SASS Wire Forum

73 O.A.L.

Yusta B.

What's the consensus on OAL FOR 38 SP in a Uberti .357 '73 ?

Does nose shape make a difference ? RNFP vs TC

Gracias

What's the consensus on OAL FOR 38 SP in a Uberti .357 '73 ?

Gracias

Howdy,

About 1.50 same length for either bullet type.

KK

You can feed mine any thing from 1.408 to 1.508 TC or RNFP.Texas Peacemaker brought his Renagade over and we feed it all the differant rounds and it ran them all really good.I load most of my load to 1.505 because my 92s like that also,TC or RNFP.

I'd have to measure, but I use 130 gr RNFP bullets made by Lone Tree Bullet in Wyoming and crimp in the crimp groove, from memory it comes to about 1.451 or so. Feeds well in my Jimmy Spurs Marlin and my Codymatic 73

Folks , if you shoot a '73 or a "66 just look at the OAL for the basic cartridges they were designed to shoot.

The 44WCF (44-40) the 38 WCF (38-40) and for the '73 the 32WCF (32-20) OAL was 1.500"+or -.

If you load diferently, the action will act diffeently.

Duh.....>

Read the history, learn, then load...

Ol' #4

The OAL of the original ammo was 1.592". Once you start going below 1.500, OAL gets more and more critical. You can go here and see some photos on how the ammo affects cycling.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5274.0

The 1860, the 66 and the 73 all have a built in ammo OAL gage. Open the action, turn the gun over and lay a round in the window where the carrier rides. If it doesn't fit, it's too long. It should be about 1/16 but not more than 1/8th inch short of not fitting tight. This length works best because the 73, 66, and 60 does not have a mag cartridge stop. The front edge of the loading gate, there just behind the carrier, is the only stop. While the carrier is in the up position it's the stop. The carrier has to bring a round up to chamber while preventing the next round in the mag from coming on to the carrier. If the ammo is too short the carrier has to push the next round back into the tube as it comes up. Make your ammo long enough so that it's a shearing action as the carrier comes up.

The OAL of the original ammo was 1.592". Once you start going below 1.500, OAL gets more and more critical. You can go here and see some photos on how the ammo affects cycling.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5274.0

Excellent article, thanks for the link! :)

As has been stated very well by Nate, if you use the "built in guage", you will get the best results. Yep... if things are clean and smooth, you can get away with pushing the rounds back into the magazine with every shot, but that don't make it right, and due to Physics, it does ad to the energy required to overcome the magazine spring every time the action is cycled.

Most any bullet that is seated out to give the proper OAL will work. I designed my bullet to give me both OAL and seating depth that I wanted. the seating depth is less important if you are shooting Smokeless powder.. I want my rifle bullet to sit on top of the BP load, AND still give me the proper OAL. (+ PLENTY of BP lube)

Snakebite

A comment on nose shape, since that has not been covered much.

TC bullets give you a longer nose section than does the RNFP at the same bullet weight. So, folks that have a difficult time getting to a long-enough OAL at a specific bullet weight ought to consider using a TC design. It will guide into the chamber even better, and it allows getting the longer OAL so you can make a toggle link rifle feed best.

All this means that about the lightest weight TC bullet that will run slick in a 73 is usually about a 140 grainer, but a 125 will usually be "good enough", and you may start having troubles during the part of the lever cycle where you are doing "cartridge return to magazine tube" for bullets even lighter (shorter). Each gun and each shooter will have a different tolerance for what it handles "smoothly enough".

And the Marlins and 92s are a totally different story.

Good luck, GJ

I'll add one more thing, since both Nate and Joe have already pointed out (to me, at least) the critical issues.

I run a 125 gn TC bullet in both my '66 (which I bought from Nate) and my daughter's '73. Joe's comments about that bullet being "good enough" are true enough. Realize that if you decide to run a 125 gn TC bullet at 1.50" or longer, then you will not be crimping it in the crimp groove of the bullet. In my reloading experiences with this round, getting a good crimp is critical. You are literally crimping into the side of the lead bullet -- which isn't really a big deal, but failing to get a good, firm crimp can have or lead to other problems.

First, you can have bullets which get pushed down into the cartridge while under the pressure of the mag tube spring. This would lead to jams (in the best scenario). Second, a poor crimp will lead to greater fouling (in my experience anyway) because of less total combustion of the powder. After so many rounds, fouling may lead to issues chambering/jams.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die. There are some who love it, some who think it's not necessary, and I won't try to change anyone's opinion on that. Suffice it to say, if you load 'em longer (not crimping in the crimp groove), then you need to get a good firm crimp into the side of the bullet in order to avoid other issues which may arise.

I get the 125 to run fine for our purposes, so that's what I've stuck with. It also allows us to shoot the same round in the pistol as the rifle. But, I've had to experiment with various powders and perfecting a good crimp to make it work to a level I'm satisfied with. YMMV.

Chick

To add to what Chick said,

I have shot plenty of .38 Spec. brass with 125 TC bullets at about 1.44" crimped in the crimp groove (I prefer to crimp in the groove) with no significant trouble in my 73 other than the carbon ring in the chamber and more abuse to the carrier ramp than with longer .357 mag's. Since my rifle is notably smoother,carrier is abused less using .357 cartridges at 1.58, and I don't have to deal with the chamber carbon ring, I am in the process of switching over to .357 mag brass for the rifle and eventually the revolvers.

Another reasonable option is the longer Moulten Lead 147 gr. TC bullet that increases the cartridge length in .38 Spc to that of a .357 mag, of course there'll still be a carbon ring left in it's wake......which isn't the end of the world to me....just another cleaning step for each chamber....13 of them.

Archived