SASS Wire Forum

30-30 Winchester mod-94

Dungannon Gunner

Any reccomendations for mid to long range fold up sights for my Mod 94 Winchester. Cowboy long range so most yardage at maybe 200

I need brand name and suggested mod-style number.

Thanks pards

• Rear sights must either be open iron sights mounted on the barrel or original style tang or

stock wrist mounted peep sights. Long range rear barrel mounted sights of the flip-up

ladder type may use a peephole drilled through the sliding sight leaf. An example of this is

the various ladder type sights used on the Springfield trapdoors.

Gunner, your have 4 options and if you choose a tang mounted one it will have to be tapped for the sight:

* Barrel mounted Smith

* Barrel mounted Buffington - used on trapdoors - tapped holes needed

* Tang mounted Marbles or Lyman

* Tang mounted vernier

My choice would be the Smith for $200 ... http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=164010&CAT=4077

My preference is for the Lyman #2, p/n: 3902094. The rifle will, as John Boy sez, have to be drilled and tapped for the front mounting hole. (This is for the older model Winchester 94s and 1894s without the tang safety). They work well with both factory front sights, and with Lyman's Mdl 17A globe front sight... as well as several other types.

If you have a tang safety model... try the Marbles p/n: 991035.

While some feel the Marbles with its windage adjustable feature to be preferable... if the front mounting hole is drilled and tapped corrctly... there's plenty of adjustment in the front sight. But, that's just my opinion! :blush:

Well,

Just about all the lever guns I have either have a Lyman or a Marbles. Both work fine.

Also you can get by WITHOUT DRILLING the front hole. The curvature of the tang keeps it in place. Done it from 22 to 45-70. Yea I have drilled two and it is a pain in the arsh and I have a drill press.

If you do get one I would suggest the Marble with the slotted front hole. It does make it esier to drill and tap. Gives a littl wiggle room. That is what I put on my 73. It is hard to get jiged up in the press because nothing is square and is hard to clamp. Do not try doing it with a hand drill.

Wyandot

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/1334595375.jpg

94 with a Marbles

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/1334595377.jpg

95 with a Marbles

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk67/wyandotjim/1334595378-1.jpg

My Winchester 1894 26 inch barrel was made in 1905 and is already drilled and tapped with the front screw being a blind screw.

I use a Lyman 1A sight. It has a fold down feature. It also has a peep sight fold down that can be used for target and hunting.

The smaller one is for targets, and when folded down leaves a larger ring for hunting. I like it better than the Lyman #2.

It also has a locking device on it when upright. http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr204/rantingmadhare/Aman_Park040.jpg

Big Jake

Howdy,

I had a marbles sight fall apart on my marlin.

I called them and sent the parts I had to marbles and had

a fully repaired sight back in eleven days.

And they included a tiny tiny allen wrench to tighten that little screw.

No charge excpt fer shippin to marbles.

And no dang answer machine, a real live nice lady answered the phone.

Consider marbles.

Best

CR

Just some errata information:

The Model 94 can be used for NRA Lever Action Silhouette matches. I put a Williams sight on mine because the receiver screws affix the sight with a Swiss Diopter globed front sight. I've found the Williams to be adjustable past 200yds and the sights combination provides a nice POA picture. And yes, the Williams sight is not SASS legal

For SASS 'long range' (chuckle) ;) lever matches out to 200yds I just use the Rossi M92 (45 Colt) with a Marbles peep

My preference is for the Lyman #2, p/n: 3902094. The rifle will, as John Boy sez, have to be drilled and tapped for the front mounting hole. (This is for the older model Winchester 94s and 1894s without the tang safety). They work well with both factory front sights, and with Lyman's Mdl 17A globe front sight... as well as several other types.

If you have a tang safety model... try the Marbles p/n: 991035.

While some feel the Marbles with its windage adjustable feature to be preferable... if the front mounting hole is drilled and tapped corrctly... there's plenty of adjustment in the front sight. But, that's just my opinion! :blush:

Is the 17A front sight legal for SASS events

If you are going to set up a gun for the CAS long range or even the NRA silhouette game use an aperature type sight as close to your eye as possible and as far fron the front sight as possible.

A good aperature type rear with a hooded front like the 17a setup is capable of better accuracy than most guns are capable of.

Here is a really neat piece from famed gunner Col. Townsen Wheelen about this.

Why choose a peep sight for Rifles?

Col.Townsend Whelen

All military battle rifles and many "Dangerous Game Guns" have been fitted with peep sights for at least the last 70 years. There is a good reason for this. They are the fastest and most accurate iron sight you can put on your rifle.

(This 375 H+H has been used on Cape Buffalo, Lions, Elephants and other dangerous game in Zimbabwe for over 50 years.Note the aperture rear sight. It never fogs, breaks, loosens, or goes out of adjustment.)

Here is some information on sighting errors as put forth by no less than, Col.Townsend Whelen, in his book on reloading, "Why Not Load Your Own," published in 1949 when the use of telescopic sights was a rarity. With normal eyesight, either naturally or corrected by glasses, he found that the following list applied at a distance of 100 yards:

Open Rear Sight: Accuracy is unpredictable due to lighting conditions (shoots away from side lighting, and high for overhead mid-day conditions).

Aperture Rear, Gold or Ivory front: 1.5 -2"

Aperture Rear, Black Post front: 1"

Aperture Rear, Aperture front: 1/2 to 3/4"

2-1/2x Scope: 1/4-1/2"

6x Scope: 1/8" to 1/4"

10x Scope: 1/16" to 1/8"

20x Scope: Practically None.

As you can see from the information above, the ability to sight using a aperture sight exceeds the accuracy of most rifles.

Archived