SASS Wire Forum

Determining the Overall Match Winner

Misty Moonshine

Ii have worked with a lot of kids and I do not agree with this new rule. We are changing things because of one 80 to 90 lb. 13 year old who has decided CAS is important enough to work his can off to get very good. He is either hitting knockdown targets or hitting close enough to them they cannot be called misses, he is using full size guns and loads and has become one of the top shooters in the sport and we have to change Buckaroo rules to try to keep him from winning while at the same time complaining about not getting enough young people into the sport? What happens if he shoots for overall and has a bad day and has to make up several knockdowns and another Buckaroo(who is shooting Buckaroo rules)beats him for the class win? You have a situation where one of the best shooters in the sport is not even shooting by the same rules in his class. Buckaroos might not be put on the overall list? This is how most Buckaroos see how they did in the match and part of what drives them to work to improve. I say he is 13 YEARS OLD, HE IS SMALL FOR HIS AGE. He and the other Buckaroos have enough of a handicap. Leave it alone. What you are doing is banning him from his class. Why don't you just make him shoot 49er class? Just don't put him in Silver Senior Class.

Hello,

I have to agree with Roy, "I do not agree with this new rule." As I wrote in my first post on the subject, all categories are not equal. Some stages give GFs an advantage, others are not GF-friendly, BP shooters are at a disadvantage in stagnant air, most Duelists are at a disadvantage compared to two-handed, elders are believed to be at a disadvantage against youth...it goes back and forth for other categories. It was probably felt that Juniors were at a disadvantage until Bud won EOT as one.

The rules about fliers and KDs were made, as others have said, to enable children to compete using less powerful guns and loads.

I find it very sad to see that the Buckaroo/Buckarette rules were fine until a Buckaroo won Overall playing by them. :(

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS To give equal time to the opposition, my husband disagrees. He thinks the new rule is okay. That said, I didn't always like the idea of not having to hit a flier or KD a KD. My thinking evolved on it after talking to grandparents of a small child.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I have to agree with Roy, "I do not agree with this new rule." As I wrote in my first post on the subject, all categories are not equal. Some stages give GFs an advantage, others are not GF-friendly, BP shooters are at a disadvantage in stagnant air, most Duelists are at a disadvantage compared to two-handed, elders are believed to be at a disadvantage against youth...it goes back and forth for other categories. It was probably felt that Juniors were at a disadvantage until Bud won EOT as one.

The rules about fliers and KDs were made, as others have said, to enable children to compete using less powerful guns and loads.

I find it very sad to see that the Buckaroo/Buckarette rules were fine until a Buckaroo won Overall playing by them. :(

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS To give equal time to the opposition, my husband disagrees. He thinks the new rule is okay. That said, I didn't always like the idea of not having to hit a flier or KD a KD. My thinking evolved on it after talking to grandparents of a small child.

Let me put another spin on this, as it were.

On another thread covering this subject, It has been now brought to the front that we now have a "RULE" requiring a single category/group of shooters to make their intentions known prior to the start of the match. I thought this new rule/clarification was to ensure that all in the hunt for overall shot the same match in the same way. So, in the interest of fairness, I propose that 'ANY SHOOTER VYING FOR THE OVERALL TITLE MUST MAKE HIS/HER INTENTIONS KNOWN PRIOR TO THE START OF THE MATCH, AND, THAT SHOOTER WILL BE COMPETING FOR OVERALL ONLY AND NOT IN CATEGORY"

How's that for fairness across the board???????

I completely agree, well said!

Ii have worked with a lot of kids and I do not agree with this new rule. We are changing things because of one 80 to 90 lb. 13 year old who has decided CAS is important enough to work his can off to get very good. He is either hitting knockdown targets or hitting close enough to them they cannot be called misses, he is using full size guns and loads and has become one of the top shooters in the sport and we have to change Buckaroo rules to try to keep him from winning while at the same time complaining about not getting enough young people into the sport? What happens if he shoots for overall and has a bad day and has to make up several knockdowns and another Buckaroo(who is shooting Buckaroo rules)beats him for the class win? You have a situation where one of the best shooters in the sport is not even shooting by the same rules in his class. Buckaroos might not be put on the overall list? This is how most Buckaroos see how they did in the match and part of what drives them to work to improve. I say he is 13 YEARS OLD, HE IS SMALL FOR HIS AGE. He and the other Buckaroos have enough of a handicap. Leave it alone. What you are doing is banning him from his class. Why don't you just make him shoot 49er class? Just don't put him in Silver Senior Class.

