SASS Wire Forum

what kind of rock is this?

Trigger Mike

Focus is bad, but it kinda' looks like pyrite.

Where does your MOM live? Can you take a focused picture of it with a quarter in frame to give some size perspective to it?

How heavy is it? These are things we've gots ta know. Just sayin'

Big Jake

Could be a nugget, or a meteorite, or a road apple. The pic is a little unclear. ;)

Don't think it's pyrite... pyrite samples usually have facets or at least some "flat spots." This appears to be a rough sample.

Any chance it's just a rock someone spray painted? Not a silly question... but it looks like a sample of a bucketful of rocks we painted for the Boy Scouts "Klondike Derby."

Is that a pet rock? I've heard of them but never seen one in person.

I had one once.

But it ran off.

Come on Bobbie, do ya blame it, hehe

I guess not. It was always complaining that I took it for granite. ;)

A couple three guys sittin' around the Bar one night and the talk gets to making $$$$. One guy (Gary Dahl) says he can make lots of $$$$ selling anything. A bet ensues and he comes up with the idea of the "PET ROCK" He makes a few million $$$$ and uses the money to open up a BAR in Los Gatos Calif. He named it Carrie Nations, crossed axes in stained glass in the windows on the front doors.

Big Jake

as mentioned the rock needs to be in focus. It appears to have considerable mica in it. Where was it found? Are there more like it or did someone drop their souvenir?

as mentioned the rock needs to be in focus. It appears to have considerable mica in it. Where was it found? Are there more like it or did someone drop their souvenir?

It was in her yard just laying there (just saying :lol: ), it is not far from the gold mines we had around here in North GA but she doubted it was gold. I have not seen it in person yet.

does a pet rock need a litter box? :lol:

Archived