SASS Wire Forum

Average age

Tucumcari Tim

And I'm 78, and while I usually take the Olde Pharts ribbon, there are sometimes others shooting that are older than me. While we have some younger competitors, I think the most would run in their Mid 50's and thru their 60's, and early 70's.

RBK

I may not have put in the correct criteria, but I did a search and didn't see this right away, so I'll ask it. Is there any information as to the average age of members in SASS? As a recently new recruit, I was curious as to what the future of this sport looks like concerning younger members. The "baby boomers", it seems, are the majority due to the exposure of western themed shows when we grew up, but those have almost disappeared. Even though SASS is still experiencing growth and looks to be strong, I wonder what is bringing in the younger participants. Whatever it is, I sincerely hope that it continues.

Tuke

Around 12...at heart! :ph34r:

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Heck, that's kind of hard to say.

SASS ain't gonna put that info out, neither.

My wife & I are in our 50's [YES, SHE'S YOUNGER!!!].

And it looks like there's about as many older as there is younger at our monthly matches.

Mustang Gregg

From my observation, CASs are ageless. I've seen non-shooter couch potatoes who's only exercises are reaching for the remote, yet see 60s, 70s, 70+ CAS run like gazelles through stages, are some of the best posse workers, have memories better then a teen at going through the scenarios. There's something about CAS that brings the youth out. MT

Do you remember when that was? I don't! :lol:

Uhhhh....not really, exactly....no, I'm not quite sure, could've been, no....wait a minute.....now I'm really not sure...LOL :lol:

I still think my wife hit right on the head, back when I was 48. @ the 1998 THSS Annual Mounted event my horse took a pretty big spill in one of the early turns... and while even I thought it was bound to end badly, the mare found her feet and I remained in the saddle, even if I couldn't get my feet back in the stirrups at a dead run. As we slid to a stop (in a nice "reining slide stop"), my wife was standing right there. And with hands on hips, in a most stern-like "school-marm" voice she said, "...you blank-ety-blank idiot, you're forty-eight years old, THINK you're 24 and ACT like you're 12!"

I didn't, and still don't see a problem. Ergo... as far as I'm concerned the average age o a CAS competitor is likely somewhere near 15! :ph34r::lol:

It was suggested earlier that SASS keeps this information secret. They would have to have the information before they could withhold it. To my knowledge, the only time DOB information is collected is when junior shooters are being included in a family membership and then only to "verify" that they can be part of a family membership. Doe anyone know differently?

53. A few years ago the boy discovered girls, found one and moved in with her. Wedding is next June. Maybe after a couple years that part will get a little old and he'll start thinking about hunting, fishing, and shooting again. :blink:

I'm not going to give you a guess at the average age of the Cowboy Action Shooter. I'm going to give you the EXACT age of all Cowboy Action Shooter's who truly understand and grasp the idea and principle of the Cowboy Action Shooting Game.

The age was established long before Cowboy Action Shooting or SASS was established. The age was set by a fellow named Hank Ketcham, and it was the age of his perpetual child, Dennis the Menace, who celebrated his 6th birthday every year. Anyone who can get themselves into the mind of Dennis the Menace, and find the joy in "Playing" the game, has accomplished the task of perpetual childhood and the true Spirit of the Game.

Snakebite

Guest Texas Jack Black

SASS average age is early 60ish but who cares there are millions of baby boomers that we could market too. The paths are many, I only hope that SASS will eventually find its path to lasting growth.

Archived