SASS Wire Forum

Your siginificant other

Noah Cash

Mike Lasater and me barely escaped with our lives when we almost got hung fer thinkin’ about robbing the bank in Falfurrias Texas. ... I’ll let South Platte tell you the story some time.

Anyways, we hooked up with a Wagon Master named Duke who was trailing mad bovines (Angry Angus strain) with Chavez ridin’ Shotgun and a cowboy who’d Holler whenever he was Hungry. That was a tough trail, even the Prairie Dawgs was vicious. Why we actually encountered off-paw wolves – Lefty Lobos we called ‘em. A preacher’s daughter named Ivory Kay was the only one could keep ‘em straight, she was a mean one one she was. She beat ‘em when they was bad and she beat when they was good, said that ways they wouldn’t forget what was gonna happen to ‘em if they was bad!

Anyways we ended up in New Orleans where we got detoured at an establishment owned by a gunslinger named Crossdraw and run by Mrs Kitty-Blake. Of course this was before the Shootem brothers (Woody & Dewey) shot her husband dead an’ she went back to her maiden name and run off to Dodge City. This was a long long time ago, back when the Kid from Cripple Creek still wore white. The old Oriental was quite a place back in that day. Grafton Guns and Bronco Billy would shoot ‘em full of holes and fill ‘em full of lead, and they even had a Doc named Yako who worked full time at the place. I once seen him tip the bottle and work on an hombre got his leg shot off by Kid Kcid. Took a piece of Old angle Iron and made that feller a new Hip. He had a purty nurse named Red Bud but she run off with some feller who come in for a bad back but the doc was drunk and gave him a tonsillectomy instead. Mongo wasn’t none too pleased with the good doc’s work and I hear he stayed Mad about it the rest of his life.

Anyways, after samplin’ some of the local refreshments and then getting a couple drinks I decided to enter a game of chance. My old pard Swiss had warned me about the faro dealer from Ohio they called Cheating Charlie, so I sat down at a poker table run by Cash Munny. I knew I wasn’t gettin’ no wheres with the doves ‘cause Rye Miles was on the piano and no one could break in when Old Dan Cotton was swingin’ the ladies around. I seen many a Loquatious cowboy end up a Loner when those two was at it, but a newcomer to the place hadn’t figured that out yet and he was eying up some Luscious gal named Liza. Turns out he had the loot from a bank holdup in those Old Saddlebags of his and them two was never seen again.

Anyways, at the table with me was some cowpuncher with a Bad Finger named Bodene, Curtice Clay (he’s the drifter who found placer gold along a Creek Bottom owned by Kate), Hershey Barr (he had a brunette saloon girl on this lap), Marcus Allen (he had a redhead on this lap), and a four-flusher from New York City. I didn’t think much of NYC but he had some blonde eye-candy on his arm I sure did fancy. Eventually everybody folded but me and NYC, and we put everything on the table for the final call; I put up my horse and guns (setting aside a rifle scabbard made for me by Leatherman) and NYC put up his carpetbag and the blonde. We call. He puts down 4 pairs and I have a royal flush. He calls me cheat and a horse thief. I say I’m not. He says I voted for Hillary. I say I did not. Did too. Did not. Did too. Did not. Did too.

I stand up with my hands on my pistols and shout, “Are you callin’ OD Cleaver a liar?”

Everybody jumps behind the bar and under the tables - even the brunette and redhead run out back to hide in potato sacks. NYC draws, shoots, and misses. My percussion revolver misfires. The blonde pulls a Colt’s Dragoon from her brassiere. Now me and NYC are jumpin’ under tables. The blonde grabs the gold and runs out back to hide in a potato sack too. I think to myself, “She’s rich, she’s blonde, and she can hide a Colt’s Dragoon in her brassiere!” I run out front, grab some horses, and ride around back. I kick the first sack which goes ‘meow’ - must be a cat. I kick the second sack which goes ‘woof’ - must be a dog. I kick the last sack which goes ‘potatoes’ – ah hah! - I just found the blonde! I grab her, sack and all, and tie her across my saddle to get out of state before the Regulators catch us.

