SASS Wire Forum

Concealed Carry Law in New Mexico changed

Friday I learned that New Mexico has a new czar over the Concealed Carry Program at NMDPS. William Hubbard, the new head of the concealed Carry unit, recently announced that NM would no longer recognize CC Permits from 17 states, Colorado is one of them. I,for one,will be limiting my trips to NM in the future. I intend on writing the NM Tourism department, the Governors office and NMDPS informing them of this. If anyone wants to send an email to the NMDPS and protest, it can be sent to: Suzanne.Skasik@State.NM.US. This also means that NM CC holders will not be recognized here in Colorado.Hope the NRA jumps on this as they have a big stake in NM at Whittington Center in Raton.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday I learned that New Mexico has a new czar over the Concealed Carry Program at NMDPS. William Hubbard, the new head of the concealed Carry unit, recently announced that NM would no longer recognize CC Permits from 17 states, Colorado is one of them. I,for one,will be limiting my trips to NM in the future. I intend on writing the NM Tourism department, the Governors office and NMDPS informing them of this. If anyone wants to send an email to the NMDPS and protest, it can be sent to: Suzanne.Skasik@State.NM.US. This also means that NM CC holders will not be recognized here in Colorado.Hope the NRA jumps on this as they have a big stake in NM at Whittington Center in Raton.

So is this idiot a Democrat?

KK

Not good news. My two retirement cities were.

1. Albuquerque

2. Tucson

Looks like I'll be changing Tucson to #1!

Yup. It seems The New Mexico Department of Public Safety has made radical changes to their concealed carry regulations, specifically reciprocity with other states.

http://www.dps.nm.or...ity-agreements/

Well, I guess I won't be attending this year's End of Trail afterall. So sad.

Jake

Dear Ms. Skasik,

It has come to my attention, as well as to the attention of approximately 90,000 avid competitors in the Single Action Shooting Society, which is headquartered in Edgewood, NM that the state of NM has recently elected to deny reciprocity for concealed carry permit holders in 17 states. While you are free to enact any laws you may wish to with regard your own state; please rest assured that many of us will now immediately change our travel plans to NM.

This is important timing for several reasons. Not the least of which is that the entire US is now closer than ever to National reciprocity, but also and closer to NM, the End of Trail World Championships will be held in Edgewood NM 16- 26 June 2012. End of Trail (EOT) draws enthusiasts from 50 states and 15 foreign countries every year. One reason is that New Mexico is respected for the courtesy, dignity and respect that has always been a hallmark of the way New Mexico has treated the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. That a law abiding citizen’s right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Apparently you’ve decided that was no longer a good idea. Apparently those law abiding citizens who across America are willing to prove their respect for the law by submitting to course work, testing, background checks and pay a fee for the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon for self- defense and the defense of their loved ones are no longer to be trusted with that privilege or right in New Mexico.

Apparently the law abiding citizens of 17 states who are willing to clear all of these hurdles are no longer welcome to travel safely in the state of New Mexico. Instead, away from home, traveling in a strange land and subject to not only the dangers of travel, but also away from hearth and home in a world of constant border crossings, illegals released early, and rampant urban gangs, we’re asked to be either defenseless or join the ranks of the criminals who really don’t care about your silly laws anyway.

This is pure, unmitigated genius that could only come from the loins of a bureaucrat. In a time when the news of yet another wave of crime hits city after city you’ve now deduced that the best way to protect the law abiding citizen is to make those who have shown their willingness to abide by the law into criminals in your state if they choose to exercise their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. BRILLIANT!

I just scratched New Mexico off my list of places I just gotta go, people I just gotta meet and things I just gotta do.

King Cavalier II

President

King of the Mountain, Inc.

PO Box 7946

Loveland CO 80537

www.kingofthemountain.com

king@kingofthemountain.com

970 962-9306 ext 202

970 481-7569 mobile

Nice move, idiot NM 'commissioner'. My Florida permit is no longer recognized. Last EOT, could carry concealed all the way to NM. Not now. :angry:

SASS probably should put out a short notice that those folks that come to EOT better leave their CC guns at home. I certainly will not be spending my tourism dollars in NM. Bonehead.

I would like to know exactly how stringent the NEW MEXICO requirements are. Example. Michigan is not accepted and in the requirements a CCW in Mich must complete an 8 hour course on handgun laws, handling, safety, etc. and included is 1 1/2 hours shooting on a range to show competency.

I too, have multiple permits (Indiana, Utah and Florida) and apparently New Mexico has higher standards than everyone else.....

KK

I won't be going there in the near future....I did like to hunt there.....no more.

