SASS Wire Forum

Has anyone thought about....

I have been sitting quietly and reading all the posts about the "RW Rule", "Should we change the rule?" "Should we make a rule?" But not once have I heard anything about the young man himself. I have never got to shoot with Rattlesnake Wranger or his Dad, Colt Faro, but my brother and nephew have and I have only heard good things about each one. My worry is this; There is alot of negativity bouncing around, especially on this forum, from many whom I think are just jealous that no mater what will never stand a chance in hell of even comming close to the skill of a young man who makes everyone take notice, such negative words can have an effect on anyone, especially an impressionable young person trying to grow up, start to figure out life, and become the person they want to be. I WANT EVERYONE, I will say it again, I WANT EVERYONE to remember when you were 13 and trying to figure out your place in the world and the effect any negative statements to you or about you, had on your feelings. Don't let your insecurities or shortcommings possibly derail a youngman just trying to find his way. He may shoot like a machine but he is still just flesh and blood and can be destroyed with just a few poorly planned words. Just accept the the fact that he is good, very very good. Congradulate him, pass on a few good words, and try to help the next generation be better than the last.

With all humility,

Slim

+1,But I do think that the Snake has the suport that he need from his DAD and from his real friends.I dont think the whinners will bother him. Go Snake.

My view is this...and I have been followoing RW's progress via video's and from what his dad talks about. There are MANY more SASS pards and others that support him and wish for his continued success than others that feel different. Right on RW! Keep up the excellent work and representation of CAS out there! My daughter, soon to be shootin' Sassy Sunshine is a fan too ;)

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have been sitting quietly and reading all the posts about the "RW Rule", "Should we change the rule?" "Should we make a rule?" But not once have I heard anything about the young man himself. I have never got to shoot with Rattlesnake Wranger or his Dad, Colt Faro, but my brother and nephew have and I have only heard good things about each one. My worry is this; There is alot of negativity bouncing around, especially on this forum, from many whom I think are just jealous that no mater what will never stand a chance in hell of even comming close to the skill of a young man who makes everyone take notice, such negative words can have an effect on anyone, especially an impressionable young person trying to grow up, start to figure out life, and become the person they want to be. I WANT EVERYONE, I will say it again, I WANT EVERYONE to remember when you were 13 and trying to figure out your place in the world and the effect any negative statements to you or about you, had on your feelings. Don't let your insecurities or shortcommings possibly derail a youngman just trying to find his way. He may shoot like a machine but he is still just flesh and blood and can be destroyed with just a few poorly planned words. Just accept the the fact that he is good, very very good. Congradulate him, pass on a few good words, and try to help the next generation be better than the last.

With all humility,

Slim

Snake will step up to the plate. I have spent a lot of time with him and Colt, and he will continue to shine through it all. But like you, I sometimes worry about his coping skills at this level. He is a great kid, but he is still a kid. With a kids feelings trying to compete in a adult world, and he is doing a good job of it.

RW has friends, fans and distractors. He knows who they are and he will adjust fire accordingly.

On behalf of his freinds,

Thank you for your concern for a young mans feelings.

N.C.

When I was 13 I would have walked tall and proud knowing I beat the grownups at their game so bad they had to make a special "clarification" in the rules to keep me from doing it again, then when I was 14 I'd do it again just to shove their noses in it.

Go gettem RW. Some noses need shoving.

I'm a fan!

I'm out of the loop here. Could someone explain to me the "RW rule"? Or perhaps direct me to a relevant thread?

I am with you Old Scatterbrain what rule is this

I told my buckeroo and young gun girl about the rule change last night. They both said, "They changed the rule just for him? TOO KEWL!" B)

They've always looked up to him as a shooter, and this appears to have even raised that.

I've worried about the coping of a young teenager in all of this as well. I've often heard "It's a lot easier to raise up a child than to fix a broken adult." For those who make comment regarding this young man (or ANY child), it would be good advice to remember you're talking about a child, not an adult.

Kids can sometimes be fragile when dealing with other adults -- especially ones that they don't know that well. I have two who shoot in this game, so I have personal experience. My 14 y/o girl has cried at a shoot and told me "I want to go home" after being chastised by another adult shooter at a recent big shoot. As a parent, I try to make them feel comfortable again and teach them that sometimes you've got to just "consider the source" when dealing with some adults in those situations. I guess it's all part of growing up -- to a certain degree. However, as a parent and an adult, I find such behavior shocking.

