SASS Wire Forum

Cimarron Revolvers

Col. Roosevelt

Howdy Folks. A friend of mine called me the other asking about cimarron revolvers. He is not a CAS, yet, but liked the look of the pistol and knew I had one. He asked how I liked mine, and I said i liked it. That it had always functioned reliably and that I would probably buy another if one came along priced right. My only caution was the cylinder pin retaining screw on the front of the frame. I am always checking it to make sure it doesn't get loose. Never had a problem though. I only have the one and was wanting any other owners to chime in.

What kind of Cimarron revolver? Model P, open-top, break-top, etc? One of the variants (Wyatt Earp, Hand of God, etc)?

Howdy Folks. A friend of mine called me the other asking about cimarron revolvers. He is not a CAS, yet, but liked the look of the pistol and knew I had one. He asked how I liked mine, and I said i liked it. That it had always functioned reliably and that I would probably buy another if one came along priced right. My only caution was the cylinder pin retaining screw on the front of the frame. I am always checking it to make sure it doesn't get loose. Never had a problem though. I only have the one and was wanting any other owners to chime in.

The screw in the frame to retain the cylinder pin is the so called black powder frame,that doesn't mean you can not use smokeless powder in the Cimarron BP framed gun.

It is left over from the first style of cylinder pin retention that Colt used,along about 1896 Colt went from that method to the current spring loaded latch,push to release the cylinder pin,most are used to.

My preference is for the BP retention screw but others will opt for the spring loaded latch,six of one half dozen of the other.

Adios Sgt. Jake

I have a pair of the new Thunderstorms 3 1/2, 357's. I really like them they are made by Pietta. Shoots BP great!

Painted Filly

The Cimarron BP frame models have a small frame screw holding the base pin from moving forward. However, this screw does not stay in place and can fall out when loose. Cimarron/Uberti supplies a knurled head screw with the new piece. This is a replacement for the set screw. This screw can be found in the original box, under a tap in the lower left hand corner of the box in a little plastic bag. VTI also has this knurled screw as a part.

Now the procedure for keeping this knurled screw from backing out and a possible lose.

I purchased from the local hardware a very small rubber/vinyl 0-ring. This 0-ring is slipped over the threads and located between the screw knurled head and the Revolver frame. A small amount of tension keeps the knurled screw in place. The key is the size of the 0-ring, keep it small or it will take up to much space and not secure the base-pin.

I own a Cimarrom Artillary Model BP frame 5 1/2". I would expect the Cavalary Model BP frames to also have this knurled replacement screw in the original box.

Cimarron has a descent reputation and are pretty good at standing behind their products. I have been shooting Uberti firearms for over 30 years, which is basically what a Cimarron is.

My two were exceptions to the norm from what I am told. I have a Cimarron Lightning that right out of the box had to have the firing pin replaced. It was not long enough to give a good strike on the primer. Cimarron offered to fix the gun - but considering shipping cost and the projected turn around time - I took it to a local gunsmith who fabricated one and the next day I was in business. This gun has become one of my all time favorites.

Next, came my Cimarron Bisley. Right out of the box it was problems. The cylinder had been aggressively buffed at the factory during the final finish to the extent it would not lock up. I wound up replacing the cylinder. Then, springs began to fail and break. Seems like I had an unusual run of bad luck in this area. I also had to go to VTI and replace the hammer assembly to get it to work right. All in all it took me close to a year and multiple mailings, parts replacement, and tweaking of the gun to get it right.

You can get lemons with any brand - but, I don't see the extra cost being justified with Cimarron. I would buy the Uberti and tweak it as necessary. My Uberti C&B revolvers all have shot great right out of the box.

Cimarron has a descent reputation and are pretty good at standing behind their products. I have been shooting Uberti firearms for over 30 years, which is basically what a Cimarron is.

My two were exceptions to the norm from what I am told. I have a Cimarron Lightning that right out of the box had to have the firing pin replaced. It was not long enough to give a good strike on the primer. Cimarron offered to fix the gun - but considering shipping cost and the projected turn around time - I took it to a local gunsmith who fabricated one and the next day I was in business. This gun has become one of my all time favorites.

