SASS Wire Forum

Single shot shotgun

I would swear that last year I read something to the effect that a 12 gauge single-shot shotgun, with external hammer and an ejector, was legal in all categories. I cannot find anything on this in the current manuals. Was I dreaming?

Thanks, PaleWolf, but I had found the rule on ejectors. What I'm looking for is the legality of the single shot shtogun in all categories, e.g., Frontier Cartridge, Frontier Cartridge Duelist, etc. Like I posted originally, I really thought I read something about this last year. Another pard I know remembers it, too, so did the rules change back, or was this left out of the new manuals? Or are we both nuts?

As per the rule book, these categories exclude using a single-barrel break-open shotgun, because they ONLY permit the shotgun types listed in the category:

FC and FCD - Must use a side-by-side or lever action shotgun in the main match stages (page 14)

Frontiersman - Must use a side-by-side or lever action shotgun in the main match stages. (page 14)

Classic Cowboy/girl - SASS–legal external hammer double barrel or lever actions. (page 14)

Good luck, GJ

The clarification that you likely recall was that made at the last Summit allowing single-shot SGs in PLAINSMAN.

That was an oversight when they were FINALLY added to the list of legal firearms.

It appears that adding them to the list for the other BP categories was also overlooked (as GJ points out)

...I thought we'd covered that one as well. :blush:

I'll see what can be done in that regard.

I would swear that last year I read something to the effect that a 12 gauge single-shot shotgun, with external hammer and an ejector, was legal in all categories. I cannot find anything on this in the current manuals. Was I dreaming?

BTW, it doesn't have to have an external hammer.

Fillmore

...... under this side of tha swimmin' hole one those could get you 14years in "The Greybar Hotel" ... :blink:

As long as the barrel is 18" long and the OAL is 27" then a pistol grip sg like that is perfectly legal in the good ole USA. If you give tribute money to the Treasury you can have as short a barrel as ye like.

I got confused. Was the question ever answered about a single shot being allowed in all categories?

The clarification that you likely recall was that made at the last Summit allowing single-shot SGs in PLAINSMAN.

That was an oversight when they were FINALLY added to the list of legal firearms.

It appears that adding them to the list for the other BP categories was also overlooked (as GJ points out)

...I thought we'd covered that one as well. :blush:

I'll see what can be done in that regard.

And I just picked up this one ... http://www.gunrunnerauctions.com/listings/details/index.cfm?itemnum=1017087536 ... 'cause I thought it was legal. Plus there's the oddball gun fun factor too.

I got confused. Was the question ever answered about a single shot being allowed in all categories?

Ummmmm, see post 4. It is currently not legal per the written rules in three categories. And PWB is working with Rules Committee to make it legal for those. That answer is pending.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, Joe. Here I was thinkin' single shots with ejectors and with or without hammers were already legal in all categories. So hopefully they soon will be I'm sure. Cannot imagine anyone having any problem with it.

Cap Woody, if you got that SuperSingle for that price you stole it and done good. I have one but it is super slow. Much slower than my gamer H&R/NEFs and Baikal single shots. Wouldn't be so bad if ya didn't have to thumb cock the hammer too as well as levering it.

I am on the look-out for a Deerslayer with rifle sights if anyone is willing to turn loose of one.

Since The Big Shakeup, I've used a single shot hammergun in Classic, Frontiersman, B-Western, and Frontier Cartridge with no complaints. I'm pretty sure they're legal in ALL categories.

The way I read PWBs answer was that they are legal and that they just overlooked listing them in the rule book.

PWB please state it plain for us simple folks.

SINGLE-SHOT shotguns are legal in ALL categories.

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl should require an external HAMMER (same criteria as for the SxS).

BTW - Cutting the stock down to a pistol-grip is an ILLEGAL external modification.

Now that PWB has settled the single shot shot gun in categories question.

here's Stumpy with a sort of modified sxs butt stock at about 4 minutes into the video clip. ^_^

Archived