SASS Wire Forum

Free speech a felony? WOW!

Clay Mosby

BOHICA...

This will be overturned by the SCOTUS....

ZIP your Lip. Say things that they don't like could send you to Jail. Who are these guys? Why do people not see this on the nightly news?

Big Jake

When I first heard about this bill a while ago, I was waiting for the firestorm of outrage. It never came. This bill gives the Secret Service the auithority to ban protests in the vicinity of any protectee or face felony charges. Looks like Obama now has his SA.

Who introduced this bill in the first place?

Could this have been passed in anticipation of things to come that ain't gonna be popular with the majority of the American people? :unsure:

I also wonder why the news media wasn't all over this..After all, this is the sort of thing that could eventually be extended to supression of freedom of the press..But this is the first I've heard about any of it.

I looked at the voting and I saw a man I know personally had cast a Yea vote in support of this measure.

I am certain that this result was not the intent.

Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 [sic] - Amends the federal criminal code to revise the prohibition against entering restricted federal buildings or grounds to impose criminal penalties on anyone who knowingly enters any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority. Defines "restricted buildings or grounds" as a posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area of: (1) the White House or its grounds or the Vice President's official residence or its grounds, (2) a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting, or (3) a building or grounds so restricted due to a special event of national significance.

The law that I copied and pasted above talks about "anyone who knowingly enters any restricted building or grounds". There is verbage about SS protection and temporary visitation. I do not see the lawful protest felony there and I doulbt that many of those voting did either.

I looked at the voting and I saw a man I know personally had cast a Yea vote in support of this measure.

I am certain that this result was not the intent.

Federal Restricted Buildings and Grounds Improvement Act of 2011 [sic] - Amends the federal criminal code to revise the prohibition against entering restricted federal buildings or grounds to impose criminal penalties on anyone who knowingly enters any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority. Defines "restricted buildings or grounds" as a posted, cordoned off, or otherwise restricted area of: (1) the White House or its grounds or the Vice President's official residence or its grounds, (2) a building or grounds where the President or other person protected by the Secret Service is or will be temporarily visiting, or (3) a building or grounds so restricted due to a special event of national significance.

The law that I copied and pasted above talks about "anyone who knowingly enters any restricted building or grounds". There is verbage about SS protection and temporary visitation. I do not see the lawful protest felony there and I doulbt that many of those voting did either.

Thank you for doing the reaearch on this for us. It is refreshing to see that someone actually checks to verify the truth of a published or broadcast statement. I am greatly relieved to see that upon checikng the FACTS our government is NOT quashing our freedom of speech and that the drivel put outby Fox News is all a lie.

Thank you for doing the reaearch on this for us. It is refreshing to see that someone actually checks to verify the truth of a published or broadcast statement. I am greatly relieved to see that upon checikng the FACTS our government is NOT quashing our freedom of speech and that the drivel put outby Fox News is all a lie.

:rolleyes: typical liberal mantra ....:lol:

what lie?

http://www.gpo.gov/f...112hr347enr.pdf

leaves much to be interpreted...don't it ...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Once again I think we were all suckered in with the title of this thread.

When I read the actual bill, it does not appear to have an actual freedom of speech issue.

Rather it has to do with disorderly conduct while near a protected moron.

What concerned me was the way the judge explained it, the SS has broad powers of interpretation as to what could be considered "Disruptive" behaviour.

Anyway, as noted in the title, it was for information only :rolleyes:

Who introduced this bill in the first place?

Could this have been passed in anticipation of things to come that ain't gonna be popular with the majority of the American people? :unsure:

I also wonder why the news media wasn't all over this..After all, this is the sort of thing that could eventually be extended to supression of freedom of the press..But this is the first I've heard about any of it.

The bill was introduced and sponsored by Republicans. It was written by a Republican, HR 347 Sponsor Tom Rooney R-16 FL. It passed the house with only 3 dissenting votes. The news media is not "all over this" because it is NOT what you are interpreting and depicting it as. It is a very simple "NO TRESPASS" law.

Once again I think we were all suckered in with the title of this thread.

When I read the actual bill, it does not appear to have an actual freedom of speech issue.

Rather it has to do with disorderly conduct while near a protected moron.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr347enr/pdf/BILLS-112hr347enr.pdf

Quite right you re sir! Just read the law, then who are you going to believe, Fox News or your lieing eyes?

What concerned me was the way the judge explained it, the SS has broad powers of interpretation as to what could be considered "Disruptive" behaviour.

Anyway, as noted in the title, it was for information only :rolleyes:

What about when the SS engages in disruptive behavior? Do they arrest themselves? :rolleyes:

Archived