SASS Wire Forum

SLICK AS SNOT PRIMER FILLER REVIEW

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK... I think that I sent all who requested a PM or email. If I missed you please email to king@kingofthemountain.com

Since this is a review only it may be helpful to know some of the less than favorable PM's and emails that I've recieved:

Thanks for the reply, but since my Midway rattler, less than $30, still works fine, I'll figure you for another flash in the pan. Malpais Mike

I'm going to pass, I cannot justify that much gold. I hate primer tubes, I just don't see the value in it at this date. I had set a price in my head of $150 for what I saw in the video. At a retail of $250 compared to the Dillon which contains cast parts along with explosion poof covers, the Dillon has some engineering behind for $315. Good luck, maybe at a future date I may be more interested. Thanks for the reply. Bullwhip Karl

Thanks for the reply. I was having a hard time justifying it direct from Italy at $217 and that with shipping. At $219 I just can't. Let me know if the price comes down.

Brian Hansen

I sold my Dillon. It's an extremely well built unit. I'm sure that you'll be very happy with all of their products. They do a great job of standing behind whatever they make.

Your pricing is just about exactly what I think these would sell at best. But, right now the CNC aluminum handle is cut one at a time and made in Italy, which is pretty famous for extreme quality. This along with the tight tolerances on the table, which is important to the function of flipping primers with as small a movement as possible and yet allow them to travel easily into the tube are the pricing issues. Once production is all worked out and it's made cheaper (molded plastic/ sourced in China or MEX or SriLanka). Pricing is also affected by the exchange rate (dollar /Euro= 135/100). That's why I offered these first ones with practically no profit.

My goal was to get these in the hands of guys who load thousands of rounds (some that many in a single month). This way we get to have a truly random review in the hands of experts of a very high quality tool. So far as you can see in the initial posts to this review, the results have been excellent.

People have been helpful to point out that the old Franklin/Midway rattler/loader was priced at $35-50. According to the website it's been discontinued. I don't know why. Years ago I had one. It worked for a while. If you find anyone knows what happened please chime in. Let's face it, you can buy a socket wrench for $1 or $100.

As someone who looks at a SnapOn tool truck the way kids used to look at ice cream trucks in the summer; I would always rather have the better tool. Sometimes, of course, bigger ain't better, but quality is easily recognised and to me at least niggling over less than the cost of lunch for 2 at Chili's isn't worth the effort vs. a tool that can save hours and hours of frustration, time and looks like it will last for years.

It's interesting to me that the paradox of wanting something cheap and then complaining about Asian junk is not lost on the crammed full parking lots at WalMart.

Thanks for all your input in this review.

I am glad mine will be at Texas State waiting for me.Thanks Mr.King

It's dang hard not to be impressed by someone that can pick-fill a primer tube in 30 seconds! YOU DA MAN! ;)

I will bring my tubes flip tray and stop watch to the GA State Match to confirm this.

I will bring my tubes flip tray and stop watch to the GA State Match to confirm this.

DDD! I want the video! It sounds like a SASS sidematch. We could have a reality show- "SPEED PRIMER PICKING"- sounds like a natural for those who can't buckle any other way. A whole new category is born.

Heck, we might be able to retire with the profits from short-stroking a flip tray. B):D

I know I'll never even place. Whenever I try to hurry with primer pickin' all I end up with is half a tray of primers on the floor and 1 or 2 upside down in the tube. Fella oughta wear blast glasses just to start my vacuum cleaner. :ph34r:

Once again, and in favor of the review process, Garrison Joe reports as one of the Beta Testors:

I do find that it is really sensitive to exactly the correct angle of tilt, or the primer hangs right as it is ready to drop down the hole into the tube. The leading edge of the primer starts to drop down the hole, but the back edge, towards the "chute", remains stuck on the edge up at the level of the primer tray. This means I'm spending about a minute trying to get all the primers out the chute and down the hole into the tube.

Here is a direct response along with a video (the video is shot independently in the US IN ENGLISH!

To solve the first problem arisen by Garrison Joe, primers must be placed on the right side of the PalFiller before starting the operation of refilling.

Then, you can switch it on and gently and slowly you can let primers slip on the left, into the hole.

Please, have a look at this video:

This is NOT the right way, but as you can see it takes less than 7-8 seconds by the video timer!

Nice review...provides good information about the product. I'm looking forward to receiving mine.

