SASS Wire Forum

Master Gunsmiths...

Apache Hawk 60642

dat can not keep his/her promises and hems and haws about when parts where ordered and such ? :unsure:

The "master" gunsmith, and I use the term very loosely, said he could fix my Henry Yellowboy..(Looked it up Shoe...) as the loaded lever was bent by a family member who was a bit over zealous in his cleaning of it.

Three months and eight days later, it has not been touched it yet ! ! ! :angry: :angry:

At a anttquie gun dealer I was talking with the other day told me to go see his friend, "Dennis." and to ask him what he could do.

So, Today, I took him my rifle...he looked at it and told me he could fix it and have it back to me tomarrow....maybe a couple days if his has to make parts for it. ;)

I told him about this "master" gunsmith I took it to and he laughed saiding that for a few dollars and some printing paper I too, who konws just nuff about gunsmithimg to git myself into real trouble, could be a "master" gunsmither too !

He is 71 years old, been working on guns since his 20's and has a full metal shop and gun repair shop in his home !

So, my question is....Did any other pards have this same problem as I, having to deal with a "master" gunsmith ? :unsure:

AH

I luckley have a REAL Master smith to get me out of trouble , just a phone call and a couple of bags of fish with a bit of folding money away .

There is a differance in a Smith and a parts changer , I have been lucky to have been taken under the supervision of a TRUE MASTER Gunsmith .

If it was not for EL , I would not be able to fix stuff for folks

Thinking I need to go fishing and get him some more fish :lol:

CB

AH

I luckley have a REAL Master smith to get me out of trouble , just a phone call and a couple of bags of fish with a bit of folding money away .

There is a differance in a Smith and a parts changer , I have been lucky to have been taken under the supervision of a TRUE MASTER Gunsmith .

If it was not for EL , I would not be able to fix stuff for folks

Thinking I need to go fishing and get him some more fish :lol:

CB

Oh I agree whole heartedly ! There is a differance between parts changer and a smith. My new gunsmith can make a cap & ball oistol from drawing to finshed pistol, ready to test fire. Most smiths can't do that.

I used to work with one. His favorite tools were a Dremel and a buffing wheel.

I saw him damage or destroy more guns than you can imagine. I also saw a man threaten to kill him...in front of a half dozen witnesses...for wrecking a brand new Sig while trying to install tritium sights on it.

Guest EL NEGRO GATO #8178

Howdy I have I had a blown up colt single action, the frame was reweilded and had a 3 1/2 barrel and would shoot blanks. Well at a NCOWS convention this dealer had several guns on display and showed me examples of his work, so he looked at my gun and said He could straighten out the frame and reblue it for $400,I thought that was fair I gave $200 up front and a $100 in a month and balance when completion. Then he got a movie contract to be the amourer. Two years later I called to find out whats up. His wife said he was on the set I told her either I get my gun back and my money I'm going to contact the ATF and say my gun was stolen. The gun and deposit came three days later. I won't do any business with a master smith unless I know him, know his work or see what my friends have to say

ENG :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Great news.........He had the parts, which was the lever and a pin, on hand and doesn't do judt SASS guns. The "master gunsmith" did also, but not ever much.

This new smith made my parts right there, installed them and test fired it to make sure they worked. Picked it up on Sat. afternoon.

Now, I gave him my dragoons to fix. Next is my mule ear twice shoot gun ! ;)

Hawk, sounds to me like you break your guns a lot! :D

Note to self, don't lend my guns to Hawk. :D

Aw, who am I kidding, if'n he's in need and I'm around, I'm bound to let him use mine.

Archived