SASS Wire Forum

YES YES YES !

Rooster Ron Wayne

Michigan Finally Appeals Helmet Law !

Now Michigan can and will see Motorcycle riders, from the surrounding states .

This should be a big draw to Michigan for Tourist to ride around the lake .

God bless all the riders this season .

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Congratulations.

As one of a small group who spent a lot of time in 75 and 76 working to repeal Oklahomas helmet law, I know what a fight they had.

Again, congratulations, and if you run across one of the bikers who worked so hard to get the law repealed, buy him/her a drink and let them know how much their time and effort is appreciated.

LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE

Professor Tull

The battle continues in Tennessee!! Every year or so they tease us with new legislstion only to have it killed by the same insurance company butt kissin' congressman or senator in comittee. They won't let it get to the floor for a vote 'cause they know their lobyist meal ticket will disappear. I guess the wind blows both directions.

Just wish, whatever the cause, it could get an honest debate and vote on the congressional floor.

The battle continues in Tennessee!! Every year or so they tease us with new legislstion only to have it killed by the same insurance company butt kissin' congressman or senator in comittee. They won't let it get to the floor for a vote 'cause they know their lobyist meal ticket will disappear. I guess the wind blows both directions.

Just wish, whatever the cause, it could get an honest debate and vote on the congressional floor.

In Tennessee the main opposition seems to be spearheaded by AAA - using their tried and effective argument of "no helmet laws equals increased insurance rates".

Find a way to neutralize that argument, as Michigan did, and repeal may become an actuality.

Tull

In Tennessee the main opposition seems to be spearheaded by AAA - using their tried and effective argument of "no helmet laws equals increased insurance rates".

Find a way to neutralize that argument, as Michigan did, and repeal may become an actuality.

Tull

There are a couple of state rep.s and one particular senator who have managed to kill the bills in committee consistantly over the years. :angry: We have had the votes in the full chambers a number of times but haven't gotten a bill to the floor in as long as I can remember. :wacko: The former House Speaker is finally retiring after this term, so maybe next year things will change. :rolleyes:

And yes, the AAA and AMA are backing these obstructionist politicians to the hilt. Maybe after this election, I hope, I hope, I hope!!!

I agree. Repeal all of the helmet and seatbelt laws as a matter of personal liberty,

And to give the Darwin Effect a fair chance!

Buena suerte,

eGG

Helmets can be uncomfortable, hot, not very stylish, and can make a mess of your hair.

A head smacking the pavement or a tree at 60MPH can also make a helluva mess and really take the gloss off your day.

My little motorcycle wreck 10 years ago busted up my shoulder, made a mess of my bike, and without my helmet I would have left a good bit of the side of my head as a smear on the pavement.

My ex-wife is an ER Nurse. In the ER they refer to motorcyclists as organ donors. One of her friends, an ER Tech, was a motorcyclist, and an ardent opponent of helmet laws. His head got split open like an overripe melon when skull met tree in an accident.

No thanx. Murdercycles are dangerous enough without reducing your odds even further. For those who do choose to ride without a brain bucket ... just watch yourselves. I don't want to read any more obits here on the wire.

I am a firm believer in "let those who ride decide". Some years back there was a rally, in Tallahassee, and I remember some biker saying that if they passed a law requiring us car drivers to wear seat belts, that would get repealed right quick. Funny, now, how bikers no longer have to wear helmets but we now have to wear seat belts.

I fell off mine, one time. Slid down the road a piece. Pretty much destroyed the side of my boot. Big white patch on my jeans leg, where it had been "sanded down" by the pavement. Coat sleeve so abraded that it was worn through and the stuffing was leaking out. And we can't forget the loverly black "road rash design" on the side of that white Bell helmet.

I was always glad I dressed properly to ride. I see people with no helmet, riding in shorts, t-shirts and flip flops, and I think, "What morons".

But still - their life, so it should be their decision.

Can't imagine riding a motrcycle without a helmet....but I support personal choice...my decision is to wear a helmet, but others may make their own choice.

G (Easy Rider fan)G ~ :FlagAm:

Can't imagine riding a motrcycle without a helmet....but I support personal choice...my decision is to wear a helmet, but others may make their own choice.

