SASS Wire Forum

The Russians Are Coming!

Not quite, amigo! The Nazis and the Soviets kept the terms of the pact and the protocol until Germany's surprise attack and invasion of the Soviet Union on June 22, 1941. Five and a half months before December 7th, 1941, the day that shall live in infamy.

By the way, I just got back from a week in Germany, where I had an evening drinking with some WWII vets from the Russian front. One of them was in the 6th Army, (which was later surrounded and captured by the Russians) but Alec was lucky enough to to have been transferred to Finland before that happened. He was captured late in 1944 and spent the next 3 years ~ yes, until 1948 ~ as a POW in England. There he served as batman to an English officer and lived with the officer's family....the best years of his life, he says, and he still keeps in touch.

The other fellow, Robert, simply managed to survive the Russian front. Very darned lucky.

It was a fantastic evening, and the beer was superb!

eGG

The timeline indicator on my Wayback machine malfunctioned again. :blush:

The year I was in Germany I only met one German who admitted to being on the other front and fighting Americans. He was a pretty cool guy.

I suspect that across The Wall all the East Germans told their Russian occupiers they never got anywhere near the Russian Front. :rolleyes:

Ja, Deutsch bier is gut.

Sounds like you were in Bavaria?

Ran into some former SS types when I was there in 1959.

Come to think on it, I was down near Bad Tolz at the time, Bob.

A damn fine little town! :lol:

Archived