SASS Wire Forum

Return to Big Rock

Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

Big Rock Range near Madison, IN and just East of Lexington, In is in the works to plan for reopening on the fourth Saturdays beginning April 28 with Reg. at 9 and shooting beginning at 10. This range was once a large shoot and hosted the Indiana State shoot. It is a great place to shoot and still is much like it was a few years ago. 6-8 stages plus long range and side matches as desired. It is owned by Southpaw Too, SASS Hall of Fame and still a fine shooter when he is properly motivated. If you have questions email me bwillfargo@aol.com and I will answer questions you have. You can also call me 317-738-4629 or 317-501-4008. Watch for future celebrities to be announced. :):P:blush::rolleyes:

This is were I started and will try to be there almost got burned up there but will not go into that.

I remember that trick that went the wrong direction and you were one lucky fuzz grower. Good to hear from you and I see from your great pictures all has grown back. A Hall of Famer is always a welcome person, but I don't know if Big Rock could stand two at the same time. Please come and we'll make it a great reunion.

The coldest I've ever been at a SASS match was at that range. We had one stage where you had to stage your pistols in pommel holsters and then get up on a horse. By the time I got on the horse, I had to knock the ice off my grips before the beep!

The coldest I've ever been at a SASS match was at that range. We had one stage where you had to stage your pistols in pommel holsters and then get up on a horse. By the time I got on the horse, I had to knock the ice off my grips before the beep!

We have changed the weather so that doesn't happen anymore and the horse has been retired.

loved shooting at this range years ago, still one of the prettiest ranges. I hope it can be brought back to its former glory.

BT

We hope so. It still has all the possibilities.

I'm gonna try to make it Bill. I didn't shoot all last year (except right at the end out in California) because of back problems, but I think I can get around Big Rock OK. Looking forward to it.

This is great news, Big Rock is one of the nicest ranges in the country.

Unfortunately, this match conflicts with the Ohio Valley Vigilantes which is a very special club and match to many of us in Ohio. I'll do my best to get to Big Rock sometime, I just don't know when that will be. In the meantime, I wish you guys the best of luck and success.

Bill, you are still my hero! That is great news. I am not sure if the Classic is on that weekend or not? KCDrover

Your choice honors me. Come any fourth Saturday. Will I see you at Pleasant Valley on the 14th?

I'm gonna try to make it Bill. I didn't shoot all last year (except right at the end out in California) because of back problems, but I think I can get around Big Rock OK. Looking forward to it.

I wondered if you were back to the winter weather. Hope the back continues to improve and not dwell as mine has for over 50 years. Look forward to seeing you soon.

• 6 months later...

Hey Fargo Bill,

What ever happened with the plans of Big Rock Range re-opening? I look forward every month to shooting at Pleasant Valley, but have never heard any of the pards there speak about Big Rock. Their web page looks like it has not been updated in a very long time. What's the story?

Dutch

Hey Fargo Bill,

What ever happened with the plans of Big Rock Range re-opening? I look forward every month to shooting at Pleasant Valley, but have never heard any of the pards there speak about Big Rock. Their web page looks like it has not been updated in a very long time. What's the story?

Dutch

Seems like all the other shoots that have caught on just take most of the past shooters to other venues. Really a shame as this is a great range, but it isn't working, maybe later. It's hard to do with 4 or 5 shooters.

Archived