SASS Wire Forum

A New Use for Oil Filters

Question......if you use a used auto filter would that provide higher muzzle velocity due to the "pre-lubed" barrel :)

Also....if you use a used auto filter would it be SASS legal as black powder since there would be PLENTY of smoke!!

Something that, to me, would make that more "I need that", would be to do a side-by-side comparison with the same gun, un-suppressed. I was watching one the other day, and he was shooting a Garand, and about half his shots were the same loudness of those in this video. Gunshots are hard to hear on film.

So, while that sounded real quiet in the video, it would be more impressive if, instead of just saying, "This is a P22 - pop pop pop", they had said "this is a P22 with and and another P22 without the econocan. pop pop pop POW POW POW"

So, while that sounded real quiet in the video, it would be more impressive if, instead of just saying, "This is a P22 - pop pop pop", they had said "this is a P22 with and and another P22 without the econocan. pop pop pop POW POW POW"

The ideal comparison would be to use a decibel meter to actually measure the sound level instead of relying on something as subjective as one's hearing.

You can buy them for under $30, and there's even an app for the iPhone that works too.

It is a pretty clever idea. No doubt there's some garage tinkerer out there right now trying to clone it.

All you'd need would be a pipe nipple, a filler plug, and an appropriate tap.

Muzzle threads ... http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?PN=1&TID=8891

Disclaimer: The above is for informational purposes only. Neither the author nor anyone else here is condoning the manufacture of this device.

It's kind of unique idea. The main problem I see with it is you can't see the sites. The oil filter is way bigger than a regular suppressor. I also can't see paying the $200 ATF tax stamp for a metal oil filter adaptor.

There is a strong aroma of illegal surrounding that whole episode.

Really??? I thought it smells more like used motor oil.

(whisper, whisper, whisper)

Hummm...

(whisper, whisper, whisper)

hmmm, no oil you say

(mumble, mumble, mumble)

new ones only huh. I guess used filters would be a bit messy.

In a press release, a spokesman from Purolator suggests changing your oil filter every 3,000 bullets or 3 months....whichever comes first. Spokesmen for Fram refused to comment.

There is a strong aroma of illegal surrounding that whole episode.

That’s kinda what I thought.

Years ago, in SOF magazine, there was an article about putting a 2-liter coke bottle on the end of your gun and using it as a silencer. Said that it worked, for a while. The more you shot the more the bottom of the bottle was destroyed, and the louder it got.

And the larger the caliber, the sooner it was destroyed. But they said that for a 22 or a 380 it was real good, for a few shots.

Then someone came out with a muzzle bushing for a 1911, that had threads on the end of it, so you could screw a bottle on. With a 45 you might get two or three shots before the bottom was gone, but with a 22 conversion kit it should work pretty good.

Then ATF, those spoilsports, stepped up and said that, since anything you used to silence (or attempt to silence) a gun was a “silencer”, that coke bottle was a silencer. You would have to pay a 200 dollar tax on it, or risk being arrested for being in possession of an unregistered silencer.

Paying a 200 dollar tax on a 1 cent bottle, and then after firing ten rounds, needing another 1cent bottle, which would require another 200 dollar tax, seemed kinda dumb, so the coke-bottle silencer went away.

Point is, the muzzle bushing was not the silencer, with the 200 dollar tax. The bottle was.

Seem like, in this case, it would be the same thing. That attaching the adapter to your gun does not quiet it in any way, so IT would not be the silencer. Screwing the oil filter on is what quiets it, so it seems like the filter would be the silencer, needing a 200 dollar tax on each one you use.

Now, they say in that video that it’s approved, and that the adapter is the papered part. I suppose ATF could have changed the rules. They seem to do that all the time anyhow

But still. Seems like it’s kinda illegal to me, also.

Archived