shotgun Targets.... Clean

Timer shows 24 shots in 27.80 seconds... We checked to make sure the Shooter read the message, He Did!

Whats Your Call?????

Our call was.... Holy C#@&, How did He Do That???? ...... It was Rattlesnake Wrangler!

Hello,

I can't believe what I am reading. When I read Rye's post yesterday, I thought he just forgot the ;) . Then I read OD's post. Did you two miss the part I emphasized in the OP?

Regards,

Allie Mo

My intial reaction on reading the first post was “Stage DQ.” And I think you could even articulate a Match DQ. The firing line is a place to shoot, and shooting is mighty serious business. Even loaded down to ‘gamer’ velocities, firearms are by thier very nature (and original intent) inherently dangerous. A shooter’s focus on the line should be the task at hand, period. Distractions can and regularly do kill on a daily basis, and to opine that the matter was a text not a call, or that the weapons were holstered in between is to miss the point behind a smokescreen of word games. That shooter was distracted, i.e. his prime focus and mindset was not on the firearms but on the electronic device. If it were not so, the phone would not have taken precedence over shooting the stage.

Rye, I wholeheartedly agree with you, this is neither funny nor cute and sends the wrong message that this is appropriate and acceptable range behavior, but we are deep in the minority on this one.

Oh please! That phrase just took a big hit to the credibility of your position.

As they should!!! Answering you're phone on the firing line while you're shooting is downright STUPID!

Rye

Plese tell me what was STUPID.

Both pistols were holsterd (after firing) rifle and shotgun were still safely staged. Shooter did not have a firearm in hand and did not leave the stage. What is the difference between that, and a shooter who goes to the line, two LOADED pistols in holsters and then reaches in his back pocket for a rag and wipes the sweat from his face, etc before firing.

Is it safe to have a rifle in ONE hand while fumbling on your belt for a reload? Is it safe to have a shotgun in ONE hand while reachin on your belt for two more rounds to reload?

This young man had NO firearms IN HAND!

It may not have been the correct time for a text message, BUT, it was his stage to shoot.

I have stopped between firearms and taken a drink of water. Guess that is STUPID too.

You shoot your game, let him (or others) shoot thiers. As long as we are not UNSAFE, have fun.

Flame away.

My intial reaction on reading the first post was “Stage DQ.” And I think you could even articulate a Match DQ.

Okay, I'll bite, what rule are you citing for making either one of those calls? Please state which handbook along with page and paragraph. Thanks. I come on the wire to learn new things so I appreciate your help. ;)

Wow I'm really amazed here. If he shoots too fast he gets burned. If he safely has fun on a stage he is burned. Are you really that miserable in your own life to the point that it brings you to this level. If you didn't notice Sam was trying to show people in this post that it's not all about speed for him. He likes to have fun too. Bottom line is he did NOTHING unsafe and still took less than the average time to shoot the stage. I will pray for the haters that the blackness in their hearts leave them.

Wow I'm really amazed here. If he shoots too fast he gets burned. If he safely has fun on a stage he is burned. Are you really that miserable in your own life to the point that it brings you to this level. If you didn't notice Sam was trying to show people in this post that it's not all about speed for him. He likes to have fun too. Bottom line is he did NOTHING unsafe and still took less than the average time to shoot the stage. I will pray for the haters that the blackness in their hearts leave them.

amen

Double amen....go away blackness

Quite frankly I am amazed that cell phone useage while on the firing line is even a debatable issue.

Somehow it seems to me that cell phone usage beginning at the loading table until you have shot the stage and gone completely through the unload table and safely placed your weapons back on the cart is a both safety issue and as far from what Cowboy Action shooting is all about as you can get.

Quite frankly I am amazed that cell phone useage while on the firing line is even a debatable issue.

Somehow it seems to me that cell phone usage beginning at the loading table until you have shot the stage and gone completely through the unload table and safely placed your weapons back on the cart is a both safety issue and as far from what Cowboy Action shooting is all about as you can get.

Still waiting on the rule(s) citation for SDQ and/or MDQ. ;)

And while I'm at it, what exactly are you claiming is unsafe about what our young serpent did while totally unarmed?

You may not like what he did because "it ain't cowboy", and that's perfectly within your rights but, to claim he did anything usafe must be addressed. Again, please let us know what he did that was unsafe.

It ain't debatable. No debate. Not unsafe.

SO!!! Don't take YOUR cell phone on the firing line...we just ended the only line of debate YOU have.

As far as 'cowboy" goes. This ain't NCOWS. I mean, how cowboy is a gun cart anyway. Do you ride a horse of drive a car/truck to the shoot.

Geez,,,,,,

Can't some of you let a kid be a kid as long as he doesn't hurt himself or anyone else??? His dad was there, the RO was there, the whole dang posse was there and no one saw anything UNSAFE.....

Plese tell me, since you were not there (I was by the way) WHAT UNSAFE ACT DID HE COMMIT???????

Couldn't have said it any better Miss Hope. I can't believe we're the only ones who think this whole topic is ridiculous to even be talking about. Maybe we already have a rule against this kind of thing, it's called "SPIRIT OF THE GAME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RYE

[/quote

:angry: GET A LIFE!!!

What about all the times we have had to do something like move the bag of gold between guns. When I stop having fun shooting I'll stop shooting!

+1

B)

What about all the times we have had to do something like move the bag of gold between guns. When I stop having fun shooting I'll stop shooting!

