SASS Wire Forum

Average age

Tucumcari Tim

I may not have put in the correct criteria, but I did a search and didn't see this right away, so I'll ask it. Is there any information as to the average age of members in SASS? As a recently new recruit, I was curious as to what the future of this sport looks like concerning younger members. The "baby boomers", it seems, are the majority due to the exposure of western themed shows when we grew up, but those have almost disappeared. Even though SASS is still experiencing growth and looks to be strong, I wonder what is bringing in the younger participants. Whatever it is, I sincerely hope that it continues.

Tuke

I don't know or have ever seen an average age.

Just a suggestion to you on how to get an approximate age. Look up WR or EOT or any other major shoot. Look up the number of shooters in each 'age base' catagory. Number of shoters x medium age for that age base catagory, then add them all up and then divide by the number of shooters you used. There is an approximate weight average age.

I don't know or have ever seen an average age.

Just a suggestion to you on how to get an approximate age. Look up WR or EOT or any other major shoot. Look up the number of shooters in each 'age base' catagory. Number of shoters x medium age for that age base catagory, then add them all up and then divide by the number of shooters you used. There is an approximate weight average age.

Hmmm...I wonder if a "major match" is a fair sampling of the overall membership for an age determination? My suspicion would be that folks still employed full-time, and young folks still in school full time, might be somewhat under represented in such a group. No facts, just suspicion.

LL

I think a lot of guys drop out of this sport when they start families or at least when the kids get old enough for sports. Also, I just don't think there's an abundance of pre married non-affiliated shooters who start this sport b/c of the capital outlay required. You might get some DINKS = dual income no kids beginners but I don't see a lot of that. So that leaves the mid life crises empty nester beginners who have the cash and time to start shooting once the kids are able to drive or out of high school as the primary target new shooter group. Just my own observations, not based on any statistical findings.

I just forwarded last months match results to a first time shooter buddy of mine and had to explain why he had 50yr olds shooting his wrangler category. Talk about being embarrassed of a sport. That last TG meeting vote on the age requirements was like asking welfare recipients to do away w/ welfare. That prior sentence will probably get some folks upset but I feel it has a significiant role in the "Ole' 4 to 5 year turnover rate" of drop outs which might keep that average age toward the upper side. I, myself, will not be renewing my membership when it comes due. If I want to shoot a state match held by a local club I'll join again for a year but I'm not travelling very far to shoot a match anymore. I don't feel good about supporting an org. that I have dissagreements with.

My suspicion would be that folks still employed full-time, and young folks still in school full time, might be somewhat under represented in such a group. No facts, just suspicion.

LL

Great point.

I know that is a problem for me. A good part of the larger matches seem to take place during the week which leaves me out in most cases. I'm 45 so like many folks who aren't retired, I work M-F with little in the way of vacation time when there are other things that consume that time. Therefore, the majority of my CAS activity has to be monthly matches or larger events that take place over a weekend. Naturally, I'd plan to attend more distant matches if I could leave work Friday evening and compete Sat and Sun then drive home Sunday evening.

Of course that would only work out for events that take place 8 hours or less from home. I may be on the younger side of the CAS participant average but I can no longer drive all night and perform half way decent without sleep like I could when I was in my 20's.

This is all good for me.....by the time I can retire maybe I'll have had enough practice/experience to not make a total ass of myself at a large match. ;)

Hmmm...I wonder if a "major match" is a fair sampling of the overall membership for an age determination? My suspicion would be that folks still employed full-time, and young folks still in school full time, might be somewhat under represented in such a group. No facts, just suspicion.

LL

Hi LL,

That is a reasonable assumption. I also know some older folks who no longer attend any annuals and some who only attend local annuals.

Regards,

Allie Mo

I attended a Larger match last summer, with 4 days of shooting over Canadas' July 1st. week-end that had about 20% of shooters under the age of 35 ,,,, and 27% of the fairer gender ....

Over 50% of my posse was under 35 and men over 45 were the minority ....

This is in a Cowboy friendly area and has a strong Local CAS group ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but most of these shooters don't travel very far to shoot .... And those like me that travel are of the Plus 55 age group for the most part ... Our group had 4 unmarried ladies under the age of 35 that also only shoot locally ,,,, one young lady I have known for a decade now is 20 now ... Both of her parents used to shoot,,,,, Now it's just her and Dad as Mom's health has turned bad ....

Great Folk !!!

Jabez Cowboy

LL

I did say approximate.

I gave a methodology to figure it.

Do the math and then give whatever correction factor (+/-) ya want.

So, far, no one else has given a better methodology. A couple of SWAG's have been mentioned

No flame intended.

I'm 31 years old, I didn't grow up watching Roy Rogers or even much of John Wayne. Heck the only place I really saw The Duke was on an episode of I Love Lucy. My dad did LOVE his Clint Eastwood Sergio Leone movies though and I have fond memories of watching them with him.

My generation grew up with ninjas, cop shows and video games and believe it or not, it was a video game that got me into CAS. It's called Red Dead Redemption. It sold very very well and is a really good game, if you're into them. Anyway, I loved the character in the game so much that I decided to recreate the costume for Halloween. In doing research on cowboy clothes and such I came across the words "cowboy action shooting" and my ears perked up. I had never heard of it before, and I grew up just down the street from where The Cowboys of Norco had been shooting since I was a kid!