I hope that RW takes this as a growing and learning experience. I hope the adults take it that way as well.

Chick

:FlagAm:

As a friend of both RW and Colt, watching RW practice, shoot, and interact with those young and old, this young man will take this in stride. He has that type of personality, and dedication to our wonderful sport. Sure, some of the negatives can and will affect anyone, it's what we do with it, use it, put it to our advantage in a positive way, and move on. I also predict, did so before all this, that we are looking at a future "World Champion" (overall) in the very near future. We, at our local club, have seen unbelieveable progress with our younger shooters, some of which placed very high in the overall at Texas State. They watch RW and everyone else, and are striving for their best also. We must not forget "They" are our future, so we must show them adult values as well, not schoolyard tactics.

Snake, anything you ever need, or in any way i can help, you just say the word. This is one adult that loves to see you shoot and win.

Your Pard,

Capt.Stephen D. Hill B)

I have known RW and his dad for a while now and can tell you that he is a good kid and is raised right. His dad will protect him at all costs and make sure that his head is on straight. You can probably guess by now RW has a BIG support group here in Texas that wont let the naysayers get him down. Dont believe me....just watch on the wire "when someone fires a shot across RW's bow". The person who takes a shot across the bow usually gets his boat sunk immediately.

I personally am enjoying watching this fine young fast shooter beat the Adult shooters. Wish I was that fast.

I'm beginning to wonder if him (RW) not posting on any thread on this subject shows he's more mature than the rest of us...

Colt says he is too busy dry firing and speeding up (is that possible) his shot gun technique. :lol:

I'm one lucky gal that I get to spend a lot of time with Colt and Rattlesnake... He calls me his best friend a lot of the time... He is very impressionable, so don't let his skill fool you.. He's still a teenager with teenage insecurities.. What people say affects him. It aggravates the living tar out of me when these so called "adults" talk about him or criticize him, because I know how hurtful it is to him. I know he can be a brat sometimes, but he is the sweetest, most caring, smart and funny kid I know.. It's amazing how jealousy an turn old men into big babies.

I'm one lucky gal that I get to spend a lot of time with Colt and Rattlesnake... He calls me his best friend a lot of the time... He is very impressionable, so don't let his skill fool you.. He's still a teenager with teenage insecurities.. What people say affects him. It aggravates the living tar out of me when these so called "adults" talk about him or criticize him, because I know how hurtful it is to him. I know he can be a brat sometimes, but he is the sweetest, most caring, smart and funny kid I know.. It's amazing how jealousy an turn old men into big babies.

I wish the best for him, I truly do. But it should be considered what could happen if he doesn't win at EOT. There are 6-8 shooters that have the potential to win it all. One bobble takes you from first to top 20. I know when TRO was first headed to WR he asked me what I thought his chances were. I told him that they were very good that he could win it, but it was only that, a chance. He didn't like hearing that, I think, but I did not want to be less than honest.

I just hope that the pressure to "win it all" and the constant statements from those around him don't set him up for an emotional letdown. Reality can suck sometimes, but that is just what it is, reality.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

I wish the best for him, I truly do. But it should be considered what could happen if he doesn't win at EOT. There are 6-8 shooters that have the potential to win it all. One bobble takes you from first to top 20. I know when TRO was first headed to WR he asked me what I thought his chances were. I told him that they were very good that he could win it, but it was only that, a chance. He didn't like hearing that, I think, but I did not want to be less than honest.

I just hope that the pressure to "win it all" and the constant statements from those around him don't set him up for an emotional letdown. Reality can suck sometimes, but that is just what it is, reality.

+1

I am affraid that with all this going *&^% going on. And everyone saying He is GOING to win it. Over and over.

That if he don't. And as Goody pointed out. There are a few that can all running together. But if he don't.

Then after. He will feel like he let them all down.

That's why I say LET IT DIE. Give some space.

If you don't like it. Write the WB. Lets not put any more pressure on this kid. Now or after.

It is a lot pressure for anyone to deal with.. and especially so for one so young. All you have to do is look through the post and it's not hard to see who is keeping this all going. I hope that it all passes to the third page and allows RW to adjust a bit, and not feel like he has to live up to the expectations of some who pile it on him.

