SASS Wire Forum

gunsmoke 1955

Trigger Mike

Saw the 1955 Christmas Episode and the week after on the western channel. The 1955 episodes seem a lot better than the other ones, especially the 60s and a lot better than the color ones.

We watch them every night during the week. My two year old at the intro to each episode stands in front of the tv like Matt, legs spread way past his shoulders, hums the intro tune, moves his hand up in down like he is impatiently drawing and fires his finger gun right before Matt does. Usually he takes his other hand and cocks the hammer one more time, then sloooowly puts it back in his make believe holster and moves it up and down some before resuming his day. its hilarious.

my hope is they will learn the ethics and sense of duty displayed by Matt.

On the early episodes I get a kick out of him walking thru Boot Hill dressed in a vest and tie, and looking skinny like a rail, with the narrator saying about Matt putting all the graves there.

Mike, you oughta videotape your son and put it on YouTube. I'd love to see him go thru his "Matt Dillon routine".

I get the western channel here too, Gunsmoke and by the other title "Matt Dillon".

So far all with "Chester Good", no Festes yet.

I get the western channel here too, Gunsmoke and by the other title "Matt Dillon".

So far all with "Chester Good", no Festes yet.

once in a while they show Festus, but I like Chester better in the older ones. I video taped him but he saw the camera and cut a lot of it short to brag, "Me dada, ME"

The early 1/2 hour Gunsmokes used a lot of radio scripts from the Gunsmoke series. They show a more violent side of Matt that was later honed down. He's emptied his pistol into a bad guy that killed his best friend, ambushed outlaws, instead of later day asking for a surrender first. Many times Matt shot first. Hard to believe the amount of action that can be placed into a 26 minute time frame, but early TV did that a lot. MT

Archived