SASS Wire Forum

Your siginificant other

Noah Cash

Not to encroach on a couple of other threads currently running, but they got me to thinking... (oh-no) How did ya'll meet your wife / husband, girl friend, boy friend? I bet there is some real neet stories out there that some will enjoy sharing and others reading. I'll start it off.....

I met my wife on a blind date, set up by another couple over a C.B. Radio as a double date. She was still in high school and was the 4th or 5th gal that the other couple tried to set me up with, with all other prospects declining. She had never been on any dates before, and was shocked when her Mom said "ok". The only advise her mom gave her was to tell me that "just because this is a blind date that dosen't mean that you can feel your way around" :lol: if that became necessary. It didn't. We dated for 2 years, and then she graduated High School on a Thursday, June 5th and we got married in a big (to us) church wedding 2 days later, June 7th. :wub: We have been together for 36 years now and life is good. She is known as Hilda Billie in these here circles.

OK, who is next

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw her at a ballgame and was inntrigued. She came back a couple of nights later, and went to a party after the game. Her and her friends were sitting at a booth in the diner. I walked up and said, "Can I play too?" 42 years later, we're still playin'. :lol:

Read at your own risk

My wife and I were in a theatre production of 'Cabaret' in L.A. I was Cliff and she was one of the Kit Kat Girls. She thought I was kinda nerdy. Anyway, she was (and is) so beautiful there was no way that she would ever be my gal. Still, after the rehearsals and shows we all went out to the bars and karaoke joints and had alot of fun. After the production was over we didn't see each other for about 9 months. Then I get a phone call from a director asking if I would be interested in playing the part of Randy McMurphy in 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'after saying "of course" he said they were going to ask Lynette Deveraux if she would play Candy Star and asked if I was good with that. I said "who's Lynette Deveraux?" He then said "I beleive she was one of the caberet dancers"....I then about fell out of my chair. Rehearsals went well and of course we had our make-out scene. We worked on it and it was going well. One night after the rehearsal at the karaoke joint she walks over to me and says "am I doing ok? is there anything I am doing wrong...do you need more from me?". I said "no no - your doing great"......well a week passed and it was time to work on the scene again. The director asked most of the people in the audience to leave and he began to work with us on the scene. He kept saying 'more....more....MORE..JUMP HIS BONES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD" amongst other things :huh: . Lynette really laid it on me!! After he said 'CUT...EXCELLENT' I jumped up (wearing only hospital pants and commando) and lo and behold I had a ...uh...pup tent :blush: and said "Is this what you want!!!" We both were laughing so hard!...and really felt comfortable with each other. On the last week of the show a few of us went to a little bar called The Stag in Costa Mesa (Newport & 19th St. - torn down now). I sang with a gentleman named Louis Martino (a class act piano player). Lynette just sat at the edge of the bar looking at me. Around midnight as I was leaving she said "Have you ever left this bar with a woman before?" I said "No" - she the grabbed my hand and said 'You going to tonight' -:wub: - a year later we were married in the theatre we met in by the director that introduced us - he got licensed so he could perform the ceremony.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

We met in a saloon called the Saddle Rock Tavern, owned by a couple of my friends.

She came from Colorado visting with a friend of hers (the sister of the owner/beer-tender).

Mustang Gregg

Met my wife at a church softball game, she was mad at her then boyfriend and wanted to make him jealous so her and her girlfriend starting talking to me..turned out she lived two blocks from me, I went to visit that evening, we dated for a while and broke up, she had left her jacket in my car and when I went to return it, well, we're still together 39 yrs later.

cheyenne :lol:

I almost ran her over on my bicycle. I had the hots for her best friend who turned out to be a ..... Well, let's say that God works in mysterious ways and we have been together since 1970 and married since 1973.

After-school Bible study!!:o

She was 16 :wub:

I was 17

That was .... uh ... nigh on 38 year ago.

Waimea (amazed she stuck it out with me)

:FlagAm:

she had left her jacket in my car and when I went to return it, well, we're still together 39 yrs later.

The old "Leaving-an-article-in-the-car-so-he'll-have-to-call-back" trick.

:lol:

Waimea

:FlagAm:

I went to Hooters for lunch, not uncommon since my office is 200 feet from the front door of Hooters.

The waitress came to the table and began with the standard chit chat. When she brought me my ticket at the end of the meal she handed me a card with her phone number on it and told me to call. It has been just as good as a relationship could be ever since. Of course that was yesterday and I didn't call. :D

I met my Wife at the Calgary Stampede ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, There were sure lot's of Fireworks on that night ....

I ivited her out for coffee ,,,, she came bringing her younger sister and brother ,,,, She invited me to church the next sunday to hear her play the Piano ....

Got married 1 1/2 years later .....

