SASS Wire Forum

Non_SASS Question

Jack Houston # 35508

Something to shoot IDPA with is a totally different question than where this thread started. I shoot CPD (45ACP, 1911) in IDPA but SSP (Glock's, Sig's, S&W M&P, etc.) is the most popular division. You have one of the best sources on the planet close by. Randi Rogers (Holy Terror) now works for Comp-Tac in Spring,TX. Give her a call there 281-209-3040.

Bigger holes leak more.

It's not so much the leakage as the internal scrambling that goes on. :lol:

The correct caliber is the most powerful caliber available that a shooter can control within their chosen platform.

Bigger holes leak more.

I always know it's a Monday when I have to agree with Creeker. :FlagAm:

"A hit with a .22 beats a miss with a .44"

I can't speak about the 40 because I have never shot one. The 9 however--I used to have a couple of 9's. I have replaced them all with 1911 45"s. I carry either a full size 1911 or a compact 1911. and yes I carry all the time. If I had to choose between a 9 or nothing it would be the 9. Find what you can shoot well and practice- and practice some more. I hope and pray that you never need your carry gun!!!! j-r

St. Jeffery Cooper opined that in social situations you should shoot the most powerful handgun you can hit reliably with.

I'm a plus-sized male knuckle-dragger, and a moderate amount of recoil isn't a problem. I went with the .40SW 165gr Remington Golden Saber (cop load) after proving to myself on the range that I could deliver the shots. Kali's uber-stupid pro-criminal 10 round magazine clip law reinforced that decision.

However, it's all about your specific situation.

Really the whole idea is to have something to shoot IDPA with.

So your real question was what game gun to get, not what carry gun to get.

So, all that stuff I wrote earlier, all that stuff everyone here wrote about carry guns and ammo, etc. . . forget about it.

Go ask the IDPA crowd what's popular . . . Sheez!

SC

Really the whole idea is to have something to shoot IDPA with.

That was so obvious from the get go! I can't believe everybody got so off subject

Go with a Desert Eagle 50AE

OY!

Wyatt

Depends on the gun. Some small 40's are not very controllable for a follow up shot. Your mileage may vary

Wyatt

I agree with this. I prefer .40 in full sized guns, because .40 is ballistically superior to 9mm. In small carry guns, I prefer 9mm due to the smaller package (in some cases), greater capacity, and less recoil.

Having said that, I'm starting to consider ditching the .40 and going back to 9mm exclusively for my semi-autos. With modern defensive ammo, 9mm isn't that far behind .40 anymore. The greater capacity, less recoil, and consolidating calibers that I reload for is appealing.

Remington:

40 S&W

http://www.remington...e=pistol&cal=14

9mm

http://www.remington...pe=pistol&cal=6

Federal

40 S&W

http://www.federalpr...un_compare.aspx

9mm

http://www.federalpr...un_compare.aspx

Corbon

40 S&W

http://www.shopcorbo...-20/100/Product

9mm (+P loading)

http://www.shopcorbon.com/Self-Defense-JHP/9mm-Luger-Plus-P-90gr-CORBON-Self-Defense-

JHP/SD0990-20/100/Product

Unless your definition of superior is something other than ft lbs of energy.

Creeker, I understand your view here but making the ammo companies as the authority that says that one caliber is superior to another is pointless. They are motivated by sales.... First and foremost. Ne stuff always sells and they can sell iot for more than the old stuff because everybody wants new stuff...

That said. look at something that is very black and white as far as comparison.... CONTROLABILITY... You can fire 10 9MM's at 5 individual targets and place them in the vitals faster than you can fire the same number of rounds of .40 cal. in the same target zones. It's physics and nobody other than a number crunching expert will even dare to suggest that a single handgun shot of any caliber can reliably put down an individual, much less a motivated, pissed off or substance impaired one.

My words come from being there in actual shooting situations with .40 Cal.'s and in my observations, they pose no advantage over a good modern 9MM Plus P round. This experience also includes doing the supervisory after action reports and watch Commander's Summary of said incidents...

In any case, I always recommend a quick double tap if possible and it is much easier to do that with a 9MM than a .40 Cal.

In any case, I always recommend a quick double tap if possible and it is much easier to do that with a 9MM than a .40 Cal.

Sarge, I don't think we are really that far apart.

You are correct it is always about control then power - not the other way around (or we would all carrying 500 S&W wheelguns)

As I teach in my concealed carry classes - carrying a handgun (any handgun) for your defense is already a compromise. If we knew there was going to be trouble, we would not show up with a sissy handgun. But since the nice folks at Wal-Mart get real wide eyed when I walk around with my 870 or 308 M14 slung over my shoulder, we carry handguns.

So every handgun is a compromise - we just have to decide where we are going to compromise.

Do we compromise ammo capacity for more power - do we compromise power for less weight -

do we compromise accuracy for concealment?

There is no debate that the 40 is a more powerful round than the 9mm.

There is also no debate that the 40 is a snappier, harder to control round than the 9mm

The only debate is whether the increase in power warrants the decrease in controllability.

A lot of people in the know (including yourself) - say it is not.

I personally carry a lightweight revolver a fair amount of the time (45 auto the rest of the time).

My scandium revolver is loaded with 357 mag Corbons.

I would never put these in my wifes gun.

For me - the increase in power is worth the increase in recoil (and I am comfortable with my ability to issue follow up shots).

For my wife, the increase in recoil would compromise her ability to place additional rounds quickly - so she has Hydra Shoks in her far heavier revolver.

Like I said earlier - the perfect caliber is the most powerful one that a shooter can control within their chosen platform.

Creeker, our SWAT Team, of which my SIL is part of has almost to a man ceased carrying .45 ACP or .40 S&W and have all had Glock 17's issued to them. Their job is made difficult by it's very nature and they have found that a quick double tap to multiple targets has actually been made possible in a quicker time, thereby minimizing exposure. The recoil recovery is the reason. They have had felons take multiple hits with .45's and reacted no differently than multiple hits from the 9MM Winchester Ranger 124 grain Plus P's that are issued. Plus, they can shoot more, control better and take those needle threading shots better with the 9MM. They have also found that the 9MM loading induces more back force trauma on body armor, contrary to popular legends and has actually better one shot stopping power in cases where only a single round is fired, Departmental wide.

I have been in a number of shootings myself and my observations do not bear out the supremacy of the .45 ACP anymore because of modern bullets that expand as well as Plus P loadings that are the same pressures as the European companies load to... In fact, the 9MM made it's bones on a 124 grain bullet @ 1200 FPS, same as the issue loading only with a bonded HP bullet (very small HP, looks like a dimple. IMHO I would call it a soft point). I am no arm chair commando, Jello Shooter or a ballistics energy chart reciter. I am citing actual shooting experiences that I have been in and witnessed personally.

Reality is that if you are faced with multiple targets, at varying angles away from you, the recovery time of a .40 Cal is going to be a detriment. I have always trained, and trained others for the worst case scenario. Murphy was an optimist. I was saying that 45 years ago before it was popular.

If I had any doubt about the effectiveness of the 9MM, no way would I have even tried to convince him to park his SIG P220 in .45 ACP and carry a Glock 17 in 9MM. My daughter and grandsons ( with another in the oven) would never be put in a position of emotional as well as financial pain by me.. I owe it to them as well as owing it to him. I don't hate my SIL....lol

Archived