SASS Wire Forum

Any of you artistic types any good with plaster?

Mustang Gregg

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

For the last few years I have been trying to acquire an real antique shooting gallery from a friend who was given it by his uncle. He said he was looking for a club to donate it to. He has never made the effort to go get it even for a very fair payment. I reckon he's dragging his feet [or the story is bullshxx]. I want to get it for a .22 side match for our club.

Anyhow, I have decided to build one. I have a KD running rabbit system figured out. But I want to cast some chalk ducks that bust into powder when shot.

Any know where to get plaster molds anymore?

Or how to make plaster molds?

I think a shooting gallery with SASS-type rimfire guns would be a real hit.

Mustang Gregg

[target designer]

If ya could lay hands on a suitable "rubber duck" or rabbit as a model, might be the easiest would be to make a mold from it. Full, six side box of plywood, (leave top off, but have it made so you could screw it in place) Prepare yer critter by mummifying it with a 1/8" thick coating of fiberglass autobody repair putty, acraglass, or even JB weld, Let stand until set, then support the mummy in the middle of the box using wooden skewers. fill box with plaster of paris and put the top on. let stand a few days then saw the whole works through the middle of the dummy using a band saw or other thin kerf saw(takes careful planning of where that middle of the dummy is) pick the dummy halves out of the fiberglass, and shazam ya got a fiberglass lined plaster mold. You can use it many, many times.

I used exactly that method to copy concrete ballisters for a fancy pool side railing, molding fifty fancy pins to replace those lost to hurricane damage. The only difference there is I had to cut the box and hinge it first, as I couldn't cut through the concrete sample.

Ree-thinking your needs it's even easier when all ya need is a half copy, flat on the back. Make an open box, do as above, then fill the box until yer plaster is at the midline of the dummy. When set, slice the dummy in half to reveal the smooth mold interior to make "rabbit muffins", flat on the back. (for a shooting gallery, who cares?)

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

On this system, we are blocked from GOOGLE.

So I can't search anything from here.

MG

Archived