Jabez Cowboy

High school driver's ed. classroom, sophomore year. Too busy with football & basketball to notice most of the girls. The teacher insisted that students relate stories from their families that applied to what ever we were studying...like being with your dad when he got a speeding ticket, etc. Anyway, EVERY DAY this chick had a different story to tell about her family doing something that related to the lesson, sometimes two or three, so, coming from a small family, I couldn't help but notice that each story was usually about a different family member. Intrigued, I had to approach her about this, talking continued, and after three years, everything clicked on our senior European history class trip to Chicago, or actually, the train ride back to Rock Island singing(?) and playing trivia! First actual date was the senior class play, then on to the prom. I proposed during our second year of college, got married one week after we graduated in 1968 - 44 years this August.

After we started dating, I found out the truth about the classroom stories...her family was HUGE compared to mine, and every story had been true! 9 total in her house, nearly 30 aunts & uncles, etc. We had been dating at least two years before I finally met the last of them!

CS

Guest mcshagnasty,sass#452

one day 40 some years ago I just opened my billfold and there she was...

best thing that ever happened to me.

She picked me up in a bar!!

And I ain't jokin'!!

But it was actually a restaurant. :rolleyes:

Blind date.

I cashed my paychecks at Sears in the evenings after work, and the cashier was a cute coed. I asked her for a date and learned she was engaged when she turned me down. She could tell I was desperate and offered to set up a blind date with one of her friends. I agreed.

My blind date and I were engaged 6 weeks later, married after she graduated from college the following summer. Going on 42 years this June.

I went to Hooters for lunch, not uncommon since my office is 200 feet from the front door of Hooters.

The waitress came to the table and began with the standard chit chat. When she brought me my ticket at the end of the meal she handed me a card with her phone number on it and told me to call. It has been just as good as a relationship could be ever since. Of course that was yesterday and I didn't call. :D

I actually met my wife at Hooters. Some of my friends and I went there to watch the Falcons playoff game (the year that they went to the Superbowl, '98?). We got there right when it opened and stayed for two playoff games before getting kicked out for making too much noise (I didn't think that you could do that at Hooters :rolleyes: ). Her shift was ending, so she agreed to take me somewhere else before we caused a scene. We've been together ever since...

I was a sales rep for a local TV station. The girl that did local news quit, so head office asked me to try to find a replacement. She came for an interview, didn't like what the job was but turns out she liked me well enough!

We've been married 23 years.

Frenchy

I was a Deputy Sheriff at the time, having a cup of coffee at Walgreens counter, wasting time before I had to go on duty. There were several gals in a booth, one I had dated and they invited me over. One gal was outstanding in looks, long hair, and business suit on. I sat next to her, and after a few minutes we just concentrated on each other in conversation. I put my cuffs on her and told her to come with me. Outside, I told her until she promised me a date, I wouldn't take the cuffs off. She said yes, then when I took the cuffs off, she gave me a peck on the cheek, smiled and went back inside.

I always tell those that knew me, and saw me with her, I had picked her up for soliciting. She still here's that story today, whenever someone asks how we met. 6 months later, we were married. MT

I still have the picture of our first date and introducing her to mom.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z72/marshaltroop/ff.jpg

One week before leaving for Vietnam, I and another Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton went to visit my Family in San Jose. They asked what I wanted to do for the weekend. I said to go to Yosemite National Park. 10 people and 3 cars loaded up and off we went.

While in the Park camping, we went out into the "Meadow" between camp 12 and 14 late afternoon and met a group of people from SoCal that were sitting in a big circle (about 30 of them) drinking wine and smoking something. We sat down next to 3 girls without any guys and started talking to them. We told them we went to University of Science, Music, Culture (USMC) and that's why we had the short haircuts.

Airline strike happened that weekend (Late May,'70) so they said they would drive us back to SoCal. I spent time getting to know LouAnn and Jerry liked Nancy and Gary like Lillian. I saw LouAnn 2-3 more times during that last week before going to Vietnam. She moved from Anaheim to San Jose and lived in my house with my Parents while I was gone. On R&R from Vietnam, I went to Hawaii for a week. She met me there, saw Woodstock movie twice and went to a Led Zepplin concert and saw MASH movie too. Good times for sure.

Back to Vietnam for a few more months and got a 10 day leave to the States. 10 days of Fun and back to Vietnam. When I came home in 1971, we decided to get married after my 30 day leave and reporting back to Camp Pendleton. Lake Tahoe was the choice and 10 people and 3 cars, off we went. 5-1-71 was the day we got hitched by Reverend Love in the Chapel of Love 41 years ago in 11 more days.

Big Jake

P.S. I almost forgot....Jerry married Nancy and Gary married Lillian. What a weekend in Yosemite.