What the heck is that have to do with a cell phone??? C'mon are you guys living in an alternate universe or sum thin???? Geez Loueeze, some of you are TG''s and you're condoning this kind of behavior?????Unbelievable!

Couldn't have said it any better Miss Hope. I can't believe we're the only ones who think this whole topic is ridiculous to even be talking about. Maybe we already have a rule against this kind of thing, it's called "SPIRIT OF THE GAME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RYE

OD Cleaver/Miss Hope/Rye Miles----ya'll need to get together and start your own "club" or organization!! This "is" a game, meant for competitive "GOOD TIMES" by all. While i may not like cell phones on the line---the point was he was "having a good time"---and still was fast. Had i been there i would have been ROTFLMFAO !! So, just back off, have a good time, "SLOW DOWN--YOU'LL HAVE A MORE HARMONIOUS OUTCOME", enjoy life--it's too short!

Cool Down Mode now in Effect! :FlagAm:

RYE

It's just another way of "grandstanding" the shooter.

I've got friends shooting EOT, and I wish them nothing but good luck at the match.

But....I sure would like to see a certain diminutive reptile do well, real well! :ph34r:

Maybe we already have a rule against this kind of thing, it's called "SPIRIT OF THE GAME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RYE

Me thinks maybe you need to go back and take the RO I and II courses again. Just a sugestion. ;)

Geez Loueeze, some of you are TG''s and you're condoning this kind of behavior?????Unbelievable!

Which should clue you in that YOU are the one out of tune, not the rest of the band.

And by the way, between our two naysayers, not one single explanation of how WR was unsafe. And also not a peep on what rule would have warranted a SDQ or MDQ. You're making the accusations, back them up.

While I might leave my cell phone in my p/u while I shoot (useless contraption out on our range) ... a careful examination of all three rule-books has revealed nothing that would provide grounds for a P, MSV, SDQ, let alone a MDQ. However, we've had a doctor or on call type person shoot with us a time a two, (I'm sure other clubs have also), and when duty calls, duty calls. If an exception to some perceived rule is made, that exception applies in quite a number of instances. You just might find an uphill pull to try to get even a local rule on such a device passed.

If you're convinced of the "right" of your position, review this definition of prejudice:

2 a (1) : preconceived judgment or opinion (2) : an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge b : an instance of such judgment or opinion c : an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics

I'll freely admit, I wasn't there (dad-gummit), however, I've watched this youth shoot, handle his guns, and exhibit a VERY SPORTSMANLIKE attitude. He would be one of LAST folks I'd think of when considering a penalty involving the "Spirit of the Game".

No more electronic devices on the cowboy range PERIOD! Because they ain't period. Hmmmm let me see what should I shoot at here first?? Oh I know... How about no more of those things that the TO holds in his hand that makes that buzzer sound when you're supposed to start shooting. Maybe exchange that for an hour glass or sundial. Yeah that works for me. Let's do that!!! Lmao. This is too funny. Thanks for the entertainment guys!

Oh and someone please tell TBone Dooley that the scoring system that works with the iPhone will no longer be needed.

The last thing I will say is this was also an informal monthly (practice) match for us.

Well the hour glass might work for some of us or at least a three-minute egg timer... Rattlesnake Wrangler "not so much." ;)

I still cannot believe what I'm reading here. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: Heck, the 3-minute egg time won't even work for ME! Well... on most stages!

I looked up Spirit of the Game in the handbook, and this doesn't seem to have anything to do with the definition. The only competitive advantage I see here is that RW practices his rattles off to be good. I don't think hard work has ever been considered unfair. May be another rule I don't know of, but so far no one has come up with it.

I'm sure glad that little oblivious trouble maker young Rattlesnake Wrangler doesn't read the wire much. He's too busy dry firing, thinking of new ways of doing things and helping other shooters to spend much time reading the nonsense on here.

Guest Winchester Jack, SASS #70195

I'm sure glad that little oblivious trouble maker young Rattlesnake Wrangler doesn't read the wire much. He's too busy dry firing, thinking of new ways of doing things and helping other shooters to spend much time reading the nonsense on here.

That was my thought as I read some of the more outlandish negative comments. Here we are trying to get the younger folks in and a bunch of ADULTS start trashing a young man who is dedicated to this game and makes more than a few adults look pretty sad. I havent met this fast gun, perhaps he and his dad can come out to the Chorro Valley Shootout in August and compete with us. Anyway, I wish this youngun all the best in his endeavours.

I havent met this fast gun, perhaps he and his dad can come out to the Chorro Valley Shootout in August and compete with us. Anyway, I wish this youngun all the best in his endeavours.

Ditto and yes! That would be an excellent idea. Especially since I get to go to that match.

Colt, it is a beautiful place very near the Pacific Ocean (10 minutes maybe)! It would make a lovely place to have a "cowboy road trip." Someday, I hope to go a little north of there to see Hearst Castle, which is less than an hour from the range.

Please consider it. It is so nice by the coast during the summer.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I have recently discovered that Cowboy Action Shooting exists and was very interested in learning more about the sport and hoping to go out and meet some nice down-to-earth people since I enjoy shooting. Unfortunately, after cruising some of the postings lately, there seems to be huge controversies over the exceptional abilities of a child?? What in the world?? Maybe this isn't the sport for me after all. I was hoping to find a sport that encourages our youngsters and can be family oriented. Or maybe, if I join, I won't be trashed too much since I'm not that fast? However, if I get fast... is it common to get the crap beat out of you on the forums? Is this practice also common in the mounted shooting sport?? Let me know so I understand the rules before I get involved.

Archived