SASS Wire Forum

Want to buy a 1911 type pistol.

Big50

Check out Rock Island Armoury brand (RIA.) You can get a good basic 1911 for under $400 new.

Check out the 1911 Forum for good info and deals. ^_^

Thank you sir. I will do just that. What do you think of the R.I.A. version?

if your interested in a stainless steel one let me know I picked up an amt from a friend who fell on some hard times. now amt has a hit or miss quality record. they were amazing or they were a pain. my friend used this one as his person carry and competition gun. so that should tell you what he thought of its dependability. I paid 400 for it so that's what id like to get. unless you have a sass shotgun you would be interested in trading. my father and mother need one. as they are just starting to put their kit together.

if your interested let me know

if your interested in a stainless steel one let me know I picked up an amt from a friend who fell on some hard times. now amt has a hit or miss quality record. they were amazing or they were a pain. my friend used this one as his person carry and competition gun. so that should tell you what he thought of its dependability. I paid 400 for it so that's what id like to get. unless you have a sass shotgun you would be interested in trading. my father and mother need one. as they are just starting to put their kit together.

if your interested let me know

Thank you. Do you have any sense of how old this AMT is? I have always liked them but just as you say they are sure "hit or miss"

Thank you. Do you have any sense of how old this AMT is? I have always liked them but just as you say they are sure "hit or miss"

I'm not sure the age but if you can tell by the # its a38xxx. I've only put one box of cheap hardball through it but at 25' it was shooting ragged holes off hand. the previous owner did say that you have to use white lithium grease if you want it to run smooth. I saw him use it in bowling pin tournaments and one idpa match he knew how to run it all right. I wouldn't have boughtit normally because its not really my cup of tea but it was a good price and he needed the help. he has since moved on to a different state and has no wish to buy it back so its time for someone who will enjoy it to have it. it is all original except the mag which is a colt 8 round

Looking for a 1911 clone for a shooter for Wild bunch and WW1 re-enacting

:FlagAm:

WB is not reenacting, so many 1911 or 1911a1 clones will fit the bill. Reenactors on the other hand are a serious lot regarding authenticity. If you wanting to portray a soldier during the Great War, you'll want to stick with a 1911 or clone. The 1911a1 didn't issue till 1924. A blued or black oxide finish would be appropriate for Army issue during the time frame.

In the past 8 years, Colt has done two "reissues" of the old classic. The o1911 was sold in carbonia blue, and the o1918 was sold in black oxide finish (often referred to as the "black Army" model). Both have period correct roll marks and were sold in replica vintage cardboard boxes, exactly as sold and issued in the period. These are not bargain guns, but would fit nicely on the belt of a WWI doughboy . . . and they would make the ultimate gun for WB "Traditional" category.

WB is not reenacting, so many 1911 or 1911a1 clones will fit the bill. Reenactors on the other hand are a serious lot regarding authenticity. If you wanting to portray a soldier during the Great War, you'll want to stick with a 1911 or clone. The 1911a1 didn't issue till 1924. A blued or black oxide finish would be appropriate for Army issue during the time frame.

In the past 8 years, Colt has done two "reissues" of the old classic. The o1911 was sold in carbonia blue, and the o1918 was sold in black oxide finish (often referred to as the "black Army" model). Both have period correct roll marks and were sold in replica vintage cardboard boxes, exactly as sold and issued in the period. These are not bargain guns, but would fit nicely on the belt of a WWI doughboy . . . and they would make the ultimate gun for WB "Traditional" category.

Yes sir, that is why I ask about a 1911 and not an "A1". I agree that either of the Colt "reissues" would be perfect. I do try and take my hobbies pretty serious and I have been doing "Living History" for about 30 years and my original 1911 made in 1913 has been great for a long time but I am thinking it is time to give it the respect it deserves and retire it from "the field" as it were. I am looking more for a clone that will not be devalued by being carried in a holster in somewhat adverse conditions and also will not mind have 2 or 300 rounds run thru it durin a shooting session on a weekend. Thank you for your insight, advice and wisdom.

Yes sir, that is why I ask about a 1911 and not an "A1". I agree that either of the Colt "reissues" would be perfect. I do try and take my hobbies pretty serious and I have been doing "Living History" for about 30 years and my original 1911 made in 1913 has been great for a long time but I am thinking it is time to give it the respect it deserves and retire it from "the field" as it were. I am looking more for a clone that will not be devalued by being carried in a holster in somewhat adverse conditions and also will not mind have 2 or 300 rounds run thru it durin a shooting session on a weekend. Thank you for your insight, advice and wisdom.

Didn't intend to offend at all. Only reason I commented was the R.I.A. and the AMT have 1911a1 design features. Im no expert, but I can tell you a real clone of the traditional 1911 design is hard to find. Several companies are marketing "mil spec" models, which are clones of the WW2 era GI-A1 issue model. Most current production clones are a mix of 1911 and 1911a1 features. The longer trigger and flat mainspring housing (1911) are very common and the longer hammer and longer grip safety (1911a1) are very common. Most guns have the 1911a1 scallops cut behind the trigger. The Colt reissues are the only modern guns I've seen that do not have the relief cut and maintain the frame geometry of the 1911. (Some may exist, I just haven't seen them.)

Looking for a 1911 clone for a shooter for Wild bunch and WW1 re-enacting

:FlagAm:

If'n yer lookin' fer a 1911 yer pretty much gonna hafta buy the real thing or find one of Colts reissues. I don't know of any company that makes a clone of the 1911, they all copy the 1911a1....

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Some possibilities:

Colt 1911

Colt1991

Colt 1991 .38Super

If'n yer lookin' fer a 1911 yer pretty much gonna hafta buy the real thing or find one of Colts reissues. I don't know of any company that makes a clone of the 1911, they all copy the 1911a1....

JJJ-D

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Some possibilities:

Colt 1911

Colt1991

Colt 1991 .38Super

Thats pretty much BS----

The Norinco's were actually darn good copies. Might be able to find one on Gunbroker.

http://10mmman.wordpress.com/2008/11/15/norinco-1911-45-acp/

Archived