Dear Ms. Skasik,

It has come to my attention, as well as to the attention of approximately 90,000 avid competitors in the Single Action Shooting Society, which is headquartered in Edgewood, NM that the state of NM has recently elected to deny reciprocity for concealed carry permit holders in 17 states. While you are free to enact any laws you may wish to with regard your own state; please rest assured that many of us will now immediately change our travel plans to NM.

This is important timing for several reasons. Not the least of which is that the entire US is now closer than ever to National reciprocity, but also and closer to NM, the End of Trail World Championships will be held in Edgewood NM 16- 26 June 2012. End of Trail (EOT) draws enthusiasts from 50 states and 15 foreign countries every year. One reason is that New Mexico is respected for the courtesy, dignity and respect that has always been a hallmark of the way New Mexico has treated the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution. That a law abiding citizen's right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Apparently you've decided that was no longer a good idea. Apparently those law abiding citizens who across America are willing to prove their respect for the law by submitting to course work, testing, background checks and pay a fee for the privilege of carrying a concealed weapon for self- defense and the defense of their loved ones are no longer to be trusted with that privilege or right in New Mexico.

Apparently the law abiding citizens of 17 states who are willing to clear all of these hurdles are no longer welcome to travel safely in the state of New Mexico. Instead, away from home, traveling in a strange land and subject to not only the dangers of travel, but also away from hearth and home in a world of constant border crossings, illegals released early, and rampant urban gangs, we're asked to be either defenseless or join the ranks of the criminals who really don't care about your silly laws anyway.

This is pure, unmitigated genius that could only come from the loins of a bureaucrat. In a time when the news of yet another wave of crime hits city after city you've now deduced that the best way to protect the law abiding citizen is to make those who have shown their willingness to abide by the law into criminals in your state if they choose to exercise their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms. BRILLIANT!

I just scratched New Mexico off my list of places I just gotta go, people I just gotta meet and things I just gotta do.

King Cavalier II

President

King of the Mountain, Inc.

PO Box 7946

Loveland CO 80537

www.kingofthemountain.com

king@kingofthemountain.com

970 962-9306 ext 202

970 481-7569 mobile

+1 and BTT

I just sent my email to : Suzanne.Skasik@State.NM.US and told them in a nice way that they will not see me or my money in their state again.

KK

I invite all who read this to do the same. Just copy and paste the above email address and send the email today.

Here is what I sent: To whom it may concern: I recently heard of your new CCW Czar recinding the reciprocity with some 17 states stating their standards do not meet yours. I am an NRA instructor, Utah CCW Instructor, Florida CCW Instructor, Michigan CCW Instructor and an avid hunter.

I recently came to Ted Turner's ranch hunting and spent approx. $10k in your state. I am also a Cowboy Action Shooter and we hold many competitions there to include the World Championship where over 800 attend from these 50 states.

I for one will cancel all of my future trips to your state and in my classes I will strongly urge my students to do the same.

Enjoy your decision.

Karl M Peterson

Ft Wayne, Indiana

NRA Instructor #172849073

My question is does this affect me getting my other guns to EOT? not just my cc but my competition guns?

Painted Filly

No...it just effects those of us who have Concealed Carry Permits from other states which WERE recognized by New Mexico.

Texas has apparently sinned because we allow:

"... a member or veteran of the United States armed forces, including a member or veteran of the reserves or national guard;

(2) was discharged under honorable conditions, if discharged from the United States armed forces, reserves, or national guard;"

who is over age 18 but not yet 21.

They might as well say that they don't recognise this: :FlagAm:

Olen

It boils down to one thing....money. When I lived in California, it really frustrated me that California wouldn't accept any other state's concealed weapons permit. Now that I live in Utah, I find that 36 states...uh...make that 35 now...will accept Utah's permit.

But it only takes fourth grade math to figure out why. If I remember correctly, California charges $150 for a permit. In addition, you must take a class for $85. The permit is good for two years. Then you must take the class again for $85 and pay $150 for renewal.

Utah charges forty bucks for the class. The permit is good for five years and the renewal fee is $15 without ever having to take the class again.

If California accepted Utah's permit, just think of the amount of revenue California would lose? New Mexico is probably figuring the same thing.

Well, the thing is, anyone can OPEN carry in NM anywhere concealed carry would be permitted, and carrying in your car is not considered concealed. I think the law on reciprocity of concealed carry is ridiculous and ill-advised, but it doesn't mean you're defenseless in NM. I personally never carry concealed here in NC anyway, if I have a firearm it is open carry.

KK has the right approach. Our governor has a concealed carry permit (you can find a video of her qualifying online). Communication with her could be effective. PF, please bring you guns and compete at EOT. I don't know how this would limit your participation.