Next, came my Cimarron Bisley. Right out of the box it was problems. The cylinder had been aggressively buffed at the factory during the final finish to the extent it would not lock up. I wound up replacing the cylinder. Then, springs began to fail and break. Seems like I had an unusual run of bad luck in this area. I also had to go to VTI and replace the hammer assembly to get it to work right. All in all it took me close to a year and multiple mailings, parts replacement, and tweaking of the gun to get it right.

You can get lemons with any brand - but, I don't see the extra cost being justified with Cimarron. I would buy the Uberti and tweak it as necessary. My Uberti C&B revolvers all have shot great right out of the box.

"I have been shooting Uberti firearms for over 30 years, which is basically what a Cimarron is."

Except for the roll markings that's exactly what they are

I have owned over 20 Cimarron (Uberti) revolvers and two rifles over the past 20 years. I currently have four revolvers and a rifle. I have been nothing but satisfied with all of them. I had one problem with a New Model P about 20 years ago, and Cimarron fixed it promptly at no charge. I like the Cimarron specs because they use the same roll markings as the original guns with the exception that theirs say "Cimarron" on them. Cimarron also uses the Colt-style hammer (without the Uberti safety thingy) in their Colt replicas - they were the first to do this and now many of the other importers are doing the same thing. Cimarron also offers the pre-1896 frame (with the screw) as well as the post-1896 ("pre-war" with the spring catch)so the buyer can choose. If you're a history fan like me, I appreciate being able to configure my gun for the period I am re-enacting. It's true that many of the importers purchase their guns from Uberti, but Cimarron's specifications are IMHO the best. Some folks won't care about all of these details, but to each his (or her) own. Get what pleases you. Happy trails, Squint

Uberti makes pretty darn good pistols. If you're worried about losing the screw on the range there is a simple cheap cure. After you clean your guns dab a bit of clear fingernail polish on the threads and screw it in. It won't come out until you unscrew it. It will be a little bit snug so make sure you use a proper fitting srewdriver so you don't bugger pu the head of the screw.

Personally, I like the smokeless frame. But that's just a matter of personal preference.

I shoot the Pre 1886 frame guns in .45 Colt and use the thumb-screw and make it a habit to check it twice a match ....

Some say my loads rattle their teeth ,,,,,,,,,,,, so no supprize that the screw loosens on ocassion ....

I have plain "Jane" Uberti's ... And one Boat anchor Pietta .....

Jabez Cowboy

My only caution was the cylinder pin retaining screw on the front of the frame. I am always checking it to make sure it doesn't get loose. Never had a problem though. I only have the one and was wanting any other owners to chime in.

If you are talking about the Model 'P' revolvers, I have 3 (1 in .45 and 2 in .38-40) that have the cylinder pin retaining screw. I've never lost one (don't mean it won't happen). I always put a drop of BLUE Loctite on it when putting it back in the frame. Some times I use clear nail polish. Either helps to keep the screw in place.

I shoot the Pre 1886 frame guns in .45 Colt and use the thumb-screw and make it a habit to check it twice a match ....

Some say my loads rattle their teeth ,,,,,,,,,,,, so no supprize that the screw loosens on ocassion ....

I have plain "Jane" Uberti's ... And one Boat anchor Pietta .....

Jabez Cowboy

Install the O-ring, you will like it. ;)

I have a pair of the new Thunderstorms 3 1/2, 357's. I really like them they are made by Pietta. Shoots BP great!

Painted Filly

I have a pair of the new Thunderstorms as well in 45lc with bird grips. This Cimarron model has a low profile hammer. . Supersmooth action/trigger right out of the box. No action job required. Feel good and the finish is nice. I had a pair of Ruger NM Vaqueros, but prefer these Thunderstorms.

"I have been shooting Uberti firearms for over 30 years, which is basically what a Cimarron is."

Except for the roll markings that's exactly what they are - Doc Flimshaw

Yep - but your gonna pay extra for the Cimarron in most cases. They are supposed to be select firearms that are the best of the Ubertis??? I've had better luck with the the "Plain Jane" Uberti. Unless you are wanting a finish that Cimarron exclusively offers, why pay the extra?

Unless you are wanting a finish that Cimarron exclusively offers, why pay the extra?

A Cimarron rep once told me that Cimarron does their own nicle-plating, which is supposed to be better than the Uberti process. Don't know about the other finishes.

Archived