I completely agree, well said!

X2

Why do we want to tell a great young man, Hey you are too good to shoot in your age group / catagory, but if you do (and shoot by the rules of Buckaroo) you can't win overall........I don't get it.

Let me put another spin on this, as it were.

On another thread covering this subject, It has been now brought to the front that we now have a "RULE" requiring a single category/group of shooters to make their intentions known prior to the start of the match. I thought this new rule/clarification was to ensure that all in the hunt for overall shot the same match in the same way. So, in the interest of fairness, I propose that 'ANY SHOOTER VYING FOR THE OVERALL TITLE MUST MAKE HIS/HER INTENTIONS KNOWN PRIOR TO THE START OF THE MATCH, AND, THAT SHOOTER WILL BE COMPETING FOR OVERALL ONLY AND NOT IN CATEGORY"

How's that for fairness across the board???????

I agree. It appears that we are making an exception for the exceptional. And not in his favor.

Yes they are.... Kinda sad to see the exceptional being stiffled and suppressed...

Just make the Buckaroos who shoot over the .22/.410 caliber knock them down. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.. My sister, Hopalong Cassie has shot SASS since she was 12, always with .38's and a 12 guage. After that first year we made her knockdown all targets out of principal and for practice for the Junior class.. Helped her with aiming her shotgun. As small as she was and still is she could do it.

I agree. It appears that we are making an exception for the exceptional. And not in his favor.

To compete for the Overall, they would have to shoot the same match as everyone else, with the ame requirements. .22s are not allowed for any competitors other than Buckaroos/etts.

The short answer is NO on the 22's

Hipshot

I guess I need a clarification to the clarification.

My 9 y/o buckeroo shoots .22 pistols and rifle and a single-shot 12 gauge shotgun. He does not "go Rattlesnake" and announce any intention to compete for the overall. Does the fact that he shoots .22's keep him from being included in the overall standings (not to be confused with "winning overall") at the end of the match?

I guess my question is whether a buckeroo/ette continue to be listed on the overall score sheet when they do not declare eligibility for competing in the overall championship?

Chick

---edited for clarification....and the hopes that there will be an answer. :)

Hello,

Regards,

Allie Mo

Why Allie Mo, Have you dyed your hair?

Snakebite :huh:

Did someones feelings get hurt to impose these new rulings?? MT

No, they just want everyone in the running for top dog to shoot the same match the same way. Is that too much to ask?

I started to say Evil Roy has it just about right, but I can't stop there

this new rule is chickenshit and not in the cowboy way. If you can't beat a buckaroo and it is that important to you, I say go find another game. . . SASS says that's okay we'll just legislate the overall match winner out of the reach of the people that are the future of the sport. Shame on SASS and shame on you that support this rule. Both my sons have been members. One has been looking forward to his next shoot and I've spent time and money to introduce him to a sport. One that I am now embarrassed to be a part of.

I don`t post on here much and stuff like this is the reason why.

The young man signed up and shot by the rules and won. So a bunch of the so called adults instead of congratulating him are trying to find a way to discount his accomplishment. That disgusts me. There is and was no need to change or "clarify" the rules. If you can`t beat him now--practice as hard as he does.

I`ll go back to Wild Bunch now. And if he wants to play there I will welcome him with open arms. Yes, even if if he beats me.

Two Dot

I don`t post on here much and stuff like this is the reason why.

The young man signed up and shot by the rules and won. So a bunch of the so called adults instead of congratulating him are trying to find a way to discount his accomplishment. That disgusts me. There is and was no need to change or "clarify" the rules. If you can`t beat him now--practice as hard as he does.

I`ll go back to Wild Bunch now. And if he wants to play there I will welcome him with open arms. Yes, even if if he beats me.

Two Dot

+1

GOOD LORD, MANY OF YOU SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF IPSC SHOOTERS!

The kid will start shooting with "adult guns" and when he kicks your butt then what is going to be your complaint!

SASS is getting too grey, we need the youth!

IF a buckaroo can smoke our butts and take overall so be it!