G (Easy Rider fan)G ~ :FlagAm:

Gunner, I agree with you, but for me, its ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), even down here in the South in summer. That means boots, leathers (pants and jacket or vest in extreme heat), gloves and helmet. You might wanna stay upwind of me after a long ride on an August day!! :blink:

Gunner, I agree with you, but for me, its ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time), even down here in the South in summer. That means boots, leathers (pants and jacket or vest in extreme heat), gloves and helmet. You might wanna stay upwind of me after a long ride on an August day!! :blink:

Well....our troops gear up for battle...and dealing with traffic can be it's own kinda battle :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My sons (3) all took the motorcycle rider course when they turned 16 against their mother's wishes and at my insistence. My mother never knew I had a motorcycle when I was 14 and didn't find out until I told her at 18 and was leaving home for school. It sort of backfired because they made me promise to always wear a lid... and I do.

But, i've found that my neck can't take the weight of a full face all day so I wear the half-hat. Only time I needed it was when a car that cut me off followed me to my next gas stop. Now I know why all the Banditos and HA wear helmets all the time, they're also good on a gas island.

Around here they're good in a hail storm, too. And, if you're going cross country then it has to be someplace so it might as well be on your head. But, to the guy that hit that tree... well, a helmet would have just insured that he broke his neck because the force travels to the next most vulnerable spot.

The studies that early on showed a lower death rate due to helmet laws were quickly shown to be a statistical error. Later studies of non-helmet vs. helmet mandatory states have shown fairly conclusively that death rates are higher per accident in helmet states due to broken necks, but the incidence of TBI is far lower.

I'm pretty sure I'd rather have a broken neck than TBI.

If you wish to splatter your brains on the pavement becoming a veggie, as you do not wish to wear a helmet, or a seatbelt, be my guest. However, do not expect ANY assistance from your insurance nor medicaid, after you have expended your savings. Personal liberty is fine in an abstract ideal. I have seen too many brain damaged crash victims and the effect on their families. Belts and helmets ALL THE TIME.

See you down the trail......

Let those who ride DECIDE !

If you chose to were a helmet it is your choice.

If I choose not to ,it is my choice.

We now have a choice .

We buy a car or motorcycle and pay taxes on it .

We pay for plates and Insurance .

We pay taxes on the roads we ride or drive on .

We should have a choice to were a seat belt or were a helmet !

This is the USA Not USSR .

We should have a choice !

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

As long as my tax dollars don't have to pay for your brain injuries, I don't care what you do.

I always wear a helmet and I drive a motorcycle like a paranoid old lady. That asphalt is really hard.

Besides, most everyone out there is trying to kill ya!

I always ride with helmet... seen way too many killed over the years that would have walked away with only a few bumps and bruises or may be a broken bone or two, but that is my decision.

With that said... it should be up to each rider to make that decision for themselves.

With or without a helmet... everybody ride safe!

I don't think it's neccesarily fair to say "let those who ride decide".....it may be your choice to ride without a helmet, but trauma room bills, and head injury rehab is not free, the rest of us end up paying for it, particularly for the un/underinsured. Hard to say it's a matter of personal liberty when it infringes so deeply on others. Don't buy the broken neck thing either...every dead one I've ever dealt with was from massive head injury and multi-system trauma (at least on appearance). I think if people actually realized what a HUGE difference it makes in low speed crashes (lets face it, chances are slim anybody survives the 90+mph ones)no one would want to take that risk.

Or, maybe I'm just biased after 20+ years in Fire/Rescue...oh, well.

I'm not a fan of regulation, but when a large scale practice has a definable and unreasonable and negative impact on ME then it's a fair subject for regulation.

Seat belts and helmets reduce the PUBLIC cost of injury. This makes makes mandatory use of them fair and reasonable.

If you want to ride without a helmet then let the law reflect that. A person who wishes to take advanage of their "liberty" can post a bond to cover their costs in the event of a head injury. I would think $2,000,000 would be a good number to start with.

I have written to my TN Senator and Representative signaling my support for continuing mandatory helmet use. I'll do it for seat belts, too, if that issues arises.

SQQ

Graduate, U.S. Naval Aviation Safety School, Monterey, CA., 1979.

Archived