SASS Wire Forum

Maybe it's Just Me

Cypress Sun

I really don't think it's me. The Special Prosecutor charged Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder charges about an hour ago. Seemed to me that she thought she was at an awards banquet of some kind. Took 5 minutes for her to "thank" all of the "people" before announcing the charges. I don't disagree with the charges, just the way she went about the press conference. One big disgrace IMO.

CS

I really don't think it's me. The Special Prosecutor charged Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder charges about an hour ago. Seemed to me that she thought she was at an awards banquet of some kind. Took 5 minutes for her to "thank" all of the "people" before announcing the charges. I don't disagree with the charges, just the way she went about the press conference. One big disgrace IMO.

CS

She did seem a little full of herself. <_<

But then a lot of State Attorneys seem to be impressed with their lofty status. I've met a few who weren't but they were the exception.

I didn't see her on tele, but prolly will on the news later. Although I disagree with the charges, it seems that she was pressured to do something.

I didn't see her on tele, but prolly will on the news later. Although I disagree with the charges, it seems that she was pressured to do something.

Why do you disagree with the charges? Seems we need to hear all the facts in a court of law to maybe learn more about what really happened. Eric Holder will probably try to bring Federal charges against him due to influence of guys like Sharpton. Wonder if he thinks Officer Terry's civil rights were violated when he was killed with a gun he allowed to walk across the border?

Either way, I personally feel we don't know anywhere near the whole story. If the FACTS show he was not justified in shooting, he should do time. If not, he should be set free, NONE of it based on public pressure, IMHO....

Not just you. I had the impression she is out to make a name for herself. And obviously wants a conviction. I do not know enough of the facts to make a call as to whether or not the 2nd degree murder charge is justified. Let's just say I am skepticle at this time.

Bucky

Regardless of the outcome, there are some individuals (and the groups they claim to represent) who will not be happy.

If Z gets acquitted, there'll be hell to pay. If he gets a minimum sentence, there'll hell to pay. Lose - lose no matter what.

My prediction: plea down to manslaughter. Maybe.

The defense will probably invoke Justifiable Homicide: "The killing of a human being is justifiable homicide and lawful if done while resisting an attempt by someone to kill you or to commit a felony against you."

CS

I agree 100%

BUT at least he's being charged (bout time)

Hopefully in about a year when this thing goes to trial, emotions will have settled down and Zimmerman will get a fair trial. I don't know all the facts. I just get little pieces from the news conferences and I have to fill in the missing parts with my vivid imagination.

During a trial, the State will have to prove its case and Zimmerman will have a chance to present his evidence. We'll see what happens. It may all come down to jury selection.

That decision was based on political considerations....

Now all they have to do is bring in some Australians to manage and run the kangaroo trial.

This entire trial while it may be right is being done for public opinion.

And bho and eh are in it for the ride.

A lot of people are convinced he's guilty. A lot of people are sure he didn't do anything wrong.

All I know about the case it what I've see from the media.

And you know what that's worth.

So I'm not about to make up my mind until I see all the evidence presented some months down the road. And even then I may not be able to.

Since all District Attorneys in Florida are elected any case like this is political. She had no choice if she wants to run for for the posistion again.

I am interested in hearing all the facts. So far what we have heard is a pretty 1 sided.

Had a case close to me. Actual event happened less than a mile away. Everything in the news at the time indicated the guy gunned down a Afghan vet in front of his daughter for no reason other than a verbal arguement. Everyone decided the guy was a guilty slime ball. Once the trail started it turned out the shooter (60+ years with health issues)had turned and was walking back to his house when the victim (about 40 and in good shape as a military man)jumped the shooter from behind and wrestled him to the ground because he was not thru talking to him yet. The shooter was aquitted.

Unfortunatley, he has already been tried and found guilty by the media and anti-2nd amendment crowd.

A lot of people are convinced he's guilty. A lot of people are sure he didn't do anything wrong.

So I'm not about to make up my mind until I see all the evidence presented some months down the road. And even then I may not be able to.

Yepper!

LBL, who are we going to hear the "facts" from?

Hopefully, facts are what come out at a trial. Either the prosecuetion has some facts, or they shouldn't have charged him. he should also be able to present his side, and then we'll see.

I agree this is a lot political. Sharpton and others have made it sound like the Sanford police department is inept and racist. Without getting political myself, i'm tired of hearing all that. I find it really, really hard to believe an entire force is racist and thinks they could cover up this thing if a crime took place. Prosecuetor at first said some good things, but then the press conference made her look like the pandering baffoon she is....

