SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of cats, anyone out there grow their own catnip?

Iron Pony

While stocking up on cat chow last week I bought one of those little live catnip plants. Its been real popular with my housemates, loved and chewed half to death so maybe I could grow some of my own.

Any gardeners want to offer advice/guidance?

WWW.SPF.FORPROD.VT.EDU/FACTSHEETS/CATNIP.PDF

An excellent article on the growing and harvesting of catnip, that we used when we grew our own supply for our mountain lions.

I should note though, that the catnip worked great with the socialized adult Cougars [i hesitate to use the word 'tame], and the subsequent 2 kittens. Had absolutely NO affect on the wild 250 lb. adult male with leg/feet problems we rescued from a puppy mill - even after we had his foot/leg problem surgically corrected so that he was pain free.

Tull

While stocking up on cat chow last week I bought one of those little live catnip plants. Its been real popular with my housemates, loved and chewed half to death so maybe I could grow some of my own.

Any gardeners want to offer advice/guidance?

Why does the phrase "Iron Pony, trafficker in catnip" spring to mind?

Thanks Prof, I'll book mark that one and see whats what.

Chantry, hey at least I dont plan on cultivating anything else, well maybe some heirloom tomatoes....

UB, its strange but the live stuff doesnt make them act goofy like the dried does. When I get all three gooned on catnip its worth the price of admission to watch em go bat crap crazy then catatonic. Kind of like they ran into a wall and stunned themselves into a stupor.

Watch that video and when the second dog appears, the cat knows where he is at all times.

Watch that video and when the second dog appears, the cat knows where he is at all times.

The Force is strong in that one. ;)

We bought 1 of the quick, grow [1 week] cat grass at the local pet supplies. Added water, watched a week and nada. half of the grass was 3 inches tall, the other side was only about 1 inch. and it didn't look to healthy so we threw it away.

Hmmmmm, light sabers in the Gunfighter category! :D

Archived