SASS Wire Forum

New lawn

Rye Miles #13621

Had a guy put in a new front lawn few me a few days ago. He stripped off the old sod and put down seed and straw. All I had to do was water it. Well..........thanks mother nature, the winds have been a sustained 20 mph.......the straw is blown all over the neighborhood!!!! My next door neighbor has more straw than I do now LOL

UPDATE:

Well new straw is down and watering it every morning.

Rye

The deer here would take care most of that straw in one day.

And the wind would take care of the rest. :lol:

Well... First off, ya shoulda consulted with Forty Rod before messin' with a lawn... :rolleyes:

I seeded mine with a mixture of rye and AstroTurf. Drink the rye and the AstroTurf isn't so offensive.

I hired my lawn guy to tear out my yard, prep it, and lay sod. I told my wife years ago that I'd eat weeds and sleep in a cardboard box under an overpass before I'd do lawn work. I'll do almost anything else (except change diapers and paint ceilings), but I'll pave the whole block before I'll deal with grass.

Izzat what you wanted to know? Well izzitt? :unsure:

Oh, yeah....I don't deal with idiots, either.

UH...WELL.....yea I guess! LOL

Rye

I built the first house on the block and used to bring the horses home to take the yard down. I'd just put up a hot wire and move it around. Now, I have retirees next door and behind me who mow every other day in a different direction. There should be a law that everyone one is required to have a hobby that takes them away from home and uses up their spare cash. If it involves guns, even better.

Just got done raking about a half a bale of straw from my neighbors lawn and putting it back on mine. Bought another bale and spread it down and watered it real good. Hopefully we won't get winds like that and everything will stay put.

I actually like doing yard work. It's good exercise, yer outdoors getting some sun and I don't have a huge lawn to take care of. I just try and keep it green and cut. Low maintenance is the key. I love spring and summer and fall too.

Rye

I found out a few years back that the secret to a nice looking yard is Cesar Rodriguez.

$35.00 a week to mow the front and back yard as well as the frontage on the back side of my fence. He also edges and trims around the fence and all the buildings. If I was doing the same it would take about two hours or so (at least the last time I did it that is what it took). Seems like a great deal to me.

I seeded mine with a mixture of rye and AstroTurf. Drink the rye and the AstroTurf isn't so offensive.

I hired my lawn guy to tear out my yard, prep it, and lay sod. I told my wife years ago that I'd eat weeds and sleep in a cardboard box under an overpass before I'd do lawn work. I'll do almost anything else (except change diapers and paint ceilings), but I'll pave the whole block before I'll deal with grass.

Izzat what you wanted to know? Well izzitt? :unsure:

Dang, 4-T... ya forgot the part 'bout keepin' off... :rolleyes:

Our lawn crew comes at night. Sometimes we see them at dusk or dawn. So far this year, they are keeping things nice, except in the fenced yard. It has been so wet we've been unable to mow and they won't come into the fenced yard. ;)

Easy fix. Discard the mower . . . . and take down the fence. :)

Growing up in the midwest . . . . I hated, hated, HATED, HATED, . . . mowing the lawn and raking leaves. Swore I'd never ever do such terriboble things ever again. And I ain't. I just bought 5 beautiful acres of DESERT . . . nature has decorated it with cactus and creosote plants. Beautiful things. They are happy living on my 5 acres of desert and I'm happy to leave them just as they are. :)

Growing up in the midwest . . . . I hated, hated, HATED, HATED, . . . mowing the lawn and raking leaves. Swore I'd never ever do such terriboble things ever again. And I ain't. I just bought 5 beautiful acres of DESERT . . . nature has decorated it with cactus and creosote plants. Beautiful things. They are happy living on my 5 acres of desert and I'm happy to leave them just as they are. :)

I have always wondered why people want to destroy perfectly good desert by trying to make it grow grass. j-r

Here in So Fla we mow the lawn every week all year long, except when it's an exceptionally cold winter (40s at night) when we can mebbe get by with mowing every two weeks. My best friends are my cardiologist, who prohibited me from mowing and the feller I give 50 bucks to mow...................I got a big yard.

Keep it watered, Rye. As long as the straw is moist, it'll be heavier( IE:More Wind resistant). Once you get a good sprout going then take the straw off. Hopefully we won't get high winds like that for a while :blush:

Buck, the wind was just too much even for a really really wet straw bed. We had sustained winds of 20+......gusts of 30 or more!!!! Hopefully the wind will back off for awhile. Rye

Re-seed your lawn and cover with burlap. Stake em down with L shaped metal stakes. Birds cant get to the seed and wind won't blow the burlap away, except in a tornado or hurricane. Keep it moist, water every other day or so. Once grass starts coming up through the burlap you can remove it. But keep the burlap and stakes. You may want (or need) to do some other part of your yard at some future point. Only other way is to use sod.

Growing up in the midwest . . . . I hated, hated, HATED, HATED, . . . mowing the lawn and raking leaves.

Unless you're using your lawn as a bocci ball court, croquet pitch, or are in House Beautiful magazine it's a damned great waste of time. My neighbor is a lawn care nut - does everything on a fixed schedule, and if it's raining on mowing day she's out there anyway. Sheeesh.

Regarding leaves - I didn't put them there, so why should I have to pick them up?

Re-seed your lawn and cover with burlap. Stake em down with L shaped metal stakes. Birds cant get to the seed and wind won't blow the burlap away, except in a tornado or hurricane. Keep it moist, water every other day or so. Once grass starts coming up through the burlap you can remove it. But keep the burlap and stakes. You may want (or need) to do some other part of your yard at some future point. Only other way is to use sod.

I've seen that before and wondered if it worked. Thanks but too late now I got the yard covered in straw again. I water it for about an hour every morning, grass should be popping up in a couple weeks.

For you "hate yard work guys" I'm not a lawn nut....... like I said I just want it green and mowed. I have some evergreen bushes in the front of the house. In my back yard I got roses along the back fence and a plum tree. That's it! Geez, it's not much maintenance at all and it looks fine. I like the exercise from mowing the lawn and I love being outside. Hey, those sweet yellow plums are mighty good!!!

Rye

Yes they are. And the Giant Eagle store is only a mile from my house! :lol:

I'll betcha a Colt that they ain't as sweet and juicy as homegrown from my yard.........in fact zi know they ain't so I won't take yer money!! LOL

Rye

I've got some bare spots in my back yard I've tried just about everything to get some grass to grow. This good old Ohio clay is a bear to get something to grow.

Did ya try that seed with the shredded newspaper in it? Seems to grow anywhere. Rye

I just mowed the dandelions last evening.

Got a few brown spots already but that where I pour gasoline on some thistles.

Can't wait until this summer when the only thing in my lawn that is green is the crap grass.

Unless we get rains , and a bunch of them , lawns may be an endangered species around West Texas. Got restrictions on water use already , may get worse. And lots of rain here has been abnormal for several hundred years , according to historians.

Rex , who is no fan of yard work , but even less a fan of DROUTH. :D

Unless we get rains , and a bunch of them , lawns may be an endangered species around West Texas. Got restrictions on water use already , may get worse. And lots of rain here has been abnormal for several hundred years , according to historians.

Rex , who is no fan of yard work , but even less a fan of DROUTH. :D

When the lawns dry up where y'all gonna graze?

Archived