Needless to say I had found my new hobby. It took me a couple of years to finally get all my guns and a cart, which is still not done. However, with a wife and a new baby at home, it's difficult to find the disposable income and time to get all the gear and attend matches.

I figure my story might give you guys a decent perspective as to why maybe guys in their 30's and younger may not be showing up in huge numbers, assuming they have even heard of the sport.

I'm 31 years old, I didn't grow up watching Roy Rogers or even much of John Wayne. Heck the only place I really saw The Duke was on an episode of I Love Lucy. My dad did LOVE his Clint Eastwood Sergio Leone movies though and I have fond memories of watching them with him.

My generation grew up with ninjas, cop shows and video games and believe it or not, it was a video game that got me into CAS. It's called Red Dead Redemption. It sold very very well and is a really good game, if you're into them. Anyway, I loved the character in the game so much that I decided to recreate the costume for Halloween. In doing research on cowboy clothes and such I came across the words "cowboy action shooting" and my ears perked up. I had never heard of it before, and I grew up just down the street from where The Cowboys of Norco had been shooting since I was a kid!

Needles to say I had found my new hobby. It took me a couple of years to finally get all my guns and a cart, which is still not done. However, with a wife and a new baby at home, it's difficult to find the disposable income and time to get all the gear and attend matches.

I figure my story might give you guys a decent perspective as to why maybe guys in their 30's and younger may not be showing up in huge numbers, assuming they have even heard of the sport.

Very good point Gute!!

But Red Dead Redemption has sold over 7 million units alone, there are other western style games.

If just 1 % find SASS,as you did, that would bring 70,000 new members !!!!!!!!

It looks to me that there are more westerns available today than at any time in the history of the world!!!

Western channel, History channel, AMC, TNT, Hallmark all have new and old westerns.

We have a half dozen local cable channels that steam westerns 6 hours a day twice a week…3hrs midday, 3 hrs prime time.

Gun Smoke, Bonanza, Little house on the Prairie seem to be on all the time.

I know young parents that show their children old westerns videos and DVDs because of the positive message and lack of violence.

Yep guys, remember those old movies were fifty rounds were fired and no one got shot!!!

The GOOD guy always wins, and honor above all else!!!!

I think “The Old west” is alive…be it computer games, today’s TV, or just memories of sitting around watching Old westerns with Dad or Grandpa.

Even the movies are coming back.

Even here in Florida, the old fart capitol of the world, a large portion of the shooters are below 49ers.

BH

Great story, Gute. I am an "old guy" (49) and have played Red Dead Redemption and I agree, it is a great game.

I don't see many young guys at the CAS events here either, there is the cost factor and younger people just didn't grow up with the presence of firearms the way I did years ago. I can remember getting up at 4AM in the Spring when I was in high school and going turkey hunting before going to school. I'd leave the place I was hunting and go to school early and take a shower and dress for school at the field house. We use to meet up with some of our teachers and hunt together. No way you're going to see anything like that these days. There has been this assault on firearms ownership to the point that competitive shooting and hunting is more and more frowned upon by the general population. Many young folks only exposure to firearms is growing up using them in video games where the goal is to kill as many AI or fellow players as you can. My Dad was retired Army and I grew up learning about gun safety, target shooting and hunting, all with the repeated mantra of using the firearm safely and responsibly. It's so different now.

I see alot of young shooters (in the teens) drop out toward the end of high school or once they hit college age.

I see some interest by new shooters around 30 but more around 45 once their kids get involved in other things and they have the cash to start the game.

I see some shooters drift off after 3-4 years of little improvement and changes in their lives that take them away from a regular macth schedule.

I see some 'more life-experienced' shooters leave the game becuase of health or money issues.

I see some 'much more life-experienced' shooters try to stay in the game even when they can no longer shoot safely.

Two main challenges: how to get more new shooters and how to keep shooters.

New shooters can be brought in if we make it easier: new shooter days, greenhorn category (one pistol, miss penalaties, no procedural), short matches with pistols only, loaner guns from the club (especially shotgun), DA category (two double-action revolvers, minimal penalty, allowed for one or two matches just to try the game).

Current shooters can be kept in if we make sure that they network with other shooters. Cowboys will almost always help with needs like working with shooters who do not improve or have equipment issues.

I see alot of young shooters (in the teens) drop out toward the end of high school or once they hit college age.

I see some interest by new shooters around 30 but more around 45 once their kids get involved in other things and they have the cash to start the game.

I see some shooters drift off after 3-4 years of little improvement and changes in their lives that take them away from a regular macth schedule.

I see some 'more life-experienced' shooters leave the game becuase of health or money issues.

I see some 'much more life-experienced' shooters try to stay in the game even when they can no longer shoot safely.

Two main challenges: how to get more new shooters and how to keep shooters.