Maybe it is time to remember it is just a fun GAME! :P

I'm of two minds on this. SASS is a privately owned organization, and as such many rule changes have been handed down throughout its history by decree and without formal interaction of the TGs. Many of these rulings have been slated to take effect at the next EOT. I've been to many a watering hole discussion where this was lamented and argued over, but at some point it was always conceded that it was SASS's ball, bat, and glove. The TGs provide a service set out by SASS and follow rules set by SASS, and have the control over the rules that SASS provides. So if this is the ruling by SASS, those are the rules of SASS. The rules change as SASS sees new faults with the ones in place. Rules should be followed at SASS State, Regional, National, and World level matches at all times so that all shooters are shooting the same match and TO, PM, shift, or day differences do not alter the competition.

That said, if this rule was made so that one shooter in a category with its own specific rules couldn't win overall while competing within the rules of that category, that would seem to be more than a bit petty, and really not cowboy. It is not clear to me whether this ruling was made for one specific shooter, or because of a perception of impropriety which a shooter exposed to SASS.

As far as content of the ruling goes, I cannot think of any other category specific rule which has a potentially positive effect on a shooters stage time which is inherently not possible to achieve in another category (age comes to mind), so this is SASS's decision on how they wish the concept of "everyone shoots the same match" to be codified. Speaking of age, what is the reason for the knock-down allowance in Buckaroo?

It doesn't surprise me that Rattlesnake has made a category decision for EOT which makes this new ruling irrelevant to his performance at the match. I have heard nothing but good about his attitude and character; his choice fits what I've heard to a T.

:ph34r: I do think the conversations would be more interesting if the person in second on the scoresheet was granted the title of "Overall World Chamion,", but I wouldn't want Rattlesnake or any other shooter to be deprived of his title just to drive home why some don't like this new ruling.

Flame Suit On

I would also think that under this ruling any Rank Point matches State or above would alter the scores so that a buckaroo who didn't knock targets over on a stage would not add any rank points to any other shooters for that stage.

With total time it wouldn't matter :ph34r:

Flame Suit Off

All shooters regardless of age should be in ONE and the same only category.

All shooters of any age should be allowed to use 22s and 410s at their discretion and take their chances with the knockdowns and birds. I do believe 22s and 410s make power factor.

All shooters should be allowed to use any pistol shooting style at their discretion.

Problem solved and a fortune saved on awards for all the myriad deleted categories.

What if they just leave the rule the way it's always been and Rattlesnake will shoot it just like the adult class. Will that make everything easier or is it still a problem?

Sir, and I use that term, because you and your son have been gentlemen and as upstanding throughout this as anyone I have had the pleasure to meet, I understand not wanting this made about your son and I greatly respect his accomplishments and attitude.

What upsets me is the very idea that the buckaroo class is now relegated to being a less than a "real" class. It says to my son "If you shoot Buckaroo, you aren't playing the same game." It is wrong and I am truly sorry if my strong opinion in anyway makes your son feel caught in the middle.

Sir, and I use that term, because you and your son have been gentlemen and as upstanding throughout this as anyone I have had the pleasure to meet, I understand not wanting this made about your son and I greatly respect his accomplishments and attitude.

What upsets me is the very idea that the buckaroo class is now relegated to being a less than a "real" class. It says to my son "If you shoot Buckaroo, you aren't playing the same game." It is wrong and I am truly sorry if my strong opinion in anyway makes your son feel caught in the middle.

Your opinion didn't make him or me feel that way at all. I really appreciate your input on this. Our concern right now is more for the other shooters this whole thing effects. We are already the eye of this hurricane and it's quite calm this morning where we are.

Rattlesnake knows EXACTLY what you mean about how your son may view the buckaroo category. That's one of the reasons he may shoot another category at EOT. Please don't let this effect his view on the sport this will all work out. In my opinion the Buckaroo category is the one of the most important in the sport and it's the one that needs the most nurturing because they are the beginning of the future of our sport. We must treat them with respect, feed them with knowledge, hone their skills, promote and celebrate their success. That my friends is a winning formula!!!!

Colt

this new rule is chickenshit and not in the cowboy way. If you can't beat a buckaroo and it is that important to you, I say go find another game. . . SASS says that's okay we'll just legislate the overall match winner out of the reach of the people that are the future of the sport. Shame on SASS and shame on you that support this rule. Both my sons have been members. One has been looking forward to his next shoot and I've spent time and money to introduce him to a sport. One that I am now embarrassed to be a part of.

It seems that those governing SASS have made a mistake in their clarifying the buckaroo/buckarette category and their intentions of beating everyone else at a match.

I happen to agree with what Evil Roy and J. Mark Flint have said... +1

Ok(who's getting ready to get his grandson into SASS as a Buckaroo)b

Speaking of age, what is the reason for the knock-down allowance in Buckaroo?

