SASS Wire Forum

Help - Bulldog Mechanical Safe ...

John Boy

For those that own a Bulldog Mechanical Lock gun safe, what is the pattern of the code to open the safe? Sorry, I don't have the model of the safe but would presume all models have the same combination pattern

Does one turn the dial to the left or right initially - past the first number one or more times then the sequence pattern to the next number and so on?

The brother of my friend Swiss Oscar who passed on has the combination numbers and has tried multiple sequences many times to open 2 Bulldog safes that Swiss Oscar has with total failure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If no one owns a Bulldog, I'll call the company on Monday ... Thanks Kindly

Don't know about Bulldogs but most safes that I have had experience opened with the following sequence.

Turn the dial to the left a couple of turns.

Turn the dial to the right and stop on the first number of the combination the third time it comes up.

Turn the dial to the left and stop on the second number the second time it comus up.

Turn the dial to the right to the third number.

Turn the dial to the left to the opening index, you should hear a click.

Turn the dial to the right till it stops.

Try it

Blackfoot

The Sargent & Greenleaf combinations on my two are similar to what Blackfoot described , but in the opposite directions. They are turned counter-clockwise for a few turns to clear , and stop on the first number. Then turn clockwise past that number and stopping on the second number the third time it appears , then counterclockwise past that number and stopping on third number , then clockwise to the zero and a little past the zero you can feel the tumblers lining up. On mine the dial stops at about 85 ,then the handle will open.

Hope this is some use , and good luck. Rex :D

P.S. My two safes are Liberty brand.

Turn to the LEFT, pass the first number at least 4 times then stop at first number

Turn to the RIGHT and stop at second number the 3rd time you get to it

Turn LEFT and stop at third number the 2nd time you get to it

Turn Right and stop at fourth number, you should feel a stop when you get to the fourth number.

Gentlemen - thanks for the feed back. Tried all the suggestions. The only difference with Razz's post, these 2 safe have only 3 sets of numbers. Tried the Left - Right sequence - no go

I have the serial numbers of the safes now and will be calling BullDog in the morning

Gentlemen - thanks for the feed back. Tried all the suggestions. The only difference with Razz's post, these 2 safe have only 3 sets of numbers. Tried the Left - Right sequence - no go

I have the serial numbers of the safes now and will be calling BullDog in the morning

There should be a "safe cracker" in the area that can do it. BullDog may be able to put you in contact; right after I bought my AmSec about 15 years ago, I had trouble with the combo and they sent a "tech" out to crack it...he was in my house less than 15 minutes and 10 of it was talking (scary)! Good luck!

HW

John Boy... mine works this way... the 4th number is just a opening "detent", at least it is on mine... it is easy to find due to the click.

Snakebite

John Boy... mine works this way... the 4th number is just a opening "detent", at least it is on mine... it is easy to find due to the click.

Snakebite

Snakebite - thanks for the update and the others offering help ...

So, I call the website number for Bulldog Tuff Safes. The man answers, I explain the issue and tells me 'I don't know who makes Bulldog safes!" Anyway, here's the next sequence to try that he said most of the lock companies use:

* Left to 1st number - stop on it

*Right past the 2nd number 2x and stop on it

Left past the 2nd number 1x to 3rd number - stop on it

Right to about 85 to 90, the lock freezes with all the tumblers in place

Then if all fails - Call the Locksmith!

Snakebite - thanks for the update and the others offering help ...

So, I call the website number for Bulldog Tuff Safes. The man answers, I explain the issue and tells me 'I don't know who makes Bulldog safes!" Anyway, here's the next sequence to try that he said most of the lock companies use:

* Left to 1st number - stop on it

*Right past the 2nd number 2x and stop on it

Left past the 2nd number 1x to 3rd number - stop on it

Right to about 85 to 90, the lock freezes with all the tumblers in place

Then if all fails - Call the Locksmith!

Well most lock companies, at least the ones I've used, say left (or right)past the first number twice and then stop on it the third time around , then the opposite way past the next number and stop on it the second time, then the opposite direction to the third number, stopping on it the first time.

Have you tried the numbers in reverse order? Given my ability to forget PIN numbers, combination lock, trigger lock and safe numbers I have them written down but in reverse order in case someone sees the list cunningly hidden in plain sight on my loading bench.

Not familiar with "Bulldog" but what I have dug up indicates that it has a La Gard group 2 lock.

This is a 3 wheel lock with standard opening sequence of:

Left 4 times to number

Right 3 times to number

Left 2 times to number

Right to stop

(Some foreign Asian made locks begin the 3 wheel sequence to the right and not the left so bear this in mind if it is not really a La Gard lock)

For FYI...The first set of turns is used to get all 3 wheels "picked up" and aligned (three wheels, three turns) then the last (fourth) turn rotates them together. Since the start is all about getting the wheel pack aligned and rotating as a unit it can be 4 turns or 400 turns so long as you stop at the correct number then reverse direction only the three (3) turns.

With each change of direction the wheel pack leaves one of the wheels behind at the set number.

If your combination has 4 numbers, the lock may be set up without a "Drawn Bolt" but with a bolt a fixed to the safes handle and the lock just gives the bolt a pass point.

In this case, run the combination as you have it to the 4th number then rotate the door handle. (I have a light rifle safe that works this way and has one of the crappy Asian locks in it)

A.W. - So long as we don't share numbers, the sequence is really not a breech of security but you got your mind right considering that.

Archived