SASS Wire Forum

Questionable excuses

Old Scatterbrain

We had a guy that would carry around a flat tire in the back of his truck to explain his being late all the time. Another had every member of his family die at some point or other. One of our supervisors ran into his "dead" sister one day and was a bit shocked to say the least. She laughed it off and said the whole family had been passed off as dead at one point or other. He didn't work for us anymore after that.

There was a girl I wanted to date in high school so naturally, I asked her out. She said couldn't go because her grand mother died. The third time she gave me this excuse I got the message and stopped asking. I then instituted the three strike rule. Any girl that turned me down twice didn't get a third chance to humilate me. A couple of months later I asked another girl out and was told she couldn't go because she had a date to go to another schools prom, Steerike one. The next week I asked again and got the same answer, she had a date for another schools prom, Steerike two. Two weeks later she approched me before school and asked if I still wanted to go out with her!!! I said "Sure", (I'm such a sweet talking devil). It turns out that she really did have two different proms to go to with two different guys. I took her to a movie (The Pink Panther) got her home on time and we have now been married for 43 years. Turns out the three strike rule worked pretty well for me.

Bugs

Boy, can we do stupid stuff when we're young. I worked at a FOMOCO assembly plant as a part-time fill-in for guys that didn't show for work on Fridays and Monday nights. I was a senior in high school. I was diligent in being there every Friday and Monday, but decided I needed to have a Friday off to go out with friends. I called in and said that my Grandmother had died. The problem being, my Dad who was well known, worked at the same plant and wasn't aware his mother was even sick......, so when people gave him condolences the following Monday, he was a little confused. You can guess what it was like when we crossed paths between him leaving first shift and me coming in for second that day. Wasn't pretty.

Several years ago, we had a kid say his dog chewed his cord on his clock radio, the problem was, his electricity had been shut off.

Another one, shop policy was work the day before and the day after a holiday, to get holiday pay. 4th of July was on a thursday. At noon on Wed, guy asked me if he could go fishing Wed afternoon. I said sure, just don't come back to work Fri. He went fishing.

Archived