Snakebite

He's a KID but yes, a champion. He already has learned how to weed the sour grapes I am sure, but yes, at that tender age, we could stand to be a little bit kind to HIM, even if some of the HOO-RAH surrounding his exploits gets a little much. These are in fact different issues, as is any chatter about rules, regardless of their source. We all remember when Bud or Holy Terror were kids too, and if one of them had done exactly what RW has, they would have been baptized into the politics of the shooting world early on too, and they would still have kicked azz.

ANY young person who can kick azz and take names in a big boys' playpen gets my respect. We all are amazed at a phenom......

I like following this young shooter. His dedication and hard work is impressive and enviable. I wish him the greatest success and know he is a piece to the larger puzzle of exposure to our sport but to be frankly honest, the SASS Wire is turning him into a dead horse topic.

And that is probably the greatest offense to RW that could happen.

I totally agree :) I also know that I'm always telling him that he's a Champ in my book no matter what place he comes home with.. He knows I love him if he's 1st or 400th place. I wish him the best at EOT and all other matches, but hopefully he knows his true fans will be behind him no matter what!

I like following this young shooter. His dedication and hard work is impressive and enviable. I wish him the greatest success and know he is a piece to the larger puzzle of exposure to our sport but to be frankly honest, the SASS Wire is turning him into a dead horse topic.

And that is probably the greatest offense to RW that could happen.

Dylan carries the world on his shoulders at times. He is his worst critic in fact. It really doesn't take that much sometimes to get to him. He is a fragile 13 year old. That being said, he also has resigned to the fact that he is going to shoot his game and let the chips fall where they may. I told him to not worry about winning overall because he needs to focus on having fun and just doing the best he can. He knows that anything can happen at a big match and we are preparing for that the best we can. I am trying to make sure that he knows that we are all ok with however he does. He's a great shooter so he has nothing to prove to anyone and I love him if he's first or last. I really do appreciate all the support from everyone. He is practicing very hard and will do the best he can. If for some reason he doesn't it will be ok and he will try again next year. If you see him just let him know you are on his side win lose or draw. That's the encouragement he needs. I never have to push him because he pushes himself hard enough.

I really appreciate this post for him because him as a young person did get lost in all the rule change

Colt, yes we will hear about him, just like we hear about Tiger Woods or Danika Patrick. THE WORLD will tell us for you, (SASS world that is). Shameless promotion by kin is fine in modest doses, but yes pard, there are some who think you have lost perspective by telling us every day. Ever watch the "weather on the nines?" Ya really don't need to watch it 6 times an hour. Maybe give Evil Roy (who is a master at self promotion) a call for tips. He NEVER promoted Holy Terror like you have RW.....

Colt, yes we will hear about him, just like we hear about Tiger Woods or Danika Patrick. THE WORLD will tell us for you, (SASS world that is). Shameless promotion by kin is fine in modest doses, but yes pard, there are some who think you have lost perspective by telling us every day. Ever watch the "weather on the nines?" Ya really don't need to watch it 6 times an hour. Maybe give Evil Roy (who is a master at self promotion) a call for tips. He NEVER promoted Holy Terror like you have RW.....

??? Ok

That is unworthy of you.

Bud and Holy Terror were never attacked individually for shooting well, nor were their parents attacked for defending them.

What?!?!?!?

I will never understand pettiness in adult men! If RW was your child you would be just as proud! Not sure what you were trying to accomplish with your post, but if stirring the pot was your goal, well punkin you sure accomplished it! Colt is well within his rights as a proud papa! You have the option to change the channel and not watch "the weather on the 9's" If you don't like reading about him, don't click the links... What business is it of yours how he promotes HIS CHILD??

I bet that if the truth were known, AJ is not the only one with that line of thought. JUst the first to speak it.

WOW....Is all I can think of...

I'm not sure Colt is promoting Rattlesnake as much as he is SHARING his exploits with the ones of us who care and enjoy hearing about him and his progress. So, Colt, I'll say it now, "Thanks for letting us share his life experiences."

Possum

When I was thirteen, I was sneaking into the back magazine rack at the drugstore to read Police Gazette. Ahhh, those were the days.............

The man is proud of his son. If you don't like to read the posts, then don't. Now the easiest way to do things, especially in the shooting world, is have one set of rules for everyone. At this rate, you will have video replay to see, did the bullet hit the target, and if so, by how much? Then we will have instant replay for was the gun at 45 degrees before being cocked? I would rather pat the young man on the back and encourage him. Old saying is that there will always be those faster than you, and slower than you, smarter than you and not as smart as you. Impress the young man with the "Spirit of the game".

Yep .......

Archived