It looks like the New Mexico Shooting Sports Association has more work to do in Santa Fe. The wording of the law allowed more latitude than the Office of Public Safety used. Fortunately our governer will sign reasonable changes. We need to get this fixed before she leaves office.

So in other words, don't carry my gun in my purse in NM my Colorado Permit is no good. :(

Painted Filly

This is crap. :angry:

Like Big Sage, my spending trips to NM will be very limited now.

Now, I could get my retired LEO nationwide carry license but I decided I wouldn't go that route because the law abiding citizens of this country do not have that ability. So I have a Colorado state license instead. If that's not good enough for NM then so be it. I'm writing a letter too. But I don't vote in NM so I doubt it'll do much good. :angry:

But you New Mexico folks make sure you holler loud and long. This also effects your ability to carry in other states who have or will soon drop their reciprocity and you will be limited in your ability to carry out of your state.

Well, the thing is, anyone can OPEN carry in NM anywhere concealed carry would be permitted, and carrying in your car is not considered concealed. I think the law on reciprocity of concealed carry is ridiculous and ill-advised, but it doesn't mean you're defenseless in NM. I personally never carry concealed here in NC anyway, if I have a firearm it is open carry.

Try walking into a store in downtown Albuquerque with a visible sidearm and see what happens. <_<

KK,

After reading your post I would like to ask if you have to submit finger print cards for you CCW?

The reason I ask is that your requirements are at least as stringent as those in Oklahoma, where I have mine, and we are a blessed state as per the NM rules.

That is the only thing I can see that you did not specifically state.

Fox Tail Bob,

If you prefer to carry openly, then that is your prerogative. I prefer to carry concealed.....I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying a firearm. Each to their own I guess. Now in NM, to have the ability to protect myself and loved ones I have to carry in the open. It doesn't matter if I possess a valid CWP from my home state which until recently was valid in NM.

The whole point of CONCEALED CARRY is so that no one knows if you are armed or not. I wasn't planning on visiting NM any time soon, but the ruling smells like political BS to me.

CS

KK has the right approach. Our governor has a concealed carry permit (you can find a video of her qualifying online). Communication with her could be effective. PF, please bring you guns and compete at EOT. I don't know how this would limit your participation.

It looks like the New Mexico Shooting Sports Association has more work to do in Santa Fe. The wording of the law allowed more latitude than the Office of Public Safety used. Fortunately our governer will sign reasonable changes. We need to get this fixed before she leaves office.

Seems that a law change is needed to make it so that no one individual has the authority to change the regulations on reciprocity. That is too much power to put in the hands of a bureaucrat. I would recommed a panel of 2 State Police officers (one patrolman & one command officer and 3 civilian licensees. With a majority of 4 required to change any regs.

Fox Tail Bob,

If you prefer to carry openly, then that is your prerogative. I prefer to carry concealed.....I don't want anyone to know I'm carrying a firearm. Each to their own I guess. Now in NM, to have the ability to protect myself and loved ones I have to carry in the open. It doesn't matter if I possess a valid CWP from my home state which until recently was valid in NM.

The whole point of CONCEALED CARRY is so that no one knows if you are armed or not. I wasn't planning on visiting NM any time soon, but the ruling smells like political BS to me.

CS

No, no, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not arguing that that there's anything WRONG with carrying concealed, I was just trying to point out that while the law is ridiculous it doesn't completely ban you from carrying a gun in NM. The idea being that the law SHOULD be changed, but that until it is you don't have to leave your guns at home travelling through NM.

It's my personal opinion that anyone who can legally own a firearm should be legally allowed to carry it, concealed OR open.

Missouri going that way. Utah not reconized, many guys in MO were getting Utah CCP because only written test and permit good for 5 years. In Mo now you have to get permit in county where you live and good for 3 years. Qualification by shooting also.

Now, I could get my retired LEO nationwide carry license but

Yep, that HR 218 in Missouri requires to test and shoot every year to qualify which runs around $85 every year + ammo (no reloads). And, you only have a few places that you may qualify and for me would be at least a 4 hour round trip, class time a full 8 hour day which would include shooting time.

Nationwide concealed carry law reciprocity is a great and noble cause but I don't see it happening. There are 50 different sets of rule makers and I don't see the 50 agreeing on something like this.

I live in GA but often travel to my home state of Louisiana and also to Texas as I have family living there. My GA permit is good in AL, MS, LA and in TX. However if I decide to go north to SC my permit is not recognized. Just shows you which way I'll be traveling most of the time.

This is crap. :angry:

Like Big Sage, my spending trips to NM will be very limited now.