My fourth assignment in the Air Force found me stationed back at Lackland Air Force Base (near San Antonio, TX), where I was assigned to Wilford Hall Hospital for Phase II Medical Laboratory Technician training. My wife-to-be was the receptionist for the lab. Being an attractive young thing, her desk was usually 3-4 deep with horny young airmen trying to wrangle a date. I figured I had to come up with something "unique" to get her attention, so - when I finally got a chance to talk to her - I asked her if she'd like to take a day trip down to Mexico.

That got her attention and we started dating (this was February 1967) until I completed my training and was transferred to Edwards AFB in California. Once there, I started spending about half my meager Air Force salary feeding the pay phone in the barracks making long distance call back to San Antonio. Eventually, I wrangled an assignment as an instructor in the Medical Services School at Sheppard AFB in Wichita Falls, TX, in the fall of 1968. That allowed me to take a road trip to San Antonio about every other weekend until we were married in March 1969. I finally lived up to my opening line, because we spent our honeymoon in Monterrey, Mexico.

That makes 43 years, but it seems like 43 minutes... under water! :o Just kidding! (It's a line I picked up from a neighbor several years ago and it still cracks me up.)

Regards, TJH

I was out of the Air Force and she was just out of 1st year college. She was driving a brand new 1967 Camaro, Royal Plum with black vynal roof and white interior, 350 engine, four speed, oh sorry, back to how I met my wife!! Her car caught my eye first and she kinda liked my 63 chev convertible. Then we both attended a friends wedding and afterwards I drove her home about a two hour trip. I drove real slow so I could talk with her. Normally the trip took about a little over an hour. Then I figured out I liked spending time with her. So today, 45 years later, I still kinda like spending time with her and she is still driving a 1967 Camaro, except this one is a convertible.

Physical Therapy, I Just got out of the Army and was getting some work done on my worse knee, she had just had surgery on her knee, and was in a knee bending machine. I tell everyone that the 1st, time i met her she was flat on her back with her legs in the air!

Rafe

Hi Folks,

My parents had a cabin at Bass Lake. When I turned 19, I started staying in the cabin summers and working up there. I met Hubby when I was 21.

I was standing out behind the old Pines at Bass Lake (this was before they built a hotel there) just smoking a cigarette :rolleyes: and gazing at how pretty the lake was, when a weirdo came up and started talking to me. I decided I needed to get out of there. We walked around to the front of the building where a bunch of guys were at a picnic table arm wrestling, talking, and joking around. Hubby was one of them. After the wierdo got distracted by them I took off for home.

That year, I worked until 11:00 p.m. in the Pines Cafe and would go in the bar behind the cafe after work to cash out my tips. One night one of those guys (Hubby) came in bought a 6 pack of beer and left. The bartender brought me a drink and told me the guy who just left bought it. Next time I saw him, we talked. I was dating one of the locals at the time. Nothing too serious for me. Hubby was persistent. I decided he was "the one."

My parents didn't like Hubby. IIRC, they only liked one guy I dated... They finally grew to like Hubby. He's a very handy guy, can build or repair just about anything, which my dad respected. Our 40th anniversary was last December.

Wow! Where does the time go. :unsure:

Regards,

Allie Mo

PS Gambler, I drove a '65 Mustang at the time. It was the first car I bought with my own money.

Stay away from "Online Dating sites" !!!! Nuff said <_<

Hey Jack,

We, on the Wire, know someone well who is happily married to someone he met on Match.com. He rarely posts here anymore. Last time I talked to him, he said he's very happy!

Also, my neice is very happily married to a man she met online. They have two adorable boys.

Regards,

Allie Mo

We met in a chat room on AOL in 97

She lived in Dallas and I lived in Louisville KY

long distance relationship for a year

We each flew five times that first year to see each other

Our phone bills were out of this world!!

I was transferred to Evansville IN and she moved here and got an apt.

Two years later we were married and just celebrated our tenth anniversary last Aug

Ironic thing is my first wife left me because she met someone on the internet and decided she wanted an open marriage.

I didnt

She left

I arrested my wife's best friend for fighting with a drunk guy. They were at a bar that the friend's boyfriend was a bouncer at and some guy bowed up to him. Her friend then smashed a bottle over the drunk guys head worried he would hit her boyfriend, then all he!! broke loose. The fight went out into the parking lot where I was doing a routine drive through and the next thing you know I was involved. I saw my future wife there and was in love. I actually got to be friends with the girl I arrested (who turned out to be a bartender there) she would come out and talk to me and I asked about the girl she was with that night. Turns out they were roommates and she got us together. We made a date that first meeting got engaged one year later and were married 2 years to the day from our first date. The arrestee was our maid of honor. We've been married 13 years now!

JEL

She was looking for a new Farrier. Her friend told her about me and that I was single also. She made an appointment.

But her friends took her to get her hair and nails done before I came over and the ladys in the salon told her about me also.

I showed up and took care of her horses and we ended up going out that weekend. We have been together from that day on.

That was one lucky day for me.

High School. '65

Married her in '68.

Archived