The reason is because buckeroos/buckerettes are allowed to use .22 lr and .410 shotshells which lack the power required to take down knockdowns. It has nothing to do with the limitations of the shooter. If a buckeroo/buckerette uses centerfire guns and 12 gauge, this limitation does not exist; therefore, there is no reason for the knockdown exemption.

I couldn't agree more......funny how this didn't matter until a Buckaroo started WHOOPING grownups......I just hope RW doesn't take any of these negative comments with the feeling that he had any part in this "sour-grape, (My Opinion Only)" clarification. He could out-shoot me using any rule or in any catagory......and I hold no negative feelings about that fact.

I'm of two minds on this. SASS is a privately owned organization, and as such many rule changes have been handed down throughout its history by decree and without formal interaction of the TGs. Many of these rulings have been slated to take effect at the next EOT. I've been to many a watering hole discussion where this was lamented and argued over, but at some point it was always conceded that it was SASS's ball, bat, and glove. The TGs provide a service set out by SASS and follow rules set by SASS, and have the control over the rules that SASS provides. So if this is the ruling by SASS, those are the rules of SASS. The rules change as SASS sees new faults with the ones in place. Rules should be followed at SASS State, Regional, National, and World level matches at all times so that all shooters are shooting the same match and TO, PM, shift, or day differences do not alter the competition.

That said, if this rule was made so that one shooter in a category with its own specific rules couldn't win overall while competing within the rules of that category, that would seem to be more than a bit petty, and really not cowboy. It is not clear to me whether this ruling was made for one specific shooter, or because of a perception of impropriety which a shooter exposed to SASS.

As far as content of the ruling goes, I cannot think of any other category specific rule which has a potentially positive effect on a shooters stage time which is inherently not possible to achieve in another category (age comes to mind), so this is SASS's decision on how they wish the concept of "everyone shoots the same match" to be codified. Speaking of age, what is the reason for the knock-down allowance in Buckaroo?

It doesn't surprise me that Rattlesnake has made a category decision for EOT which makes this new ruling irrelevant to his performance at the match. I have heard nothing but good about his attitude and character; his choice fits what I've heard to a T.

:ph34r: I do think the conversations would be more interesting if the person in second on the scoresheet was granted the title of "Overall World Chamion,", but I wouldn't want Rattlesnake or any other shooter to be deprived of his title just to drive home why some don't like this new ruling.

Bud,

As always you seem to plow through the ten miles of bovine excrement and leave only what is relevant. Good on you for a spot-on assessment.

Whoa!!!!!!! .......TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

What he said

There seems to be lots of one veiw on here so I will give another. People keep talking about what this is going to do to RW mentality. How about this we quit telling him he is a victim and that the "man" is trying to cheat him. That the older people in SASS are not on a personal vendetta.

How about we tell him that he is a great shooter and has highlighted a flaw in the SASS catagories.

That the current rules were put in effect to help younger shooters learn how to shoot, and not as a handycapping system to help them win.

So how about this.

RW you are a great shooter one of the best in any age group, but as such you have outgrown in ability, if not age certian concessions made to buck/ette shooters, and if you would like to show that you are truelly one of the top shooters in the world you are welcome to do so but must shoot the courses of fire under the same rules as all the rest of the top shooters. There by showing you are one of the best overall shooters. This is a compliment to your shooting ability that you are at a level to compete with the best in SASS.

Black Tom

There seems to be lots of one veiw on here so I will give another. People keep talking about what this is going to do to RW mentality. How about this we quit telling him he is a victim and that the "man" is trying to cheat him. That the older people in SASS are not on a personal vendetta.

How about we tell him that he is a great shooter and has highlighted a flaw in the SASS catagories.

That the current rules were put in effect to help younger shooters learn how to shoot, and not as a handycapping system to help them win.

So how about this.

RW you are a great shooter one of the best in any age group, but as such you have outgrown in ability, if not age certian concessions made to buck/ette shooters, and if you would like to show that you are truelly one of the top shooters in the world you are welcome to do so but must shoot the courses of fire under the same rules as all the rest of the top shooters. There by showing you are one of the best overall shooters. This is a compliment to your shooting ability that you are at a level to compete with the best in SASS.

Black Tom

I'm assuming you didn't see what I wrote on the other threads or what he himself wrote.

