SASS Wire Forum

To counter Okie's Excellent Gallic Adventure

Utah Bob #35998

Tonight I prepared American beef Flatiron steak with a Southwest rub, baked Idaho taters, peas, cheese stuffed Colorado mushrooms and opened a bottle of fine California Syrah.

So there.

E Pluribus Unum. :lol:

...and we weren't invited over????? <_<

Alas, all the invites got lost in the mail. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah? Oh yeah? Well we went to the Mekong last night. :blink: There is a large population of Vietnamese in France. Le Mekong is well thought of by locals, so we needed a break from the rich sauces and foie gras. Man it was good. Maybe not as good as what you had though...

Years ago back east some wealthy friends of ours invited us to "Dine" with them. Took us to a very fancy restaurant. They recommended something called "Steak ala Grec". They discussed the proper wine with the wine guy and settoed on St. EmIllion 1967, which evidently was a vintage (Expensive) year. It was pretty good. ( "Steak ala Grec" is served on fire. Not good for a full bearded guy.) After dinner we were on our way hjome ans stopped at a 7-11 for gas. There was an ice cooler full of wine in the aisle. Mostly Boone's Farm hippie stuff, but I bought a bottle of St. Emillion 1967 for $1.33. It was pretty good too. I susp3ect "Vintage wine" is in the eye of the beholder.

The O'Meara Himself

Years ago back east some wealthy friends of ours invited us to "Dine" with them. Took us to a very fancy restaurant. They recommended something called "Steak ala Grec". They discussed the proper wine with the wine guy and settoed on St. EmIllion 1967, which evidently was a vintage (Expensive) year. It was pretty good. ( "Steak ala Grec" is served on fire. Not good for a full bearded guy.) After dinner we were on our way hjome ans stopped at a 7-11 for gas. There was an ice cooler full of wine in the aisle. Mostly Boone's Farm hippie stuff, but I bought a bottle of St. Emillion 1967 for $1.33. It was pretty good too. I susp3ect "Vintage wine" is in the eye of the beholder.

The O'Meara Himself

The quality of All wine is in the eye (or palate) of the beholder.

If it's $100 a bottle and you don't like it, then it's not a good wine.

Some cheap wines are great, some expensive ones are not.

It's all about knowing what you like when ordering wine.

And restaurants jack the price up a lot. Some unknowing folks order the expensive wine on the menu figuring it'll be the best. Then they won't admit it's crap because they paid do much. :lol:

...whut UB said, stick with what you like...

...seems to go for about anything... <_<

The O'Meara Himself

The vintage year in a region has a lot to do with wine expense in France, as does the classification. 1967 was not a great year. I believe Decanter rated it 3 out of 5 stars. They had rain at the wrong time in St. Emilion. Chateau Petrus was the only true exception to the vintage, but they are outrageously expensive, good years or bad.

There is a cute postcard in two parts. The first frame has a guy standing in a wine shop tasting a wine, making a face, saying, "This is horrible." The wine shop owner says, "Wine Spectator gave it a 90 rating!" In the next frame the guy says, "Give me a case." :rolleyes: People are afraid to trust their own palate. Screw the wine snobs. Drink what you like. We have been having some wonderful rose wines here for 8 Euros a bottle. :)

The vintage year in a region has a lot to do with wine expense in France, as does the classification. 1967 was not a great year. I believe Decanter rated it 3 out of 5 stars. They had rain at the wrong time in St. Emilion. Chateau Petrus was the only true exception to the vintage, but they are outrageously expensive, good years or bad.

There is a cute postcard in two parts. The first frame has a guy standing in a wine shop tasting a wine, making a face, saying, "This is horrible." The wine shop owner says, "Wine Spectator gave it a 90 rating!" In the next frame the guy says, "Give me a case." :rolleyes: People are afraid to trust their own palate. Screw the wine snobs. Drink what you like. We have been having some wonderful rose wines here for 8 Euros a bottle. :)

...where are the pics????

Archived