Cap'n, ain't that about the same definition as self defense?

They can be linked issues, or they can stand alone.

Say you pull into a parking space, and as you exit your vehicle some rube comes up to you and says "That was my parking space dumbass!" and throws a punch at you. You punch back. Cop on patrol sees the two of you and arrests both on a charge of brawling in public. You claim self defense, and are eventually exonerated.

You're in the neighborhood Stop-N-Rob convenience store. Guy comes in, whips out a gun and proceeds to threaten the clerk. You're an aisle over, witness the armed robbery in progress and realize the perp is about to shoot the clerk. You draw and fire. Under the broad definition of "in defense of others" the ruling of justifiable homicide would apply.

Back to the parking lot, only this time Goofus pulls a knife on you. You draw your CCW legal sidearm and shoot him. Under these circumstances, both self defense and justifiable homicide apply, especially in states with a Castle Doctrine / No Duty to Retreat law.

However, there are times when "in defense of others" can become a quagmire....

Laverne weighs 105 pounds, Bubba weighs 240. You come upon Laverne beating the crap out of Bubba with a baseball bat. Is this a case of:

A: Laverne is a crack addict and is mugging Bubba.

B: Bubba tried to assault Laverne and she got the upper hand and is acting in self defense.

C: This is a domestic dispute because Laverne caught Bubba with Shirley.

D: Bubba is a child molester and Laverne caught him trying to snatch one of her kids.

Would you shoot Laverne or not? "In defense of others" might apply here, but in two of these scenarios Bubba had it coming.

Whatever comes out when it goes to court, the news, in print, radio and television have been biased and helped flamed outrage.

Showing picture 5 years old, of an innocent looking little boy,rather then a recent photo, and Zimmerman as a rough looking thug.

NBC re-editing the 911 call

CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, all showing Zimmerman coming into police station, all saying they see no evidence of any cuts, scrapes, etc. on his head, yet when Zimmerman starts to turn and show the back of his head on the video, its covered by the stations logos.

Last several days the media been wild about his hiding out, speculating by the reporters he's trying to flee, yet not one mentions he might be scared and hiding because of the "Bounty", 1 million dollars.

Guilty or innocent, not one reporter, political person, has condemned the 1 million dollar bounty, "Dead or Alive" put on his head. Not one!

As to concealed firearms, stand your ground, there are already some backlashes, and fodder for anti-gun people.

I just hope he can get a fair trial, but with the bias, news, and politics coming into this issue, I don't feel he will. Political futures are also at stake, news and reporters will need legitimizing for their reporting on this.

Few may remember the Lacrosse players, charges, media coverage, and the populations as a whole of their guilt, everyone said they were guilty.

Zimmerman, has already been charged and convicted, and the trial will make or break futures by the outcome. MT

I could get an Indictment on a cue ball.... Hearsay evidence is allowed and only one side of a story is told to the Grand Jury Panel. If they really had a good strong case, they would have him arrested, brought in front of a Judge for a Probable Cause hearing, (which BTW is a mini trial where all evidence is presented) and a Judge would sign an Information. Convictions on Informations are over 98% while Indictments, being saved for either really weak cases or those with political considerations run under 25%....

It's not you, and I agree with folks saying this is going to be a mess however it goes. One of the experts pointed out the prosecution is going to have a hard time getting a conviction with what is known now.

Don't know the real facts, but my experience with grand jury was one time a murder case was canceled. Suspect was another attorney, things got worked out. With over thousands of grand jury cases I testifed in, if a high profile case and certain folks want charges filed, and the prosecuting attorney up in the air about the case and pressure being put on, send the case to the grand jury and more than likely a no true bill. Interresting this case going to the grand jury and the day before cancelled. My experience made it point a little toward a possible, "No true Bill". Sure made me wonder, Then again;

How about a rally for the 13 year old white boy in Kansas City Mo. who was attacked about the same time by two black kids and had gasoline poured on him?? As the blacks lit him, they chanted "burn whitey".

Doubt that happened?

I'm a little late to this party but I finally got to hear the press conference this morning. The thing that struck me most is right there at the end after she thanked everyone she asked for PRAYER.....PRAYER....for the family of the deceased and for the prosecuting team.