That’s how RJ Poteet, Lasater, Mule Canby, Buford Coker, Amos Calendar, and Jim Lloyd rode into the history books while Chickabitty Jo and Pistolero Paul witnessed a bushy bearded old judge called Dad and his Mrs. tie the knot with me and Miss Hope.

finis

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catherine and I met (you ready for this?)...

an internet chat room. It was mutual interest "at first word" :rolleyes: , and I have been the happiest man in the world for the last 15 years.

Rye, Prarie Dawg, South Platte and any other shooters from Firelands or Stony Bottom - I need ideas on how to fix OD. First it was snakes (a rubber one then a live one last year) then Flying Penguins now this. Ideas at the next shoot please!

Rye, Prarie Dawg, South Platte and any other shooters from Firelands or Stony Bottom - I need ideas on how to fix OD. First it was snakes (a rubber one then a live one last year) then Flying Penguins now this. Ideas at the next shoot please!

Well, old O.D., he's somethin' else. I remember the time he jumped out the window of a hotel down in Texas, and come back in the same window a few minutes later. Some people have told me that's no big deal. But his room was on the second floor... I've sometimes wondered how he came upon ownin' that Colts Dragoon. I guess now I know. Now me, I wouldn't mess with a gunfighter style lady. Blonde or otherwise. But O.D. , well you never can tell about him. But I have heard it said that he tries to avoid the wrath of Miss Hope. Sounds like he's gonna be doing alot of avoidin' for a spell.

Flying Penguins? I've not heard that story.

South Platte :FlagAm:

Miss Hope, a couple ideas.....before ya'll go to a shoot, make sure his powder is wet, his nipples are loose and his balls are dry. That outta fix him! LOL

Rye

BTW, that was great story, that boy has potential for a 'riting career!

Well, that was very, very O.D.

And I believe every bit of it!

Miss Hope:

I doubt that there is much you can do to help old O.D.

His is a progressive disease that comes from inhaling black powder smoke!

It happens to all us sootlords sooner or later.

And there is a genetic component.

O.D. must have inherited it from his grandfather who was a well-known 19th century sootlord.

By the way........The Tusco 3-day is the first Saturday in October.

No scheduling a duck hunting trip that weekend.

Come have fun with us!

--Dawg

My best friend's brother came into the bike shop late one night while I was working on my DMR flat tracker and covered in grease. He had his girlfriend with him - I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, and somehow she liked what she saw as well! That was 40 years ago, just had our 38th anniversary and yesterday our third grandchild.

CR

Was going home to Nebraska on leave for 10 days. Got delayed at Kansas City airport. My friend's fiancee came to pick him up and her little (17 years old)sister was with her. That was 30 June, 1977. Had a date with her on July 4th, 1977, proposed to her on 1 October, 1977 and married her on 16 November 1977. Been married awhile now. She still looks 17 to me.

Shakey

Match.com

I posted some Cowboy Pictures with other "real life" pictures to round out the profile.

I said "This Cowboy Life is what I do and I do it a LOT!! If guns scare you in any way then I am not the guy for you!"

The rest is history......DIABLO DEB is SASS #94313......she Loves CAS!!!.....and is getting better each match!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=306301139443378&set=a.276766402396852.65010.100001904837175&type=3&theater

OD Cleaver here - AND DON'T I HAVE A FINE PACK OF PARDS GIVING THE LADY IDEAS!!!

South Platte, I sent Miss Hope a fake video on April 1 reference the discovery of a new species of penguins that could fly & told her a special would air that night on Nat'l Geographic channel at 8PM. At 755 she had her tea poured, chores done, and was sitting by the TV ... waiting & watching. Next Wednesday shoot at Firelands several of the lines went the way of "Dont shoot no Flying Penguins!" etc so forth. I dont know how Rye Miles heard of it but he did. Its a mystery to me. I'm not sleeping in the doghouse yet, but I dont shut more than one eye at a time either.

