SASS Wire Forum

DAMMMMMIIIIIIIIT

As a kid I watched a movie, Gumball Rally. In it was a beautiful dark blue convertible car, it sounded great, had big white stripes from the front to the back. I fell in love with that car instantly. It took me a few years to discover what it was and who built it.

Turned out to be a Shelby Cobra. A 427 Shelby Cobra. A 427 FORD in a Shelby Cobra.

In 1984 I went to Laguna Seca raceway. The were having a vintage car race, the manufacturer that was being celebrated that year was Ford/Shelby. Just about every Shelby Cobra, Mustang, Daytona Coupe, GT 40, and some experimental cars were there, along with all the other really cool old race cars. I bought a poster that had a picture of every Shelby Mustang on it. While walking around in the pits who did I bump into? Mr. Shelby himself. I got to shake his hand, he asked me how I was enjoying the event and I told him it was almost a dream come true. The only thing that would be better was if I got a ride in a Cobra. He told me he didn't have his at the track or he would have given me a ride. I then asked him to sign my poster, he said, " I have to make a very important phone call, but if wait over there next to my RV, when I'm done I will sign it for you".

About 10 mins later, he came out of his RV, signed my poster, shook my hand and told me the next time I see him at a track to make sure he gives me a ride in his Cobra.

On the way back into town, to catch the bus home, I hitched a ride with some guys from Texas. I threw my stuff in the trunk, when I got out at the bus station, I forgot to get the poster. Some lucky person got an autographed Shelby poster for free.

I've been working for Ford for the last 10 years, something I never dreamed of. I was very excited when I got this job, mainly because of the strong history of Shelby and Ford. I dreamed of one day buying a Shelby Mustang (New) and driving up to Vegas to Shelby American, and haveing him sign the car. I just lost any hopes of ever doing that.

Rest in peace Mr. Shelby

There aren't enough superlattives to describe Shelby's contribution to performance cars. Back in the day I had an AC Ace Bristol. Wherever I went with it people asked if it was a Cobra. Even those who had no interest in cars other than as a means of transportation were intrigued by the Cobra. Others before him had stuffed big engines in small cars (think Studillac) but Shelby made it an art form. Today's Shelby Mustangs are a continuation of a lifetime's work. He will be missed.

I have to be satisfied with building models of different Shelby's with a GT350R, Series One and a Cobra kit waiting to be built. I don't think I will ever have the opportunity to actually drive something with the name SHELBY written on it, other than my cousin's Shelby Charger years ago. A really neat car for the time. Add me to the list who considered him a hero as well. Rest in peace, Mr. Shelby.

Was always eye stopping if you ever saw or had a Shelby drive by. Machine of all machines. R.I.P.

My first job was in a tune up shop, back in the day where you actually had to do tune ups. The owner was a wiley old dude, he used to race cars when he was younger. I forgot what class it was, but he owned and raced a 289 Shelby Cobra. He wasn't rich by any means, so he had to drive to the track, replace the street tires with the racing tires (stored in the passanger seat) then switch them back to drive home. He told me he was racing in Texas one time, and while driving home through New Mexico it started raining. His Cobra did not have the top on, didn't even own one for it. He said he had to open the door a couple of times to let the water out, I think that might have been a slight exageration. He saw a Ford dealership, pulled in and traded his Cobra for a Pantera. When he got home he sold the Pantera and bought a (regular Mustang) to race in. Kinda sounds like something Mr. Shelby might do. My old boss says he would regret that swap till the day he died.

One of the top British drivers told about seeing his first Cobra. He wad practising on a road course and passed a car in a corner. He hit the straightaway and a blue streak passed him. That was the start.

Years ago I was racing sporty cars at an airport on the Illinois Iowa border. A young female tv reporter showed up with a tv camera and asked for a ride for the weekend news. A driver with a 427 Cobra strapped her in. He dumped the clutch, she dropped the camera in her lap and sceamed the whole time she went around the track. We couldn't't stop laughing. After the racing stopped, the Schlitz beer truck served free beer and gave out trophies (beer mugs). It was a Schlitz Cup Challenge. Why, the good old days.

When taking writers for the automotive publications [and others] for a ride in a 427 Cobra, Shelby would sometimes tape a bill [$10.00, $20.00, $50.00, & a few times $100.00] to the passenger side dashboard.

He would invite the passenger to try to grab the bill [and keep it] as he shifted from 1st to 2nd.

My understanding is that he NEVER lost one of the bills.

But I think my favorite comment about the Cobra came from Chris Economaki during his first test ride with Carroll. As Shelby launched onto an expressway with many rapidly moving vehicles, Economaki was heard to say "The traffic is sure moving fast.........wasn't it?"

Tull

Archived