Now, I could get my retired LEO nationwide carry license but I decided I wouldn't go that route because the law abiding citizens of this country do not have that ability. So I have a Colorado state license instead. If that's not good enough for NM then so be it. I'm writing a letter too.

Yep, no big money trips to New Mexico now.

Bob, I truly admire your stance on the LEO National Carry License. Shows a great deal of character and reflects very favorably on your upbringin'.

Nationwide concealed carry law reciprocity is a great and noble cause but I don't see it happening. There are 50 different sets of rule makers and I don't see the 50 agreeing on something like this.

KK, 50 don't have to agree. The house and the senate have to agree on a bill and pass them. But we all know that O will veto it unless it's attached to another bill he wants a whole lot more than he hates ccw nationwide reciprocity.

Missouri going that way. Utah not reconized, many guys in MO were getting Utah CCP because only written test and permit good for 5 years. In Mo now you have to get permit in county where you live and good for 3 years. Qualification by shooting also.

Yep, that HR 218 in Missouri requires to test and shoot every year to qualify which runs around $85 every year + ammo (no reloads). And, you only have a few places that you may qualify and for me would be at least a 4 hour round trip, class time a full 8 hour day which would include shooting time.

In Illinois, it's 125 yankee greenbacks and a 3 1/2 hour drive for me round trip and lunch.... 8 hour day likewise....

But it beats not having it...

Plus I am still working to get CCW for everybody...

Important – Please Read

In response to several inquiries, it is important to clarify information relating to the Department of Public Safety’s audit of other states’ concealed carry statutes.

First, it is important to note that the Department of Public Safety has not made final decisions to change reciprocity agreements or recognition of other states, but rather DPS is conducting an audit of those statutes to ensure compliance with New Mexico state law.

The information on this web page differentiates those states that have concealed carry laws that are substantially similar to New Mexico’s law (or more stringent) from those that do not. For those states that have had reciprocity agreements with New Mexico, but do not now have a similar law to ours, NM DPS will contact those states to clarify which permit holders from that state are not allowed to carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico. This will not affect the vast majority of permit holders in states with current reciprocity agreements.

For example, if New Mexico currently has a reciprocity agreement with a particular state that allows individuals under age 21, non-citizens, and/or individuals convicted of violent crimes to obtain a concealed carry permit, then NM DPS will work to adjust the reciprocity agreement to clarify to that state’s permit holders that they can carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico so long as they are a U.S. Citizen, over 21 years of age, and not convicted of disqualifying violent crimes.

Information on this webpage will be updated to include those states that (a) have a current reciprocity agreement that will not need to be adjusted because they have a concealed carry statute that is similar to New Mexico’s (or more stringent), (B) have a current reciprocity agreement that must be adjusted to ensure compliance with New Mexico law, and © have not entered into any reciprocity agreement with the state.

NMDPS has made a lot of progress in the last year concerning NM’s reciprocity with other states. We are aggressively seeking reciprocity with the states who qualify. Since many states amend their concealed carry laws each year, we have started an audit to determine if we are where we need to be in our agreements with other states. We are finding some changes need to be made. Thus, we are in the process of making those changes in order to be in compliance with New Mexico law.

New Mexico statute 29-19-12E requires that in order for a state to be recognized by NM, their provisions have to be “at least as stringent or substantially similar” to New Mexico. NMDPS has generally found six things that make a state substantially different from New Mexico, and therefore would disqualify that state from being recognized:

1. Permits issued locally rather than by the state;

2.No fingerprint-based background check;

3.Permits issued to persons under 21 years of age;

4.Permits issued to resident aliens;

5.No classroom (static) training required;

6.No live-fire (dynamic) training required.

As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012

New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

As an old retired U.S. Army officer who has worked public affairs with the 7th Infantry Division, the office of the Secretary of Defense of Public Afffairs, I followed up on this subject because I'm just plain mad about it and I'm nosy and don't like waiting to find out more information!

Note: Later this evening, 5:30 or later NM time, a story about the CWP law, with video I'm told by the KOB news desk people, will be posted at www.kob.com. This is the NBC affiliate in Santa Fe. They are well aware of the story and have many contacts about it. I talked to the gov's office, the department of public safety and others. They all say they have had a multitude of e-mails and calls. So, keep it going, especially about EOT and other shooting events in NM and the money those events bring in.

This law should be "grandfathered," "waived" or some other change until reciprocity is worked out among the several states or a national reciprocity law is passed. Canby is right. Not only does the governor have a CWP, one article states she shot a perfect score on her test!!

I'll be watching to see of the story does appear.

Major Payne :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Archived