SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Revolver Cylinder pins getting stuck

Come On Christmas

On the Cattleman or the Hombre cylinder pins are held in place by a set screw and not a definite click in point like Rugers or Berretas for instance.

Once the wonderful Gunsmith at Alpine Range in Fort Worth got the pin out of my Cattleman I noticed that the back of the pin was mushroomed. He said, Huh and went and honed it perfectly round for me. I am thinking of leaving 1/32" short clearance at the back of the gun so the curve in the hammer will not wack the pin. Hard to describe, but I hope you understand.

The other thing I am a doing now is taking pins out before I leave the range so they won't bind from not being cleaned right away.

Shameless

You only have a set screw if you have a blackpowder frame. If you have the plunger on the side of the frame and the two notches in the base pin, grind off the pin so it sits flush in the hammer channel when the base pin is pushed all the way in. If the back of the pin was mushroomed that indicates the hammer has been hitting it.

+1. Some grind it shorter so it eliminates the safety feature. Sounds like you had the safety on one to many times and the hammer mushroomed it. I'd just grind the end shorter or order a new pin

I'm a Frontier Cartridge class shooter since I've been in SASS. My revolvers were done by LH and have polished base pins.

The next thing you should try even if you shoot smokeless after the base pins are polished is to coat the pins with Mobil One Synthetic grease. It just requires a complete coating and then wiping of the excess.

I have shot 7 straight stages and my cylinder pins come out with ease. Try it and see.

The coating of grease at the front of the pin keeps out the hot gases and burnt powder that causes the cylinder bind and sticking base pins. Take Care Fairshake

I've got 2 Hombre's and never had a problem with the pin. I just keep the pin oiled up and it comes right out.

The two position base pin was done by the Italian makers to pass BATF import drop tests to be legally imported. The base pin safety servs no useful purpose once the consumer has the gun. Take the last 3/16 inch off the end of the pin and dress the pin. The end you cit should be just flus with the back of te frame or just a tiddly bit shorter. I also suggest polishing the pin ad keeping it well lubed. Mobile One synthetic grease is an excellent lube for both Smokeless (especially with Trailboss) and BP.

Coffinmaker

Archived