SASS Wire Forum

General Lee's Sidearm

Come On Christmas

Gunner, I jest went to my Facebook page. No link. Howdoya look it up?

Shameless

P.S. it worked on my computer, but not on my Iphone. Sooo nevermind.

Gunner, I jest went to my Facebook page. No link. Howdoya look it up?

Shameless

Hmmmm - try typing in NRA national Firearms Museum in your FB search box. when you find it just scroll down and you will see a cool pic of an 1851 similar to the one Lee used supposedly.

The caption says:

Well, it's another Monday and thinking back 147 years to 1865, today (April 9) was the sad day that General Robert E. Lee surrendered to U.S. Grant. But at least the GUN OF THE DAY is more upbeat as General Lee once owned a very similar engraved Colt M1851 revolver with ivory grip panels, and under the terms of the surrender, Confederate officers were allowed to retain their sidearms. For today's special Civil War trivia question - where is Lee's Colt revolver currently?

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Hmmmm - try typing in NRA national Firearms Museum in your FB search box. when you find it just scroll down and you will see a cool pic of an 1851 similar to the one Lee used supposedly.

The caption says:

Well, it's another Monday and thinking back 147 years to 1865, today (April 9) was the sad day that General Robert E. Lee surrendered to U.S. Grant. But at least the GUN OF THE DAY is more upbeat as General Lee once owned a very similar engraved Colt M1851 revolver with ivory grip panels, and under the terms of the surrender, Confederate officers were allowed to retain their sidearms. For today's special Civil War trivia question - where is Lee's Colt revolver currently?

GG ~ :FlagAm:

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond has both his pistol and the sword he attempted to surrender to Grant at Appomattox

The Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond has both his pistol and the sword he attempted to surrender to Grant at Appomattox

As an aside, didn't JEB Stuart carry a LeMat?

I beleive that General Stuart and Gen Beauregard carried LeMats, thus linking that French revolver with the Confederacy forever. :FlagAm:

Yep, you're right. So did Braxton Bragg. Also, IIRC, Beauregard was LeMat's cousin.

I beleive that General Stuart and Gen Beauregard carried LeMats, thus linking that French revolver with the Confederacy forever. :FlagAm:

FRENCH? I think not:

Dr. Jean Alexandre Francois LeMat (1824–1883), is best known for the percussion cap revolver that bears his name (see LeMat revolver).

LeMat, then a New Orleans physician, secured US 15925 for his design on October 21, 1856. British patents for the same design were issued in 1859, and he later designed a revolver rifle of similar concept as the handgun.

AMERICAN, mi amigo!

Buena suerte,

eGG

I believe that they were produced in France and England.

You're Right Amigo!!!Lemat had them built in belgium and france and then proofed in england.......Lemat had a french born partner that fled the USA...when the war started........I think his name was GIRARD.........Some where I 've seen their names together on The Lemat pistol info.....I think they made a "baby Lemat,and a Lemat carbine Too..............Tuco(I was very young at the time).

Archived