SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli Wyatt Earp Coach Gun

Frenchy Cannuck

I'm considering buying one. A friend who owns one says the hammers are a little hard to pull, does anyone out there make modified springs for em?

Frenchy

howdy

it is a nice shotgun, but as the owner of one I must say that it is a expensive gun for the quality

I have invested about 80 hours of work to get the burs out, polish all the internal components, shorten springs, etc. and I can say it runs great now(I do all my own gun work)

To the hammer springs, I have modified the springs slightly, but as the hammers have a pretty short stroke you can’t make ‘m to light(light spring, short travel will give problems with harder primers)

The short stroke on the hammers means that they are pretty easy to cock even with the stiffer springs(it takes a little effort, but it is a nice short movement, so you can do it pretty fast)

Other thing is that my “wyatt earp” is pretty picky on what hulls I shoot, I shoot BP and I get a lott off sticking hulls if I don’t use the Wright hulls(Remington STS seems to work best)

To answer your question I’ve searched for parts for this shotgun and the only one who could deliver them was Pedersoli(original replacement parts)

Grts

Dutch Bear

howdy

it is a nice shotgun, but as the owner of one I must say that it is a expensive gun for the quality

I have invested about 80 hours of work to get the burs out, polish all the internal components, shorten springs, etc. and I can say it runs great now(I do all my own gun work)

To the hammer springs, I have modified the springs slightly, but as the hammers have a pretty short stroke you can’t make ‘m to light(light spring, short travel will give problems with harder primers)

The short stroke on the hammers means that they are pretty easy to cock even with the stiffer springs(it takes a little effort, but it is a nice short movement, so you can do it pretty fast)

Other thing is that my “wyatt earp” is pretty picky on what hulls I shoot, I shoot BP and I get a lott off sticking hulls if I don’t use the Wright hulls(Remington STS seems to work best)

To answer your question I’ve searched for parts for this shotgun and the only one who could deliver them was Pedersoli(original replacement parts)

Grts

Dutch Bear

Many thanks Dutch Bear!

Much obliged

Frenchy

I have one as well, but I haven't done any tuning on it.

It seems to for me any way; but then again, I was formerly using a Norinco Coach gun :blush:

Those are sold by the pound. :D

I'm considering buying one. A friend who owns one says the hammers are a little hard to pull, does anyone out there make modified springs for em?

Frenchy

I own one and I like it - but I like it a even more now that I got the hammer springs lightened by Mid Maryland gunsmiths. Now, it is easy to do a quick double cock with the sweep of my hand. Unlike Dutch Bear's issues, I haven't noticed sharp burrs or other such challenges. All the materials, and mechanical fit (such as the mechanism that connects the wooden grip to the bottom of the barrels) were clean and tight. The wood is very well finished and excellent specimens. It might be a little heavy for those looking go light (say like a Stoeger).

I will 100% agree with Dutch on the finickyness of the hulls used. If you use smooth hulls (like Winchester feather lights AA12FL8), they will eject smooth, quick, and easy. I bought a case of what were supposed to be smooth hulls from NobelSport. When I got them, they had slight ridges on the hulls, but not very pronounced. Still even that small amount kept them from ejecting smoothly. If I use the Winchester smooth hulled shells, never a problem and always ejects quick and clean; when I use anything with any ridges on the shells, not so good.

That said, I gladly trade off the need to use smooth hulls for the pleasure of ownership. I just find it to be a beautiful, quality made, exposed hammer, double barrel shotgun. Certainly more costly than Stoeger or some other options out there, but was worth it for me. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea.

For what its worth, I emailed back and forth several times with the company prior to and after purchase and always received a personal and informative response. Left me feeling like I was dealing with real people as opposed to a faceless company in a far off unreachable place.

Well ......... I have two and couldn't be more pleased. Well, maybe if they were a little less pricy, but having said that, you do get what you pay for. Very well made, very well finished. I do believe the chambers are cut just a bit tight. Picky about ammunition but with the right ammo, shuck just fine out of the box. Hammer spring are a mite heavy, but with moderate re-grinding are quite acceptable. Locks up like a bank vault. The only source of parts thus far is ....... Pedersoli for OEM replacement.

Coffinmaker

Why not polish the chambers if the hulls are sticking? I had a similar problem with my TTN and I used a simple automotive wheel cylinder hone and now it shucks with just a small rearward movement. You don't want a bright mirror finish as that will cause sticking but a very smooth finish will have them out quick.

I did that with my other coach gun, but the issue seemed to be the type of shotshell I used.

Aluminum based shells, rather than brass and shells that were `ribbed`seem to be an issue, while slick walled shells by Winchester seemed to drop out just fine.

Now that winters over up here, the snow is off the ground and things are starting to dry out enough we can get into the range, our season of CAS will soon get underway.YEEEHAH!!

Why not polish the chambers if the hulls are sticking? I had a similar problem with my TTN and I used a simple automotive wheel cylinder hone and now it shucks with just a small rearward movement. You don't want a bright mirror finish as that will cause sticking but a very smooth finish will have them out quick.

Mine did get the chambers polished at the same time it got the hammers lightened. Still didn't change the issue with hulls with ridges. Smooth hulls fly out. Not so if not smooth.

Archived