SASS Wire Forum

Blown up Glock....

Tucumcari Tim

A little background first. I taught a CCW class this past weekend and use a range offsite from where the classroom is. I enlist the help of a previous student to set up the stands and targets prior to the class getting there. He is proficient in shooting and has advanced dramatically. Upon arrival, he was nowhere in sight. I eventually saw him walking from an outbuilding (a sawmill the owner of the property runs), holding his right hand. As he got closer he had a strange look on his face. Pretty pale and sheepish looking. He asked if I could do some gunsmithing work for him. After telling him I only work on my personal guns, I asked what he needed. He said his Glock 19 is locked up solid due to an issue that happened just prior to us arriving. I looked at the gun and saw that the right side, where you can change the magazine release for left handers, was totally blown out. I could see the head of the brass still in the chamber and the extractor was protruding farther out than normal. Keeping the gun downrange, I verified there was no live rounds inside. This thing is locked up tighter than a drum. I am relatively sure he had fired a double load and was lucky enough to just have a sore hand and keep all his fingers and face. He and I had loaded thousands of rounds together, as I was teaching him how to do it, and always stressed to be safe and cautious during the process, If you aren't sure of something, it is better to waste the material than lose a body part or your life. This particular group of loads, he borrowed someones Dillon and loaded these (9MM) by himself, since I had changed back to 45 colt on my 650 for the season. I feel bad due to not being there to oversee the process, but I am now positive he will double and triple check his work. I am thankful he was not hurt, but wanted to share what could have been a disastrous end.

Be careful when you reload. I have been reloading for over 30+ years, and I still double and triple check stuff.

TT

Howdy Tim, I've just started researching Glocks and have run across a couple of articles regarding catastrophic failures. Seems reloaded ammo is a common culprit. Not that one can't reload for them, but apparently it requires a great deal of care. Here a couple of links:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/kb-notes.html

i shoot and reload all my glock ammo and verry falimial with glock.they are designed to take good charged ammo. it would instering to know the bullit and powder charge and type used.

I gave him my kinetic bullet puller yesterday at Church. He has 300 rounds he will be dismantling. I'll let you know if he has any discrepancies. It's normally a 115gr. FMJ using Winchester primers and Titegroup powder. (just under the minimum recipe amount)

TT

Howdy Tim, I've just started researching Glocks and have run across a couple of articles regarding catastrophic failures. Seems reloaded ammo is a common culprit. Not that one can't reload for them, but apparently it requires a great deal of care. Here a couple of links:

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/kb-notes.html

Thanks for the links Deadwood. I have loaded 10's of thousands of rounds for years in my Glocks (19/17/17L /21) and never had any issues with any of them. They recommend that you do not use reloads (as most mfrs do), and can void your warranty if done and something like this happens. A liability issue. Using factory ammunition can't guarantee consistency either, as I have disassembled a lot of it to check weights of projectile and powder charge weights, and you would be surprised how little QC is used in some manufacturers products. Primers in backwards, inconsistent powder charge, OAL discrepancies, etc. Everyone can make mistakes.

TT

I only reload BP! There is no way a double charge or a double load can happen...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

+1..................No mistakes with the original powder!!!! I also load .45 acp but on a Single stage press and put the powder in each case with a dipper.

A few years ago when I was loading that yucky smokeless stuff, I guess it was a double charge of Clay's in a ,45 Colt that was a REAL Colt and bulged the cylinder. I was sick about it but Ordered a new cylinder and had it fitted to the gun. I kept that blown out cylinder for quite awhile. I used it as a pencil holder to remind me of my stupidity. Sold the gun and gave the guy the bulged cylinder (free of charge LOL)

Rye

Archived