As to the story, 99% of it is true, I misstated only one part: When I kicked the 3rd sack she didn't really say 'potato.'

She said 'TOMATO.'

I met my wife through a friend. I put off asking her out for a while. When I finally did, as they say, that was all she wrote. :wub: Eight months later we were married. That was nearly ten years ago. No regrets, never looked back! :D

South Platte :FlagAm:

My best friend's brother came into the bike shop late one night while I was working on my DMR flat tracker and covered in grease. He had his girlfriend with him - I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen, and somehow she liked what she saw as well! That was 40 years ago, just had our 38th anniversary and yesterday our third grandchild.

CR

How long after you were married did Patty have her cataracts removed?

She and I attended the same high school back in the early 80's. A week before our senior prom she pushed me up against the wall in the hallway and asked me who I was taking to the prom. I replied no one that I was not going that year. She said yes I was that I was taking her. That was 1982, married in 1986, divorced in 1996, remarried to each other in 2001. Lived together while divorced, can't figure out if one of is a sucker for punishment or we just belong together lol.

Met the woman that became Sierra Sue thru a dating/interest group called "Horse Lovers Connection" before the internet became popular 22 years ago while in the Navy stationed in San Diego.

It's been a fun journey since then!

Regards

JW

I met mine at church when I was 13. We were friends for a long time, then started dating when I was 19.

We have been married for 23 years, she is my best friend!

Lady Fingers & I reported in to the 5th Medical Battalion at Ft Polk, LA in July of 1976. I was a new WO1 Maintenance Technician coming from an FA battalion in Giessen, Germany and she was an E5 Medic coming from Wurzburg Hospital. The Battalion Sergeant Major played cupid and had us attend an AUSA fish fry that weekend. Afterwards, I thought she didn't like me and she thought I didn't like her. Found out a couple months later we were both wrong & we've been together ever since. Married 35 years this month.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

We were set up by mutual friends at horse show. We knew each other by name and that was all we knew. That was Memorial weekend, married in September.Did I mention drinking was involved? 37 years this year.

Met wife on a Friday @ the Autry Museum of Western Heritage and proposed the following Monday.......... going on 16 years.

That musta been a Hell of of a weekend. Just sayin'

Big Jake

I was 3, she was 5... at an "Old Steam and Gas Show" - antique tractors and equipment...

17 years later, at another antique tractor show, they were having a square dance. I went to hear the band. They needed a fourth couple for a set, and her mom made her ask me...

Later that night, after we parted ways, she told her mom that she was gonna marry the guy she'd been dancing with!

This August, it will be 26 years for Shafty and I, and I wouldn't change a thing if I could!!!

I truly married my best friend!

Johnny

We met in Alamagordo, in the Space Museum at the age of 12 years!!!!

I was up on the balcony and he was coming in. Both of us involved in the IOOF lodges!

What's funny is he was my 1st kiss...and will be my last!!! :)

(his dad had to pull us out from behind a curtain)

We dated off and on untill he left for bootcamp and I left for college.

Low and behold...we were re-united by his uncle 18 years later. Each with 3 kids...each seemed to marry the same person in a different body!!! :)

We appreciate each other soooooo much better now!!!

Married 13 years this month!

Some friends were having a Holloween party while I was stationed in England. As I remember, there were a few single ladies there. Of course, I don't remember much. Smokin' Limey remembers more. Something about me holding up the counter passing out the booze. LOL. A few weeks later, the same group went to a barn dance and told her I would be there. She showed up, late as I was to learn to always expect. We had a good time and planned to go out a few weeks later. When I got home, I had a message that I was going TDY then. I called her and got her address. We wrote letters back and forth for the next 4 months. We also talked every Sunday. We had moral calls in which I used to call her. I came home and drove to her place and never really been apart since. Outside TDY's, for the past 18 years we have never been apart. We have been married 17 years this past March. No regrets at all.

Archived