SASS Wire Forum

Discovery flies to her final nest.

Discovery flies to her final nest.

I remember as a kid watching Enterprise take flight over Edwards, and Columbia lifting off the first time. In college we cried together when Challenger broke apart. There was an other-worldly awe as Hubble was launched and then shuttles mated with the International Space Station. Space flight became almost routine until I had to explain to my own children what happened to Columbia. Then Atlantis came home for the last time.

To Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour, and the crews who took you where no man has gone before... You helped us all to slip the surly bonds of Earth. :FlagAm: Thank you for your service to humanity.

Off-topic I know, but what I find fascinating is the T-38 chase plane shown in the video. A mid-1950's design, production ran from 1961-1972. Current plans are to keep them in service until 2020. Chances are excellent the chase plane pilot is younger than the supersonic airframe he's riding.

The past ~200 years have been the most incredible time in all of human history - from the exploration of the western frontier starting in 1804, the latter half of the industrial revolution, the golden age of steam power, the internal combustion engine, the first manned heavier-than-air powered flight, the atomic age, satellites, space exploration, moon landings, probes to other planets, electronic technology, communications technology, and on and on and on. It is hard to believe the advances and exploration of the past two centuries will ever be equaled again. Truly where "No man has gone before".

:FlagAm:

Been here in Florida all of my life. I've watched alot of them go up. Don't remember the Mercury launches, but from there on........it's been a must (for me) to watch 'em blaze into the great beyond. I've run the gammet..........both pride and sorrow. Thank you to all who dared go where no man had ever gone before.

Sun

Makes me proud to think of what we have accomplished as a nation.:wub:

Then it makes me sad and angry to think that we now have to rely on Russia to hitch a ride to the space station.:angry:

Waimea

Makes me proud to think of what we have accomplished as a nation.:wub:

Then it makes me sad and angry to think that we now have to rely on Russia to hitch a ride to the space station.:angry:

Waimea

+1

Archived