SASS Wire Forum

1873 Barrel Relining Project...with Pictures!

Rancho Roy

I went out to the shop and stripped the 1873 down to receiver and barrel.

Need to remove the barrel to put it into the lathe to bore it out. I was extremely concerned about removing a barrel from a 128 year old gun. But I put the barrel into the vise, attached the receiver wrench and with about 20 pounds of force the barrel simply popped right off! NICE!

I also received my Cody Museum letter. It's posted on the web site.

You can follow the whole project if you like on my web site......complete with pictures!

www.rvbprecision.com

Got the hole drilled in the old barrel tonight. Went well.

Read and see pictures on the web sight

www.rvbprecision.com

Got the hole drilled in the old barrel tonight. Went well.

Read and see pictures on the web sight

www.rvbprecision.com

Great job and thanks for the pictures. What a lost art. When I was a kid, lots of neighbors dad's had a lathe in their basement workshops. But that was when all boys were required to take shop in school. What a lost art! I've added your link below so pards can click on it from here.

Winchester rebarrel link

Wouldn't cutting the chmber first weaken the liner somewhat?

Yes, I think you are correct. But the advantage is once the chamber is cut in the liner, the liner can be inserted into the barrel with the Locktite applied and the action attached to the barrel. A case can be inserted into the chamber, the action closed and by tapping on the muzzle end of the liner, perfect headspace can be achieved easily.

At least that would be the plan!

www.rvbprecision.com

When I did mine, I used the traditional solder method. A bit harder, but the way they used to do it. I just could not bring myself to use acraglass or some other epoxy.

One thing to keep in mind. You pointed out that your liner has a bend in it. In my experience, all liners have bends in them. A kink is bad, but a general arc across the entire barrel is OK. The bore should not have a bend in it. Depending on how bad it is, you might look into straightening the barrel (barrel straightening is commonly done during manufacturing and is designed to insure that the bore is straight, the outside does not matter). When your bore is straight, you can align the liner so that the arc is in the vertical plane, so any bore misalignment (and any shift in point of impact) is vertical rather than horizontal. Both can be adjusted for by moving the sights but, a vertical sight adjustment is easier and less obvious than a horizontal sight adjustment (your sights are not way off to the side, which looks odd)

Good luck with your project.

Always wondered what was involved with a barrel reline. Even I am not dumb enough to contemplate doing that with a hand drill.

Great story telling!

I took the "old gal" to the range this afternoon and posted target pictures on the web site. www.rvbprecision.com

Fantastic accuracy! I could not possibly be happier on how this rifle came out! It handles great. The action is extremely smooth and the trigger breaks like glass! I'll need to add a higher front sight, but the windage was spot on without adjusting anything. This can be an issue with barrel liners. I lucked out big time!

Now all I need to do is learn how to load 38-40 ammo so the bullets don't get pushed into the case in the magazine! Need to do "crimp" research.

Thanks!

Yes, I think you are correct. But the advantage is once the chamber is cut in the liner, the liner can be inserted into the barrel with the Locktite applied and the action attached to the barrel. A case can be inserted into the chamber, the action closed and by tapping on the muzzle end of the liner, perfect headspace can be achieved easily.

At least that would be the plan!

www.rvbprecision.com

ok, I'm sold! :)

ok, I'm sold! :)

Yea, but I wimped out (see web site write up). I was chicken that the locktite would set up too fast and I'd have a mess on my hands. So I did it the conventional way........which I'm much more comfortable with.

Came out great!

Archived