SASS Wire Forum

when a shipped item is lost

Trigger Mike

I bought something over the internet for less than 100. The item was shipped but never received. Who eats the cost for replacement of the item? Do we share it, i.e. if he says he will ship another one and insure it, should I send him more money to defray the cost? The item was advertised to be 50. shipped.

I believe the shipper has the responsibility. But I would contact the courier first to ensure that it was shipped and what may have happened to it before I send more money. However if it is from someone you know you can trust you might ask if you can split the cost on shipping a replacement. I've had that happen to me before.

Was it insured? How did you pay? Paypal and some credits cards protect the buyer from loss or items not being as described. A claim will be impossible if it was not insured. Even if it was, United Package Smashers is hard to deal with, it took me 6 weeks and hours on the phone to get a damage claim paid. Unless you know the seller, I would hesitate to send more money, particularly if you're not sure it was ever shipped in the first place.

Was it insured? How did you pay? Paypal and some credits cards protect the buyer from loss or items not being as described. A claim will be impossible if it was not insured. Even if it was, United Package Smashers is hard to deal with, it took me 6 weeks and hours on the phone to get a damage claim paid. Unless you know the seller, I would hesitate to send more money, particularly if you're not sure it was ever shipped in the first place.

I piad by money order, he shipped it usps. Don't know the seller but another item bought by someone else got there fine around the same time

Back in November, I shipped some 30-30 brass to another SASS member via USPS Priority Flat Rate that never arrived. After the both of us giving the USPS more then enough time, I mailed him a check for what he paid me. As a seller I view it as my responsbility.

Back in November, I shipped some 30-30 brass to another SASS member via USPS Priority Flat Rate that never arrived. After the both of us giving the USPS more then enough time, I mailed him a check for what he paid me. As a seller I view it as my responsbility.

Key word there. I purchased some parts from a well known SASS vendor some time ago. He shippied it and I never received it. I called and he immediately shipped a replacement at his expense. About a month later the original shows up in my mail box. I sent it back to him, my expense. It is called doing business on a hand shake. In our infinite wisdom, our society does not do that so much any any longer. My Daddy taught me to be honest in my dealings. I believe that is a good idea.

I have unfortunatly come to the conclusion that some internet sellers do not actually ship the items.

They claim to ship. But don't. When you complain suddenly it is found not have been shipped. yet.

I have seen this a couple of times.

You would certainly be within your rights to ask for a copy of the shipping receipt. About a year ago I bought some stuff on our local cowboy wire and sent a money order. About a month later the seller contacted me asking when I was going to pay. Sent a copy of the money order receipt and shipping receipt. He discovered I had in fact paid. I do a good bit of stuff on eBay, I always hold onto shipping receipts until the item has been received.

I wouldn't care whether it was really shipped or not. Wouldn't care HOW it was shipped, if it was.

All I would care about was, "I ain't got my stuff yet. Send me my stuff and do it right now, or send me my money back. ALL my money back - both purchase price AND shipping".

I paid for it. I need to get it. I don't need excuses. I don't need to know your problems. If you shipped it and UPS/FedEx/USPS lost it, you need to take that up with UPS/FedEx/USPS. I don't care. But you need to either send me what I paid for (which means that if there is another one, like I'm buying new from a dealer, then put that in a box and ship it to me) or return to me ALL of my money. Anything else, in my opinion, is fraud.

The shipper lost it, so you are either out the price of the replacement shipment, or you have to fight with the shipper over getting reimbursed? Not My Problem. That's one of the joys of selling stuff.

Archived