Since BB is looking for reviews I'll add a couple of comments. The video was great. On the primer tube wearing the hole potential issue mentioned in the video here is what I have found. The hole is .310. The new Dillon primer tubes (the ones with the blue ends that have the retainer clip in them) are also nominally .310. The old tubes (the ones with the retainer hole drilled in the metal tube instead of the blue plastic tip) are .312. These are tubes I purchased in the 1980s. Even with the new style tubes some are a bit snug. So, I just took some abrasive strips and polished the ends until they are a slip fit. Now I just hold the tube with my left hand and hold the unit with my right hand and turn it on. The primers go in quick and then I can gently remove the tube and put it in an old beer mug (to keep the filled tubes upright so the primers don't fall out). Do as many tubes as you want and then you are ready to reload. The only other minor issue I have noticed is that the Federal Primer box is to big for the primer tray so you have to be very careful if you are trying to hold the primers over the tray and remove the box cover. One thing I have thought about is that you could simply stick a tight fitting tube into the unit and leave it in place. Fill the tube and then hold the entire unit with the tube still in it over the primer tube on the press and then just refill every 100 rounds. That way without pulling the tube in and out there won't be any wear on the primer tray. (If that actually turns out to be a problem.) I ususally load several primer tubes at a time, so polishing the ends for an easy slip fit is the solution I am using.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee241/pettifogger1/P1040929.jpg

Yep, I noted in this latest video clip that the time to tube-load the large primers (which is what I was testing), was 38 seconds.

The small primers tube-loaded in 12 seconds (using the timing numbers on the video playback utility). If I can make a slight adjustment to the tray to get the large primers to load close to the same speed as the small, without having to wire in a slow-down rheostat, I'll report back.

Concerning eventual wear on the primer tray caused by inserting and removing tubes, that could be solved by fitting an o-ring or two into the tray, and letting the o-rings take the wear rather than the plastic.

Overall, yep, I think this dingus has some real promise.

Good luck, GJ

For a better use, primers must be placed on the right side of the PalFiller before starting the operation of refilling.

Then, you can switch it on and gently and slowly you can let primers slip on the left, into the hole.

The handler must be used very slowly, like the cloche of an helicopter.

I will try do do a new clearer and exhaustive video asap, to help new users

at the beginning. (please give me a few days, since I am leaving for a

business trip to Rome and I will be back at the end of the week only).

Umberto

King,I just got mine in the mail. Awesome product. No more bribing my wife to fill primer tubes for me.Can't say enough good about the over all quality of the product.ThanksCowboy Carty

Yep, I noted in this latest video clip that the time to tube-load the large primers (which is what I was testing), was 38 seconds.

The small primers tube-loaded in 12 seconds (using the timing numbers on the video playback utility). If I can make a slight adjustment to the tray to get the large primers to load close to the same speed as the small, without having to wire in a slow-down rheostat, I'll report back.

By doing some careful reaming/deburring to the large primer tray's discharge hole, and keeping exactly the right angle on the dangle when tube loading, I've gotten large primer filling down to about 45 seconds. It helps to keep sharply tapping the tray from the back, towards the discharge hole, at least on my unit.

I'm pressing on with it, maybe a little more tinkering is in store.

Good luck, GJ

ok , brother king showed me this at the texas state championship and ............i just had to have it. it is named correctly! i saw this thing work and it was slick and simple. it really looks to be very well made. he is sending me one out shortly and i do belive it's going to be a great addition to my reloading equipment. dusty boddems

howdy brother

would like more info

i have 2 of the rf100 one for large and one for the small

thanks and happy trails

sundance mcneyman

By doing some careful reaming/deburring to the large primer tray's discharge hole, and keeping exactly the right angle on the dangle when tube loading, I've gotten large primer filling down to about 45 seconds. It helps to keep sharply tapping the tray from the back, towards the discharge hole, at least on my unit.

I'm pressing on with it, maybe a little more tinkering is in store.

Good luck, GJ

load 100 large primers in about 20 seconds

Umberto

This weekend at the TX State shoot I had the one unit that I saved for demo and must have loaded somewhere near 100 tubes in demonstration. It's still running on the same AA battery that I first installed.

Small primers run in about 8-12 seconds. Large primers run in about 18- 25 seconds. There is a slight learning curve as the operator gets accustomed to the perfect balance. Finally, rather than demo the tool, I put it in the hands of new users who flawlessly loaded a full tube every time.

I have never, not once had an upside down primer nor have I had to take the tool apart for any reason- not even to open the cover for a problem primer.

Thanks to all who requested information. If I missed you please send me an email to king@kingofthemountain.com

Archived