New shooters can be brought in if we make it easier: new shooter days, greenhorn category (one pistol, miss penalaties, no procedural), short matches with pistols only, loaner guns from the club (especially shotgun), DA category (two double-action revolvers, minimal penalty, allowed for one or two matches just to try the game).

Current shooters can be kept in if we make sure that they network with other shooters. Cowboys will almost always help with needs like working with shooters who do not improve or have equipment issues.

Your "I see...." are spot on.

I see that if it is continued to be made easier for new shooters...... that you will loose the old shooters more quickly.

Either the potential new shooters buy into the present day concept, or they don;t.

Respectfully,

Blastmaster

Howdy,

after considering your question, listing the processes required,

flowcharting the processes, troubleshooting the flowchart,

critiquing the troubleshooting and second guessing the question;

I have determined my average age to be....

Best

CR

I was 58 once.... :rolleyes:

Do you remember when that was? I don't! :lol:

Well, I added up my age at each birthday and divided by the number of years I've been alive; turns out my average age is only 31-1/2.

Like they say, it's not the years, it's the miles.

Either the potential new shooters buy into the present day concept, or they don't.

Therein lies the problem. While the things Misty Moonshine outlines in the Evolution Revelation article in the Chronicle are good and may breathe new life into the sport for a while, they will not foster longevity.

A HUGE part of this game is wrapped around the romance and history of the American west. By and large, my generation (I'm 48) is the last one to give a hoot about those things. "Young people" today don't play Cowboys and Indians, their big-screen heros are of a completely different genre. The yonkers aren't "buying into the concept" of old guns and cowboy duds. They're too far removed from what those things mean... if they even know at all.

It's sad to see that part of Americana slipping out of sight... and mind.

Hello,

Stump's and Blastmaster's posts reminded me of something.

At the Convention, there were Steampunk costuming classes. In Miss Tabitha's annual Victorian fashion show, La Bandida and California Drifter converted Victorian costumes to Steampunk versions. Miss T. said SASS was encouraging Steampunk to appeal to younger folks who favor that fashion.

Maybe, with appropriate marketing, this will rejuvinate SASS and provide interest with a new group of people.

If you are wondering what Steampunk is, Wikipedia has the following to say.

"Steampunk is a genre which came into prominence during the 1980s and early 1990s and incorporates elements of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror, and speculative fiction. It involves a setting where steam power is widely used—whether in an alternate history such as Victorian era Britain or "Wild West"-era United States, or in a post-apocalyptic time —that incorporates elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. This technology includes such fictional machines as those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the contemporary authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld and China Mieville...

Steampunk is most directly influenced by, and often adopts the style of, the 19th century scientific romances of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, and Mary Shelley...

In general, the category includes any recent science fiction that takes place in a recognizable historical period (sometimes an alternate history version of an actual historical period) in which the Industrial Revolution has already begun, but electricity is not yet widespread.[citation needed] It places an emphasis on steam- or spring-propelled gadgets. The most common historical steampunk settings are the Victorian and Edwardian eras, though some in this "Victorian steampunk" category can go as early as the beginning of the Industrial Revolution."

Regards,

Allie Mo

Stump hit on the head. As a 45 year old, I really didn't grow up watching westerns. I never shot more than a 20 ga. double barrel until I was 30 years old. Luckily my father in law introduced me to the sport. He found it through a group of guys that that were shooting flint lock guns. They started doing woods walks with cowboy guns back in the early 80's.

I have a 17 year old son between lacrosse, 17 year old girls, the beach, and I'm sure school fits in there somewhere to loves to shoot, but could care less about cowboy guns. He'd rather shoot black guns any day of the week. I think the west has lost it's allure with young people. That's why the average age of sass members will continue to increase in my opinion. I see this at gun shows as well. The price of Colts and Winchesters have declined some and the WWII guns have sky rocketed in price. I see more younger people walking through shows with them as well.

Believe me I hope I'm wrong on all accounts.

Although I am of the age that still remembers a lot of the westerns in their first run, and would love for the "good ole days" to stay the same, I recognize the need to keep anything fresh if it is to have longevity. To hold the opinion that if they don't like it the way it is, too bad, is a sure way to kill any possibilities of growing outside a limited number of participants. Even though this sport cannot, or is supposed to be, for everyone, there has to be a chance for it to continually evolve and not become stagnant. I have read and researched that the SASS of today, has evolved from when it first started. I am sure there are staunch supporters of the current rules and regulations and also those that fought change when it was proposed before, but to attract a larger audience, there needs to be some flexibility of thought. Once you stop growing, you start dying.

A sport such as this should not be treated as a private club, but an opportunity for others to enjoy what we also do. I kind of like the train of thought from Tom Bullweed in the above response. Maybe an entry level category to allow those that cannot afford all of the basic firearms and accoutrements to participate isn't such a bad idea. I know that there are a lot of giving "pardners" out there that will help greenhorns with ammo and guns, but I , as an example, would not feel comfortable in borrowing such things and generosity can only last so long until there is a feeling of being taken advantage of.

This topic was started out of curiosity to see how many years I may be able to enjoy this sport. As insinuated prior, I certainly hope for many years to come.

Tuke

I'm 58 and most of the people I shoot with are in their mid 60's.....

Archived