Just make the Buckaroos who shoot over the .22/.410 caliber knock them down. It doesn't seem like rocket science to me.

A simple solution that has been overlooked. By doing so, nobody would need declare they're going for the golden ring. Common sense says the rule existed simply because of the possibility that a .410, even when hit properly, might not take down a reactive target. When a young shooter moves from .22's and .410's, it's like taking the training wheels off a bicycle; they go faster.

I can't bring myself to think of Rattlesnake as a wronged child. He is without a doubt a young man who is rapidly becoming a Neil Armstrong of our sport by changing the paradigm of what is possible. He's already famous for it and will be remembered in years to come because of it. He has taken off the training wheels and is flying. I seriously don't understand what all the fuss is about. He's Neil Armstrong wearing six guns. Yee-haw! Get 'em Rattlesnake!

A simple solution that has been overlooked. By doing so, nobody would need declare they're going for the golden ring. Common sense says the rule existed simply because of the possibility that a .410, even when hit properly, might not take down a reactive target. When a young shooter moves from .22's and .410's, it's like taking the training wheels off a bicycle; they go faster.

I can't bring myself to think of Rattlesnake as a wronged child. He is without a doubt a young man who is rapidly becoming a Neil Armstrong of our sport by changing the paradigm of what is possible. He's already famous for it and will be remembered in years to come because of it. He has taken off the training wheels and is flying. I seriously don't understand what all the fuss is about. He's Neil Armstrong wearing six guns. Yee-haw! Get 'em Rattlesnake!

Very flattering Buck! I hope Dylan doesn't see it and get a big head. Lol. Seriously though, I think this is on the right track. I have a solution that should fix most of this and I'd like some input on it.

Here is my idea. First off make everryone in the buckaroo class both male and female shoot the match like everyone else regarding knockdowns, birds etc. the guns in the buckaroo class will be .32 caliber and above. Shotgun will be 20 gauge and above. The age bracket will still be the same 9-13. This way all can be scored with the main match not effecting any other category. This will now be called Master Buckaroo. Then we have a standard Buckaroo class where they are scored separate from the main match. The current buckaroo rules would be in effect with regards to KD's. They could use 22's and 410's if they want or any sass legal caliber if they so choose. This would serve as a training ground so to speak and when they are ready to move up they can. Ages for this category would be 9-13 the same as Master Buckaroo except it would not be scored with the main match so as not to interfere with the main match scoring and rank placement. There would be awards for this category as well of course. If SASS would embrace this concept I bet Colt Faro and Rattlesnake Wrangler would sponsor the awards for the new sub buckaroo class at EOT and Winter Range for 2012 and 2013. I think this would be a successful way to approach the current challenge that is before us.

Colt Faro

First, there is too much emphasis on good (young) Rattle Snake. Great guy that he is, this change is larger than one person and will impact many people.

So I recommend we look at the rule and impact in general. (Of course, consider his input as we should all in that age group.)

As to 22's, one of the advantages of allowing the youngest folks to shoot 22's is economics for the parents. I would hate to see that eliminated.

From what I've seen, it is very hard (maybe impossible) to get a 22 revolver to be as slick and fast as a good center fire revolver. Similarly, the 22 rifles are generally not a speed advantage. So I would not consider them as being advantage over what everyone else shoots.

I was thinking of several words to describe it, but I think "chickenshit" is the best word I've seen so far. Good on ya J. Mark for nailing it in this response.

I will also say this. If my chubby little 4'9" 9 y/o shooting a pair of Heritage Rough Rider .22's, Henry Youth .22 rifle and a single shot 12 gauge shotgun with below-recipe loads is scaring all of you grown-ups and your precious "Rank Point Overall Standings," then I'm as embarrassed as J. Mark is to be a part of this organization.

Go ahead. Screw this up and run off all of the young shooters.....and their parents, grandparents, uncles, etc.

Chick

I was thinking of several words to describe it, but I think "chickenshit" is the best word I've seen so far. Good on ya J. Mark for nailing it in this response.

I will also say this. If my chubby little 4'9" 9 y/o shooting a pair of Heritage Rough Rider .22's, Henry Youth .22 rifle and a single shot 12 gauge shotgun with below-recipe loads is scaring all of you grown-ups and your precious "Rank Point Overall Standings," then I'm as embarrassed as J. Mark is to be a part of this organization.

Go ahead. Screw this up and run off all of the young shooters.....and their parents, grandparents, uncles, etc.

Chick

vote with your check Book DAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Archived