SASS Wire Forum

Frustrated with reloading .44-40

Sixgun Symphony #62632

I have found usually the only time I crush a case if I am going a bit to fast and do not have the bullet set in the case straight....... I have also been using the Lee factory crimp die.All the cases do get lubed before reloading whether they are new or already fired.Yes I too will very slowly remove primers from damaged cases.

Sgt H :FlagAm:

I use the Redding 3 die set for 44-40's.Also use Hornady one shot case lube but only for the 1st step.Resize/deprime and reprime.After that I run all the primed cases in the tumbler to get rid of it.You don't need it beyond the 1st step.Started doing that when I noticed the seat and crimp die was building up lead and lube.Haven't had a problem with it since.If the case isn't belled enough it's very easy to crush the case.Also make sure it's all the way under the die like Driftwood said and that the bulet is going in straight.I too have deprimed quite a few of different calibers and reused the primers and powder.I asked Dillon about a carbide die set for the 44-40.They told me there is one (forget who makes it),but it's for commercial reloading and runs around $3000.A tad spendy for my use.

Archived