Now I ain't no lawyer but I play one at work.....J. Mark, if you are around I'd like your take on this. Seems to me that the prosecutor asking for prayer for the deceased family and her prosecuting team in a public forum might already be the foundation for a mistrial....even though one has not begun. Can we say "Change of Venue" .

There is just SO MUCH about this that isn't setting right with me.....starting with ignoring the laws for self defense already on the books to trying the case in the court of public opinion. This will be ugly, very ugly. If he is acquitted it'll be riots in the streets and ugliness for years to come. If he is convicted it'll be used as the basis in case law for overturning some of the provisions of the self defense laws in Florida....and this will be projected to all of the other states with similar provisions, including Georgia where I live.

I guess I'll just go to the refreshment stand and get a coke and box of popcorn and watch the show. JEEZ :( :(

I'm a little late to this party but I finally got to hear the press conference this morning. The thing that struck me most is right there at the end after she thanked everyone she asked for PRAYER.....PRAYER....for the family of the deceased and for the prosecuting team.

Now I ain't no lawyer but I play one at work.....J. Mark, if you are around I'd like your take on this. Seems to me that the prosecutor asking for prayer for the deceased family and her prosecuting team in a public forum might already be the foundation for a mistrial....even though one has not begun. Can we say "Change of Venue" .

There is just SO MUCH about this that isn't setting right with me.....starting with ignoring the laws for self defense already on the books to trying the case in the court of public opinion. This will be ugly, very ugly. If he is acquitted it'll be riots in the streets and ugliness for years to come. If he is convicted it'll be used as the basis in case law for overturning some of the provisions of the self defense laws in Florida....and this will be projected to all of the other states with similar provisions, including Georgia where I live.

I guess I'll just go to the refreshment stand and get a coke and box of popcorn and watch the show. JEEZ :( :(

If she had only asked for a prayer for one side then there would be a problem. She's no dummy apparently.

Guest Cinch, SASS#29433

I just hope that the court or someone makes them quit showing pictures of a 13 year old kid!! Just slimey they continue to show little league football pictures...

I live in Jacksonville, and I can say the local news is very biased before it has come to trial, and still this morning one sided. Praising the news conference, and how the prosecutor started with thanking everyone, and ending with a prayer. Zimmerman has retained a "slick" lawyer, savy in media, and law.

Yes, this is about Zimmerman, but also the future of some politicians and votes. One has to hear, written articles, and see that it is going to be a circus.

This morning the local news had all the early cute pictures up, and asking for viewers prayers while showing pics for a just judgement. MT

Once again, Bob has got it 100% right. And I'll add that the 911 tape, video of Zimmerman in the interview room, those things should never have been released. This was an ongoing investigation. Release 911 tape and NBC edits tape. Release video and NBC ( and others) say, " This tape clearly shows that there are no injuries to Zimmerman's head." Then three weeks later the tape is "enhanced" and it does show injuries.

Now all they have to do is bring in some Australians to manage and run the kangaroo trial.

This entire trial while it may be right is being done for public opinion.

And bho and eh are in it for the ride.

AMEN!

If she had only asked for a prayer for one side then there would be a problem. She's no dummy apparently.

Ah, but that's what she did! She only asked for prayer for the deceased's family and for the prosecution team. She made NO mention of asking for prayer for the accused, his family or the defense team.

It's all very political. She had to charge him or would face a really tough time at the next election. If the jury finds not guilty at trail she has that out, she can always blame the jury, seems to be a common thing when prosecuters lose. If she does get a conviction then she opens the door to a statewide office and what politican does not want that.

According to those familiar with her record she doesn't offer plea bargins alot so we have to see. We do know that he was treated for injury to the nose and back of the head at the scene by paramedics and follow up at the hospital later. No doubt it will be interesting.

Race riot or fights are certainly a possiblility. The New Black Panther Party on one-side stirring the pot and the Skinheads on the other doing the same with the vast majority stuck in the middle. Could be like Miami many years ago or LA after Rodney King.

To me the real question is why anybody should have an opinion or care about this shooting in a Florida town other than the local citizens and authorities.

This shooting involved no law enforcement or other public personnel and why it has national attention is strange.

It may be a bad shoot or a good one, I don't know. I guess the only opinion I've formed (because it's hard to avoid one with this business everywhere) is that Zimmerman is a real wannabe-type, which is not a good thing to be out there.

I don't care who the prosecutor is or who she prays for. That's for the locals. Man, I hate this "nationalization" of all the news!

Archived