SASS Wire Forum

Ham Radio's

Looking to buy a ham radio of some kind but don't know beans about um. :wacko:

Wana git one fer when the economy collapses and have to rely on reports via two-way radio.

Also sos I kin let folks know when somebody is ON MY LAWN... :angry:

3 Good names are Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood. Each has their fans like Chevy and Ford. A great high end unit and the only one made in the states is Tenn Tech.

KG4PIR

3 Good names are Yaesu, Icom, and Kenwood. Each has their fans like Chevy and Ford. A great high end unit and the only one made in the states is Tenn Tech.

KG4PIR

Yep, those are the big three. I've had mostly Icoms, and liked them, had a Kenwood or two that have served well also.

Best bet is to find a local ham club and you'll find the help you need and most likely leads on good used gear.

Grizz

W0MOX

Yep, those are the big three. I've had mostly Icoms, and liked them, had a Kenwood or two that have served well also.

Best bet is to find a local ham club and you'll find the help you need and most likely leads on good used gear.

Grizz

W0MOX

+1 on finding a local club, it is the same as Cowboy Action Shooting, some good advice will save you a ton of time and Money!

Hey Grizz you kind of strike me as an Icom guy!

73's

KG4PIR

"Ham radio of some kind"?

It's easier to give suggestions if we know the type of radio you're looking for.

The handheld (HT), mobile (12v in vehicle) or large indoor base station?

HT's (around $90 new) are handy, but have small antennas and only 5 watts output.

You can use a mobile (around $130 to $400 new) in you house or car, wherever you have 12 volts and put out up to 75 watts transmitting out.

The base radios have the highest output (usually 100 watts) and cost $600 - UP and most use 110 volt power.

BUT - You should go ahead and get your Ham license, only $14 and 35 question test (with all study questions online). You'll get valuable practice and learn how to best use your new radio. Volunteering with local ARES/RACES Ham clubs will teach you tons about how to communicate in emergencies.

Best on luck.

KD7YOE

Lots a great info here, thans all.

I intend to get my license but if and when the s**t hits the fan nobody's guna care much about a license.

Carlos Murphy

I intend to get my license but if and when the s**t hits the fan nobody's guna care much about a license.

Carlos Murphy

Just make sure you learn enough to not interfere with real emergency traffic,

It could cost someone's life :blush:

Just make sure you learn enough to not interfere with real emergency traffic,

It could cost someone's life :blush:

Rodger-dodger, 10-4, over and out... :blush:

Carlos Murphy

Carlos,

You might want to wander to this web site and check out the quick links. Amateur Radio Relay League you won't be sorry.

Kenwood 520S

Runs on 120 vac or 12 vac and with tubes stand a better chance of surviving an EMP

KIlo Bravo 9 Charlie Whiskey Union calling CQ

I am going to date myself here.... My first Amateur Radio was a Heath Kit....

Thought about getting my ticket , years ago , I could not get past a mental block on the code :wacko:

and I could not see going for a no code TECH lic .

Sure do not miss the 27 mhz mess much

CB

Bill brings up a good point, does the basic license still involve performing Morse Code at a minimum level? Don't you also need a license to purchase a radio? I was in an electronic shop years ago and the owner refused to sell a radio to a person trying to buy it for a relative as a present.

BSD

Bill brings up a good point, does the basic license still involve performing Morse Code at a minimum level? Don't you also need a license to purchase a radio? I was in an electronic shop years ago and the owner refused to sell a radio to a person trying to buy it for a relative as a present.

BSD

You do not need a license to buy one. MT

BSD

There are licenses available without code, and all the code requirements on the upper licenses the words per minute have been significantly lowered

I am going to date myself here.... My first Amateur Radio was a Heath Kit....

Ayup. I got my first ticket in Jr High school, we had a fairly active radio club back then. My dad was a ham so that spurred me on. First rig was a heathkit transmitter, home brew power supply and a little drake receiver if I recall correctly. Like most in the club, I found other interests and let the license lapse.

Years later as an adult I picked it back up, and worked my way up to Extra in a year or so. My dad suggested that if I wanted to go for my extra I should strictly do code until I got there. It took lots of time on air to get my code up to 20 WPM, but that was always my favorite mode. After my dad died I put in for, and got his call sign that I still have today.

As best I can remember, here are the call signs I've held...

WN0JGV

KB0CXK

N0JSA

W0MOX

I keep telling myself I'm going to get a station up and running again, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe after we move, if that ever happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenwood 520S

Runs on 120 vac or 12 vac and with tubes stand a better chance of surviving an EMP

KIlo Bravo 9 Charlie Whiskey Union calling CQ

Speaking of a EMP, I am looking at a Heathkit SB 101 tube radio on E-bay or maybe a Heathkit HW 101.

Carlos

Archived